Movie: ‘Weekend’ Interview, Andrew Haigh’s Buzzy Gay Romance

Andrew Haigh: In my head I would have preferred it to be gay actors at that point. Just like everyone else I'm frustrated that there are obviously a lot of gay actors out there and for some reason not many of them play gay roles. I kind of thought Tom wasn't gay during the audition but there was something about him that just was Russell to me. And it's interesting. A lot of the straight people that auditioned they would find other aspects of the character and really work on those in the audition and that's what's important. Sometimes some of the actors who were gay played on the gay to such an extent that it ended up being a cliched gay performance. I can't understand why that was the case.

Nathaniel Rogers: You'd think it would be the opposite.

You would think so. The straight actors were so determined not to play it as a cliche that it kind of worked.

The auditions were improv. That's how the whole movie feels to an extent.

No. it's pretty much scripted. If you spoke to me and Tom and Chris we'd all have a different idea about how much is scripted. I was never adamant that it had to be word perfect. There were certainly moments when they would add things and it would go off the page. There were certain lines that I know that Chris, especially, added in.

Weekend-posters

Your new ad campaign, the Quinnford and Scout photographs. They're beautiful and I was so surprised because it reflects the film so well and sometimes advertising is, you know…

We were quite cunning. I'm friends with the photographers anyway so i knew i wanted them to do the stills.

Am I crazy… I thought I saw them in the movie.

They are in it! In the swimming pool. I told them 'do the stills as you would do your own photography of your own relationship'. That's all the stills we gave the marketing people so we kind of knew we were creating some kind of control. And also a friend of mind is a poster designer so he designed posters before the festivals.

I noticed it switched. First you had the poster of Russell & Glen in bed.

They've gone for the less gay ones which I kind of understand. I suppose you've got to be realistic about how marketing works.

But your first success was not at a gay festival so there's obviously crossover appeal. SXSW was the premiere and you won! How exciting was that experience?

To be honest it was terrifying. They don't play gay themed films ever really. It's not part of the festival makeup. We got there and we were playing against Source Code with Jake Gyllenhaal and our screening — the theater probably had 200 seats and there were 40 people in there — and we were like 'okay'…. It was the first time. I didn't think anyone was going to like it. You're so full of terror. The great thing in that screening was that distributors were there. They couldn't buy Source Code which was already sold so they all came to the screening which was perfect. It went really well. "Buzz" — whatever the hell that means — developed from that screening. Buzz is weird. It can develop from like two people. Two days later you saw in The Hollywood Reporter that Weekend was "one of the buzz films"  We were like how did that happen?

Um… because the movie is VERY GOOD.

[Modestly] … I don't know. It's hard for me. I literally edited this film in my bedroom while my boyfriend was watching telly. When I see it in the cinema i still remember it being from my computer. What's happened is more than I could ever imagine.

In your screenplay there's this great scene where Russell and Glen talk about being a "blank canvas" when you first sleep with someone. Did you think about that in terms of your career? This is your first proper narrative feature. It will always be the first impression.

I did think about that. Partly the film is about defining yourself as a constant process which changes. You come out and suddenly "I'm gay!" and that's how you define yourself for awhile. Quite quickly that becomes boring and you find new ways. It's the same for me in making this film.  I don't want to be pigeonholed as the gay director that made that gay film. If my next film isn't gay, people will be like  'Oh, Do you know what? He should've stuck to that gay!' But if I make another film about gay people, it will be like 'Obviously all he can do is gay!' I'm going to have to learn how to deal with it. In the end, i just have to do what interests me and hope.

I kind of don't want to make another film; it's too difficult! [Laughs]

Is sexuality something you'd like to continue exploring in films?

It isn't even about sexuality. What it is about is trying to be honest. I'm writing a script at the moment about two old people in their seventies.  Films about old people are lit in beautiful ways so they don't look like old people anymore. Sex in films is not like real sex. So It's about trying to be realistic about those things instead of just turning them into movies. I think in the end people respond. People want to see their lives onscreen.

