Armie Hammer | Details | Film | Grooming | J. Edgar Hoover | News

BigGayDeal.com

Armie Hammer Opposes Inauthentic Gay Lovers, Chest Waxing: VIDEO

Armie Hammer covers this month's Details. In the cover story, he talks about the upcoming Clint Eastwood film J Edgar, co-starring Leonardo DiCaprio:

Hammer Ironically, the younger Armand Hammer is cast in J. Edgar as Clyde Tolson, Hoover's right-hand man, confidant of five decades, and lover. The movie is no Brokeback Mountain on the Potomac, but it does deal with a complicated and high-stakes attraction between two men charged with keeping secrets for a living. When he was initially offered the part, Hammer balked. "It wasn't the gay aspect I had a hard time with," he says. "When I first read the script, it didn't make sense why Clyde would stay around—because 99 percent of the time he's just taking abuse. But then it was explained to me: When you get that little glimmer of hope—like Tolson did—that simple kiss on the forehead, it all seems worth it and you stay.

"Tolson was the only man who treated Hoover like a human," Hammer says, finishing off his cigar. "They had lunch together every day and dinner together every night. Without exception, never missed it."

In Eastwood's estimation, Hammer delivers "a sleeper performance" worthy of attention and acclaim." Armie's like a throwback to that era," he says. "When Hoover started the bureau, he was 22. At 22, I don't think I knew anything. But Armie's more like those guys, with that ambition and maturity. He's very young but already a full-blown man."

He also plays Prince Charming in an upcoming Snow White adaptation. In addition to saving Snow White, he also saved his chest hair:

Four stuntmen are strapped into them, doing front flips, side flips, and 720-degree spins. "These guys can run as fast as horses," says Hammer, taking off his shirt and revealing a tuft of chest hair he recently had to fight to keep. "Julia had a line about how smooth my chest is," he says, "and it's not. So the producers were like, 'Okay, just shave him.' And I was like, 'WHOA. I spent 25 years earning this chest hair. I'm wearing purple tights and a codpiece, so, please, let me keep my manhood.'"

Watch a behind-the-scenes video of Hammer's cover shoot, AFTER THE JUMP...

(cover image via just jared)

Comments

1. He's interesting but don't look for photos of him at armandhammer.com

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Sep 13, 2011 10:48:34 AM

2. What is with Hollywood and shaving chest hair?

Posted by: tranquilo | Sep 13, 2011 10:57:37 AM

3. I've never seen Mr. Hammer act. It's must be coincidence that "The Social Network" is due to be delivered to me via Netflix today and he's starring in it. I have read many complementary things about him. He is exceptionally handsome and very tall at 6'5". I'm also glad he saved his chest hair. He doesn't have an overabundance, but IMHO he looks a lot better with it than without. Although I wouldn't turn him away if he did shave.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 13, 2011 11:07:57 AM

4. He's so handsome...My new crush! Tall, blonde and hairy...what else can you ask for?

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Sep 13, 2011 11:18:24 AM

5. If only everyone would keep their manhood!

Posted by: KevinVT | Sep 13, 2011 12:14:16 PM

6. You had me at "full blown man".

Posted by: Strepsi | Sep 13, 2011 12:21:23 PM

7. He's pretty much the perfect Nordic man.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 13, 2011 12:24:06 PM

8. I didn't realize he was the grandson of Armand Hammer. So that means aside from being gorgeous and talented and he's also filthy rich. Damn! Some guys have all the luck.

Posted by: txstevo | Sep 13, 2011 12:42:18 PM

9. It would have been very gay if they hadn't taken those pictures at dirty, rusty factory. Details is so damn butch, bra!

Posted by: Mimi | Sep 13, 2011 12:44:47 PM

10. His manhood is contained in his chest hair? Sad. :-/

(Also, hair grows back.)

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Sep 13, 2011 2:19:19 PM

11. Shaving your chest is like a lion shaving his mane. Der.

Posted by: lewlew | Sep 13, 2011 2:58:46 PM

12. I didn't know Armie has such a hairy chest....
    and I thought he was perfect before, now he's even MORE so.....*drools and sighs*

Posted by: moreplease1 | Sep 13, 2011 3:34:20 PM

13. @TxsTevo: Thank you for explaining that, because I was wondering why anyone would have such a similar name to Armand Hammer, and whether it was a stage name, coincidence, or relation.

So yeah, he's filthy rich!

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 13, 2011 5:10:19 PM

14. GREGOIRE

His half Jewish according to him. Also it's in the name, Hammer ain't a Nordic name....

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 13, 2011 5:38:33 PM

15. Bob R, I totally envy you your first time seeing "The Social Network". I sat mesmerized throughout the entire thing and can't wait to see it again. And Hammer is fantastic in it.

Posted by: justme | Sep 13, 2011 7:13:12 PM

16. He's GORGEOUS. I would do him in a minute. He always gets my full attention.

Posted by: Hot and Hunky | Feb 26, 2012 8:46:47 AM