Bill Maher | Bullying | News

Bill Maher Says "It Gets Better" (VIDEO)

MaherItGetsBetter

Comedian and talk show host Bill Maher is the latest celebrity to lend his famous face to the "It Gets Better" campaign.

In this video, Maher candidly reveals that he was bullied as a youth, due in large part to his diminutive size, and that he still feels shame for not standing up when his peers were taunted or tormented.

Watch Maher's testimony, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I am short AND gay... I needed this message!

=)

I love me some Bill Maher...

Posted by: George F | Sep 30, 2011 12:40:36 PM

2. I adore him for this.

Posted by: carb | Sep 30, 2011 12:55:54 PM

3. "It Gets Better", and then you use Gay people as the butt of jokes as often you can. ¬°Baboso! These IGB videos are Gay activist Lucha Libre masks that will fit over the head of any opportunist who wants to wear them.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Sep 30, 2011 1:07:27 PM

4. Yeah, I wouldn't consider this guy to be gay friendly... at best he's amorally indifferent. He has used gay people so many times as the unfavorable target for many of his jokes. He's just using gays in his own way like his mirror counterpart, Anne Coulter.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Sep 30, 2011 1:29:25 PM

5. Bill Maher is a smart, funny, and outspoken ally. Life is incredibly disappointing if you think that you are always above being the butt of a joke. Always consider the source. I appreciate Bill's support!

Posted by: RDUB | Sep 30, 2011 1:46:42 PM

6. Unless you're Marcus Bachmann and/or insufferably uptight, Maher's humor is not offensive to gays, and he's consistently been a GLBT ally. He has a lot of GLBT guests-- Chaz Bono was just on, for instance, and Dan Savage is a regular guest and was even a correspondent for Maher's show at one point. If anything, Maher's probably been more genuine on these issues overall than Jon Stewart and "The Daily Show," where Stewart sometimes puts on that "why can't we all get along" act, whereas Maher's more likely to call an idiotic bigot an idiotic bigot and not pretend like both sides are equally culpable and if we all just politely listened to each other everything would be okey-dokey.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Sep 30, 2011 2:16:18 PM

7. Again, some gay people don't have a sense of humor. Bill Maher is an advocate for the gay community and directly addresses the issues on his show.

I can't stand Bill Maher because he's a misogynist pig.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 30, 2011 2:20:17 PM

8. Lets not forget the starter of IGB project is always a guest in Bill Maher's show. WHO on TV has anyone more controversial and gay invited to their show than Bill Maher? NO ONE.

Posted by: Jake | Sep 30, 2011 4:16:29 PM

9. I'm starting to get all "meh" with this campaign. It's losing the punch and becoming meaningless now that celebrities are trotting it out.

I actually like Dan and his partner's first video. I thought it was long enough and powerful enough to send the right message.

Now, I think instead of filming these things start a grassroots community movement to start programs in the schools.

Posted by: Rin | Sep 30, 2011 5:24:27 PM

10. I'm not speaking specifically about Maher, but the humour of late night comedians in general seems to be highly instructional on not only "how" to bully but also "who" to bully.

Posted by: fern | Sep 30, 2011 6:14:15 PM

11. It's all part of growing up.... growing as a human being. Life is not easy and trying to make it easier is not the answer. AND don't be an idiot and listen to Hollywood. What do they know anyway???

Posted by: Susan | Sep 30, 2011 11:55:17 PM

12. go bill. I listen to his show for free as a podcast. he is such an ally.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 1, 2011 2:01:32 AM

13. I've always thought Maher to be gay.

Posted by: Spike | Oct 1, 2011 6:16:02 AM

14. @ Rin IGB was never meant to be the end all be all of helping gay kids. Why not have videos like these as well as starting grassroots initiatives in schools. The videos serve a function the initiatives will not, and that is allowing access to kids whose schools and/or parents are hostile to gay-positive interventions with kids and see gay adults talking to gay kids as "recruitment". That's why IGB was started, the kids in the most jeopardy are the most out of reach to gay adults through conventional, in person means.

Posted by: jj | Oct 1, 2011 7:01:57 PM

15. @JJ

I agree, but don't you think that it lost something when straight celebrities and athletes who probably never got picked on a day in their life make these commercials just because it looks good for them--sorry, my cynicism went into overdrive.

Dan's message, the first one...I was quite taken with it and I'm not a Dan Savage fan (but i love his partner).

Posted by: Rin | Oct 2, 2011 11:46:49 AM

16. There are plenty of people in this country who would like to see Billy-boy Maher beaten without mercy, for his thoroughly vile comments about women. This overgrown, sloppy-thinking scrap of scum takes no responsibility for what he says. He is not a responsible man.

Is that of any interest here?

Do you identify with Bill Maher?

Posted by: Fred | Mar 12, 2012 2:05:37 PM