News | Tech

'The View' Gals Discuss 'Is My Son Gay' App: Video

WhoopiView

Hot topic, indeed!

The ladies from The View yesterday discussed the controversial "Is my son gay?" app. You know, the one in which parents are asked whether the father is authoritative or whether their son watches football to determine his sexuality.

And guess what: Whoopi, Barbara and the rest of the gang are displeased with the stereotype-laden program.

Watch the gals break it all down, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Not only do I watch football, I play it. I can't dance to save my life and have to have my cloths picked out by my partner. I'm 100% gay.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 29, 2011 9:40:08 AM

2. I have to give props to Elisabeth Hasselback--she's come a long way on gay issues, and is now one of the stronger advocates for helping/protecting gay kids. Good for her. (She even had noticeable common ground with Joe Biden; is she becoming a centrist?)

Posted by: Dback | Sep 29, 2011 9:56:36 AM

3. Totally disagree with Joy. A parent should never ask their child 'Are you gay?' Instead, parents should consistently reinforce the fact that a child should be proud of who they are and the fact that they are loving and accepting of them no matter who they are - gay or straight, or somewhere in between or outside.

Asking a child 'Are you gay?' is only going to cause them to retreat from the topic or erupt into a fight.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 29, 2011 11:29:59 AM

4. Just check his phone for grindr! Seriously, as a gay parent, loving a child for who they are is the greatest gift a parent can give. Even if this was meant to be an "entertainment" app it's done in poor taste and only propagates stereotypes. Boo!

Posted by: Jacob Z Flores | Sep 29, 2011 11:45:34 AM

5. Thank you ladies. If only gay men, themselves, particularly those on this website, were as offended by stereotyping as you all are (instead of seeming to revel in them, themselves), then we might make some progress.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 29, 2011 12:00:29 PM

6. Well my mother did know gay people and made it a point to say there was nothing wrong with them (us) and not to use the "F" word. Then when I was 14 she brought me to a company picnic and asked her gay co-workers if I set off their gaydar, LOL.

Posted by: QJ201 | Sep 29, 2011 12:46:12 PM

7. I find this app to be in poor taste. However, stereotypes do come from somewhere and have some factual basis. I used to ask myself, when I first came out why it was that yes indeed I love musical theater, hate sports, love the wizard of oz, love fashion, jewelry,etc. I found myself fitting into those stereotypes and one of the best answers came from a female friend of mine. She thought that perhaps it is due to the fact that gay men are more in touch with their sensitive sides. Not to say that gay men who love sports aren't or those that don't like musical theater aren't either. It just made me wonder why it was that these stereotypes existed and why did I as a gay man fit them. What is behind it?

Posted by: Matt | Sep 29, 2011 2:04:30 PM

8. The app does not sound funny at all but really is someone going to take this seriously

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 29, 2011 6:01:34 PM

9. Can I just say Joy rocks? Not only is she a great defender of GLBT issues, but I think she hits the nail on the head when she said, 'wouldn't it be nice if a parent asked their kid instead of letting them hold it in in agony?'

Kids will of course only answer it if they're comfortable answering it, but if a parent even asks the question (at least in a positive way), kids will at least know that when they're ready, they can go ahead and tell and their parents will accept them.

Personally, given that most parents at some point or another have that "birds and the bees talk" with their children, that seems like the perfect time to ask, to me. Just explain that some people are straight, some people are gay, and some people are in between -- and then just simply state that it's okay to be any of them and that if they are, they don't have to be afraid of being honest about it.

In any event, that's what I'd do if I were a parent.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 29, 2011 8:11:13 PM

10. Its frustrating to see something I want to watch like this only to find out I can't because im not an american. love your site, but the vids keeps shitting me when they fail

Posted by: Thrutc | Sep 30, 2011 12:48:31 AM

11. I'm disappointed that they kept using terms like "guilt" and "fault" and "confess" -- as if they're talking about a kid who might be a serial killer.

Posted by: sparks | Sep 30, 2011 8:02:01 AM

12. Unable to View video outside of USA.
    lame.

Posted by: oliver | Sep 30, 2011 8:04:52 AM

13. They just did a free commercial for this stereotypical crap and then they pretend like they're against it. And Joy Behar's always insightful comments: "I don't like football either, does that make me a gay man?" No Joy, it makes you an idiot.

Posted by: Brendan | Sep 30, 2011 12:09:16 PM

14. With all the "straight" married men online looking for something on the down low, perhaps it would be more useful for wives.

Posted by: St. Pete Greg | Sep 30, 2011 3:00:59 PM

15. The questions that Barbara mentioned are laughable. If the author claims he created it as a humorous piece, then I would hope there is a disclaimer you have to acknowledge when you run it the first time (as with a Tarot program "this app is for entertainment purposes only.")

As far as stereotypes go, they have some basis in fact, and as with other groups who get typed, we don't all fit into certain categories. But even gaydar relies on the use of stereotypes to a degree, although it also considers actions and attitude and topics of discussion. But some stereotypes will set it off with sirens and bells and disco lights, such as a boy's room covered with posters of musicals and female singers (Barbra, Liza, Judy, Madonna, Gaga, etc.) And he may still not be gay.

If the app does nothing else but help open the dialog between a parent and child and helps to bring them closer together and alleviates some self-loathing for that child, it has some merit (even if it claims it's just for entertainment purposes).

Posted by: Randy* | Oct 1, 2011 9:53:59 AM

16. I very much like to thank you share !

Posted by: Coach Outlet | Apr 23, 2012 5:21:25 PM