Chris Colfer | Darren Criss | Glee | News

New Promiscuous Gay 'Glee' Warbler to Break Up Kurt and Blaine

Gleethree

Michael Ausiello at TVLine reports on a new gay Dalton Warbler set to topple Blaine and Kurt's romance:

Both Fox and the show’s producers declined to comment, but the buzz is that Sebastian is the polar opposite of Kurt in every possible way. He’s more like the male version of Santana in that he’s both promiscuous and kinda-sorta scheming.

“He’s our villain this season,” an insider tells me. “It’s a major role.”

Grant Gustin, who came from Broadway's West Side Story, is expected to debut in episode five.

Comments

1. How about not putting spoilers in a headline?

Not everybody wants to know what is going to happen.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Sep 28, 2011 7:05:52 AM

2. Wow...I think this storyline could work. Besides that new guy looks effing good.

Posted by: peng! | Sep 28, 2011 7:09:56 AM

3. ...because they didn't already have 3 love triangles going...yawn. How original.

Also, Kurt 'schemed' constantly in seasons 1&2, so they won't be opposites at all. As such, I'm predicting snark overload for this entire plot-line that relies heavily script-wise on the stereotype of the gay man as narcissistic and unable to commit. I'm not asking for a "politically correct" young gay couple to win-over Middle America, but this just seems like a complete cop-out.

Just predictably like Gossip Girl before it - the viewers dropped after the high school transition. Count me in the 38% that did for the premiere this year. Sucks, seeing as it had such promise.

Posted by: Leo | Sep 28, 2011 7:16:05 AM

4. Temptation is one of the things that tests a relationship; you haven't been chaste until you've been chased.

One of the problems with Kurt and Blaine being the only two out gay students in the show is that this eliminates one of the biggest potential tests for their developing relationship - being together seems inevitable, because who else is there for either of them to date (besides the closeted Karofsky)? This is a frequent weakness on shows with a small number of gay characters.

It's a stronger statement if GLEE shows Kurt and Blaine choosing to be together because it's the right relationship for both of them, and for that to happen they have to be presented with other options.

I wonder if naming the new guy Sebastian is a wink toward Ryan Phillippe's sexually manipulative character in Cruel Intentions?!

Posted by: Sancho | Sep 28, 2011 7:52:39 AM

5. A true polar opposite of Kurt would be 6'4", built like a brick house, with a thick thatch of chest hair and a deep bass voice that shakes your soul...

Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin...

Posted by: Rich F. | Sep 28, 2011 8:48:40 AM

6. I still think Blaine should fall for Karofsky, based on sheer animal magnetism--or maybe Blaine would feel sorry for him and try to help him, and then hormones take over. (He IS a football player...) Blaine and Kurt break up. Kurt does yet another torch song in an empty theater ("The Man That Got Away" perhaps?), then goes on to great success.

Not that Grant Gustin isn't attractive,I just don't see him as oozing the sort of charisma to topple Klaine--at least, not from the photo. (Say what you will about Karofsky, he doesn't fit the "pretty boy" stereotype.)

Posted by: Dback | Sep 28, 2011 9:08:00 AM

7. Thankfully, I don't watch this show- well, unless I'm with my bf, n it's Tuesday night. But I agree- I'm really sick of these stereotypical reps of gays- we're never monogamous and that's why out lives suck. And the article said "topple" not "test" - so one of them is gonna chest or do the breaking up. Like if they said they would have the new guy TEST heir relationship, fine, but destroy it? Yea- it just gets old. Ah well- at least the guys on Mod Family seem safe...... For now.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 28, 2011 9:10:02 AM

8. another reason not to watch..

Posted by: Grego | Sep 28, 2011 9:16:08 AM

9. I like the Karofsky idea which was in another comment. In any event, it's good to mix it up a bit... Kurt and Blaine are already getting boring. Actually, what would really be good is Blaine getting it on with Finn or Puck! Or maybe Karofsky getting it on with Finn or Puck! LOL...

Posted by: Mike | Sep 28, 2011 9:24:22 AM

10. Karofsky!

Karofsky!

