Panicked Conservative Scott Lively Says War on Gays Is ‘Nearly Lost’

Picture 17 Over in the badlands of World Net Daily, the popular far-right zine, pastor Scott Lively writes that gays are winning the culture wars.

You might know Lively as the lunatic author of The Pink Swastika, which claims the Nazis were a gay front. He was an inspiration for the Ugandan kill-the-gays bills and claimed DADT repeal would produce an army of gay Nazis. Oh, and remember the time he opened a Christian coffeehouse and hired an indescribably creepy registered sex-offender as his assistant? Or the time he assaulted a woman?

I hate linking to his column, but it's worth a gander if only for the fevered imaginings and almost kitschy references to the "homosexual agenda." I'm especially taken by the opening extended metaphor, which equates gays with the conquering armies of Genghis Khan or a marauding cannibal gang from The Road. This guy can write!

The watchman's walls have been broken and breached, the village is in flames, and triumphal "gay" culture warriors are leading a long string of young prisoners by their necks into the woods. Most disturbingly, many of the captives, including some of the children of these still sleepy-eyed Christian parents, seem happy to go. (…)

We need to stand firmly and unapologetically on the hard truth that homosexuality is not a benign, morally neutral social phenomenon. It is an insidious and contagious form of sexual perversion condemned by God as an abomination. (…)

The homosexual agenda represents an existential threat to Christian civilization and we're in the final phase of the war, losing badly. It all hinges upon you, Christian reader. Either get into the "game" in earnest, immediately, or wave goodbye.

Translation: get in the war, Christian reader, or your skull will be thrown on the pile with the rest in the town center.

But seriously, as heartening as it is to hear that, in Lively's haunted little universe, the gays are winning, I can't help but think of the old joke about the Jewish guy keeping his spirits up in Nazi Germany by reading Der Sturmer for all the good news about Jews controlling the world.

Comments

1. says

What is scary is his vision of modern society as a primitive world where villages are scattered in a lawless land and are surrounded by defensive walls, which are being breached by savages whose captives are led away in chain gangs. Is he living in a George R.R. Martin dream? His love of a primal world–filled with indoctrinated citizens who are all alike in beliefs, looks and actions and are fearful of “the others”–sounds very much like Hitler’s world-view.

2. Bart says

Two things have always been clear about Mr. Lively: a) insanity often holds hands with a vivid imagination, and b) if everything in life is a circle, Mr. Lively’s over-fasciantion with everything gay takes him all the way around until he’s rubbing elbows with it in closeted ways.

3. AllBeefPatty says

First, the culture war is over. That ended with the GOP booing a soldier in Iraq because he was gay.

Second, sleepy-eyed Christian parents? Please! More like zombies. Remember, these people follow you.

Third, Mr. Lively, your beard is gay.

4. justinw says

I’m so glad the war is almost over. Spending the last 30 years of my life trying to destroy society by insisting I be treated as a full and equal citizen has me *exhausted*. I could use a brewski and a nap, and now Mr. Lively tells me we’re into the home stretch. Thanks, Scott! Kisses!

5. I'm Layla Miller I Know Stuff says

Pathologicals and Prejudice

In The Anatomy of Prejudices Elizabeth Young-Bruehl looks at such “primary prejudices” as sexism, racism, anti-Semitism and homophobia. She argues that they fall into one or another combination of categories: obsessional, hysterical, or narcissistic.

Obsessional (Malcontent) prejudice, by her definition, sees its objects as omnipresent conspirators or enemies set on one’s destruction, who therefore must be eliminated.

Hysterical (Histrionic) prejudice interprets the hated individuals as “other, as inferior, and as sexually threatening”. Racism is the best example of hysterical prejudice.

Narcissistic prejudice “cannot tolerate the idea that there exist people who are not like them”. She argues that homophobia alone fits all these categories, and this might help account for its persistence and prevalence.
    –Vannessa Baird, The No-Nonsense Guide to Sexual Diversity, pg 72

6. Dan says

The only thing I’m concerned about is this mindset of war … who’s to say out of frustration this assclown doesn’t get violent (or encourage an underling to commit violence)?

7. G.I. Joe says

I’m so glad you referenced that Jewish joke! I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING before I saw you mentioned it.

I often think about it when reading about how the Christian right is supposedly attacked and completely undermined. I don’t think we’re living in the same world…

8. Artie says

And now it’s…
    Springtime for Chris Colfer and America
    [step two three kick and…]
    Winter for Xtians and Iran
    [orchestra string section]
    We’re marching to a faster pace…

9. Another Scott says

Long-term untreated mental illness much?

He reminds me of Bobby Fischer (who also published a crazy paranoid screed or two). He additionally reminds me of that Gospel-preaching guy who sees homoerotic penises in the design of his local airport (he’s on YouTube).

I didn’t know, or had forgotten, that Scott Lively was in the (extremely vile) Oregon Citizens Alliance, much less physically assaulted someone while he worked for them. He apparently has a lot of years of homosexuality-focused rage-filled act-outs under his belt.

10. perkins says

What a great week, we now have the Catholic Church linked arm in arm with the other crazy rightwingers making veiled or not so veiled threats against homosexuals. Add to that the lockstep hatred of the Republican Party, and you’ve got the makings of a good ole Holocaust. Yes, these people are laughable, but why do I have a growing sense of dread in the pit of my stomach? It must be something I ate.

11. Robert in NYC says

Meanwhile, in the old testament from which he reminds us of “abomination”, that same part of the Jewish bible that also claims that stoning of women for adultery until they are dead and children for insolence, as well as polygamy is also condoned. Yet, he says nothing of that incestuous relationship between Adam & Eve and their children. How on earth could the planet have been populated unless incest had occurred among their progeny in a world that they claim is only 6,000 years old They conveniently discard it.

12. Danny says

isn’t it interesteresting how there’s always something unsavory–even grossly, darkly pathological (and usually hypocritical) deep in the hearts and minds of the loudest homophobes?

As we used to say back in the 70s, the louder they scream the louder they scream.

13. Who's in the barrel? says

Panicked Conservative: “If I can’t go after gays anymore, or Jews, or other ethnic minorities –what’s left?”

Laid Back Conservative: “We still got the Muslims.”

PC: “Hey thanks buddy. I almost forgot about them!”

14. Soupy says

I always like to remind these people that eating shellfish is also an abomination, according to Leviticus. Oh, and if your wife is menstruating you must isolate her and not touch her, because she is unclean. Shimp eaters, all of them.

15. Michaelandfred says

What?! The War is over? What the hell am I supposed to do with this hurricane I’ve been whipping up for over a week? A little heads up next time culture warriors!

16. Lisa says

Its unbelievable all the lies on this site. The only violence and hate comes from the homo agenda. The truth does hurt and thats why the immoral fight so hard against it.