Crime | News | Seattle | Vandalism

Vandal Throws Rocks, Note Through Windshields of Gay Seattle Couple, Says 'Get the F**k Out of Neighborhood

Seattle
(image king5)

A gay West Seattle couple were targeted in an anti-gay hate crime over the weekend, KING5 reports. Lyle Evans and Chris Ilovar woke on Friday after hearing a noise outside their home. What they found was that windows on both of their cars had been smashed. One car was in their driveway, one was in the street. Attached to one of the rocks was a hateful note, signed KKK.

West Seattle Blog received a report from the couple. Here's part of it:

Within a few minutes of the call, the Seattle Police department arrived. Officer N. Nguyen and his partner were the first to arrive. We then noticed that all 4 tires of each vehicle had been slashed. When one of the officers found the rock in my partner’s car, it was surrounded by a typed hate note. It read as follows…

God Hates F*gs!
Get the f**k out of our neighborhood.
The bible says God forbids men committing indecent act with other men.
Pack up your sh*t and get you gay sh*t out.
- KKK

Upon notice of this note, both the Sergeant and Lieutenant were notified and arrived on the scene. Another police officer arrived to take pictures and gather the evidence of the rocks and note. One of the police officers told us that they take these crimes “very seriously” and we were thankful for their presence that evening.

KCPQ adds:

A neighbor reports seeing two white men in the alley behind the house about the same time but it was too dark to get a good description.

"Just the ignorance of people still amazes me and the hatred that people have for other people is really amazing to me and it's something that's unsettling,” Ilovar says.

So while police investigate Ilovar and Evans plan to move on with their lives unafraid and because of the incident closer to their neighbors than ever before.

"If the intent was to destroy or to oppress that's not really working.  It's having the opposite effect.  So, it's making everyone in the community really rise up and come together and be positive and be open and vigilant around what's happening in our neighborhood,” Evans says.

Seattle2
(image kcpq)

Comments

1. This absolutely repulses me and yet I am surprised that they are taken back by the prejudice and bigotry of many in America. The GOP spreads this kind of HATE and wants this to happen to Gays in America. They continually ridicule efforts to stop bullying of our children, they have endorsed sanctioned discrimination by trying to pass laws not allowing gay marriage and they compare our lifestyle to beastiality and polygamy. I have said it many times in comment sections of stories like this: It is time the GLBT movement wakes up and begins to use our considerable wealth and obviously superior intellect to remedy this situation. Support only Gay and Gay Friendly businesses, politicians, states (with our tourism dollar) and other nations as well!

Posted by: John | Sep 26, 2011 7:42:06 AM

2. White people are animals.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Sep 26, 2011 8:53:20 AM

3. An anti-gay hate note addressed KKK? Yeah, sounds like 2 white supremacists, there are a fair number of them on the West coast. How Godly of them to threaten, and damage property of a couples' home solely because they are gay. Those people are demented.

What I take most out of this story however is the police action and community response and awareness, which has been very positive. All places, even Seattle, have it's homophobic activity, some more than others, but it's the response to these actions that indicate whether a city is gay accepting or not.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 26, 2011 9:14:10 AM

4. What people need to understand here is that West Seattle is overall a *very* gay-friendly place to be... I know lots of people - both gay and straight - who live there, and it is overall a really laid-back live-and-let-live kind of place. This is really unusual. What is *not* unusual is the neighborhood pulling together on this. I found this to be the case even out in the 'burb of Federal Way where I lived for eight years. My partner and I were accepted and taken in by the neighbors and were an active part of an otherwise straight middle-class neighborhood. The urban Pacific NW is actually a very cool place to be if you're LGBT.

Posted by: justinw | Sep 26, 2011 9:28:55 AM

5. AFA,FRC,WBC,CWA,FOF,TVC,KKK.......http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/hate.htm "You've got to be carefully taught."

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Sep 26, 2011 9:28:56 AM

6. LOL @ GWYNETH

I understand the point you're making--especially considering all the news stories about "Black homophobia" over the last few years. But your joke only works with long-time Towleroad folks who know that you are White. The newer folks may not get it. They'll think your just a "mean uppity Black Gay" with "petty resentments".

Thanks, GWYNETH.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 26, 2011 9:52:42 AM

7. I wonder if we will ever see the day when a homophobe leaves a note after a hate crime that actually makes proper use of the English language.

Posted by: shaun | Sep 26, 2011 9:57:24 AM

8. I want to let Lyle and Chris know that they have my support. I hope those responsible are caught and charged with a hate crime. This is the type of thing that hate crimes legislation was designed for.

Posted by: jason | Sep 26, 2011 10:00:25 AM

9. Catch them. I want to see at least some of these people I periodically read about committing these crimes caught.

To this couple:

1) Get home security system, unless you don't already have it.

2) Get guard dog[s] unless you don't already have them

3) Get perimeter outside security cameras with audio, unless you don't already have them.

4} Get a firearm[s], unless you don't already have them.

I hope this hate crime wasn't faked [MANY 'hate' crimes are faked].

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 26, 2011 11:51:18 AM

10. @ Ratbastard -- what is your evidence that "many" hate crimes are faked? What possible indication do you have that this crime was faked to even suggest that as a possibility? Or is this just another one of your efforts to see how many outraged comments you can elicit?

Posted by: MiloTock | Sep 26, 2011 12:37:14 PM

11. @gwyneth: HILARIOUS!!
    @Derrick from Philly : SPOT ON!!

Posted by: kranbree | Sep 26, 2011 1:15:44 PM

12. @MiloTock,

MANY 'hate' crimes are faked. Ask any prosecutor, cop, google.

Posted by: Ratbastard | Sep 26, 2011 2:31:25 PM

13. When you graduate from Capitol Hill, you move to West Seattle. This is commonplace, and people from South Park need to get over it.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 26, 2011 3:20:48 PM

14. @RatBastard: in fact, many hate crimes aren't prosecuted. I was mugged in San Francisco last year and the guy and his two conspirators called me "f'ing f**got" repeatedly before knocking me unconscious and taking everything on me (which was a lot, and they used the various credit cards to buy as much as they could before I had them canceled).

It was more than enough to be considered a felony. In fact, they charged the main guy with 6 felonies and 11 misdemeanors. I asked the detective why they wouldn't consider it a hate crime, since they obviously thought I was an easy target. He said it was because it was too hard to prove hate crimes---but not because I was full of BS. Just because there had to be a witness who would testify. Basically an impossible task after the fact when no one had intervened.

So you may, as you often do, be exaggerating to stir up trouble.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 27, 2011 12:15:55 AM