Karofsky!

I want more of him on the show!

=)

Posted by: George F | Sep 28, 2011 9:32:24 AM

11. Bad spoiler Headline!

Posted by: wiley | Sep 28, 2011 10:04:58 AM

12. I think by now most can acknowledge the first rule of television relationships is once they get settled, they get boring. Writers are super keen on this, and will only let a relationship be untroubled for a few episodes.

Glee is a high school show, and a highly, HUGELY stylized one at that. If you don't care for silly high school drama between rather rad musical numbers, I guess this is just not the show for you.

Also, if this site is going to report on this particular Glee gay rumor, I don't know how it could have been done without the spoiler in the headline.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 28, 2011 10:16:09 AM

13. another vote for not putting spoilers in the headline-- or the picture for that matter

Posted by: Chris | Sep 28, 2011 11:49:56 AM

14. Actually, the referenced article doesn't say Kurt and Blaine will break up. It only describes the new recurring character as "a gay Dalton Academy Warbler who sets his sights on Blaine." That doesn't necessarily mean he'll succeed.

Posted by: Sancho | Sep 28, 2011 11:56:51 AM

15. "But I agree- I'm really sick of these stereotypical reps of gays- we're never monogamous and that's why out lives suck."

Well, Patti Stanger did tell us that gay men aren't monogamous, and who knows gay men better than Patti Stanger?

Posted by: Nat | Sep 28, 2011 12:03:29 PM

16. Blaine and Kurt really weren't right for each other, I never bought into the storyline. Go ahead Blaine, have some fun with the new guy, and hopefully it can evolve into a new late-night series on Showtime.

Posted by: Craig | Sep 28, 2011 12:31:51 PM

17. Blaine and Kurt really weren't right for each other, I never bought into the storyline. Go ahead Blaine, have some fun with the new guy, and hopefully it can evolve into a new late-night series on Showtime.

Posted by: Craig | Sep 28, 2011 12:33:29 PM

18. How about not making another gay whore character ad giving kids a gay role model/couple to look up too. All this is gonna do is show the stupid homophobes that their right about us

Posted by: Danny Mealer | Sep 28, 2011 12:54:49 PM

19. Imagine if they actually explored how their relationship could grow. Explore intimacy (as they have with most of the str8 couples). They could delve into Blaine's family who are pretty much absent and how they accept Kurt (or not). Silly to bring another guy in so fast. Another day at stereotype central for Ryan Murphy. Blargh. And yea- I'm a sucker for musical numbers in prime time so I will watch, but they could think a little more broadly. Not so cutting edge or interesting as it was. Spice it up by being unpredictable!

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Sep 28, 2011 1:07:01 PM

20. After 2 absolutely dismal episodes that followed last season's boring tirade, who cares.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Sep 28, 2011 1:22:13 PM

21. sad...why can't gays keep their hands off of other gays boyfriends?....bitches.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 28, 2011 1:54:48 PM

22. I am tired of Kurt (and that girl) singing the Barbra Streisand songbook. Halfway through "I'm the Greatest Star" I shut the TV off. Way too queeny.

Posted by: dc | Sep 28, 2011 2:20:20 PM

23. This is cool. A hot guy like Blaine would never go for a ridiculously queeny character like the other one.

Posted by: ynot | Sep 28, 2011 3:24:30 PM

24. Leo and Scott: You guys are analyzing this WAAAAYYYYY too much. It's a friggin TV show, and these are teenagers. Since when does "ability to commit" and "never monogamous" at the age of 17 have even the remotest relevance to anything? High school romance breakups are part of the daily drama that is teenage life. Seems like you wouldn't be happy unless Blaine and Kurt got married right after graduation.

Posted by: Don | Sep 28, 2011 4:43:47 PM

25. I agree the gay has been turned up to 12 on this show. I don't buy Blaine/Kurt, they seem more like ghurlfriends than boyfriends. Go ahead, throw a man in the mix because there isn't one now.

Posted by: dk | Sep 28, 2011 5:38:47 PM