Weekend-couple4

A film like this has a lot of festival premieres and special screenings. What's your favorite and least favorite thing that's happened at a Q&A?

I had one person who was quite angry with me that i cast someone who wasn't gay. He was furious. 'I'm gay! I'm an actor! [Responding] 'You didn't audition and I don't know how good you are as an actor.'

The nicest thing was a woman who had come with her son. 'I've never seen a gay film before and it was amazing. It's made me see my son's life in a different way.' Really sweet. I got choked up.

My mother would not like it. [Laughter]  She can't even handle swearing in movies.

My mom liked it! [Laughter] I was quite nervous. She got emotional — cried even before it started. My dad hasn't seen it yet, so i'm waiting to see what he thinks.

Aren't you worried they'll think it's autobiographical, what with all the sexual details?

I'm sure they probably do think that – they must think that! I try as much as I can to disassociate myself from the film when I show it to people and my family and everything. We're showing it at the London Film Festival and my mom has basically invited the whole extended family: aunties, uncles, cousins, my great auntie who is 90… Oh my god. [Laughter]

So during the Q&A you're going to be like "THIS IS NOT AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL!!!"

'It's nothing to do with me. i'm actually straight now! I told you I was gay but I'm not. I'm straight. It's about some friends of mine!'  [Laughter]

Weekend-quinnfordscout

road WEEKEND opens Friday September 23rd in limited release. The director will be present at several screenings at the IFC Center in New York this weekend. Check your local listings or keep up to date as it adds cities on the movie's Facebook page.

Comments

1. BABH says

“easily one of the best films of 2011 and one of the best gay films in many years.”

No kidding – I saw it at a film festival, and it blew everyone away.

Nothing particularly “fun” about this one, Jack. Just a very human story about the first time a man is able to imagine himself being happy.

2. coolbear says

Erich: Take me with you.
    It’s not just buzz; everyone who’s seen says it’s lovely, especially Chris New’s performance. Great job on the interview, too.

3. says

It’s utterly wonderful in every way. I didn’t know that Tom Cullen was straight. But the fact that he is actually helps the story in that his charcer is ratrher hesitant and reserved — whereas Chris New is a gay man like myself at that age. Out and INTENSE.

Ordinarily relaistic dramas don’t work for me cause I don’t buy the charactrs or situations. This time it did. The film really captures what it’s like to meet someone, have a one night stand and the day after discover that you want more. The timing for a film like this couldn’t be perfect what with same-sex marriage being so much in the news. Marriage? Many of us don’t even have BOYFRIENDS. “Weekend” captures what it’s like to be right on the dge of commiting yourself to another guy because you realize that more than just sex is involved. IOW it’s REALLY romantic.

4. perkins says

It’ a shame the interviewer kept dwelling on the sexuality of the actors almost to the point of obssession. When will we move past that? After all, it is called “acting”.

5. Hue-Man says

What disturbs me about the gays playing straight and straights playing gay tempest, especially from LGBT land, is simply this: Is there a single gay person who has never pretended to be straight? Consider religious great-aunt Susan or homophobic potential employer or cute guy you met at the coffee shop or, more seriously, a situation where being gay could be detrimental to your physical well-being. I personally don’t care what actors do off-screen and with whom, although I will celebrate and support those who support LGBT community.

6. stranded says

There is a reason why, when it comes to gay themed movies, I prefer them to be about lesbians. Maybe it’s just my movie experience, but I don’t feel that every movie with two men has to be dark, somber, melodramatic, depressing or a social comment on homophobia. In that aspect, lesbians seem to have more fun.

I suppose this movie is good, and I hope it gets more recognition, but I’m in no rush to see another gay movie that is dark and depressing. I hope it’s lighthearted and optimistic so I can get past the “gay men have casual sex” part.

7. Derek Pearce says

@Stranded– then you sure as sh*t haven’t seen many lesbian films, that’s for sure. Anyhow, this movie is not dark and depressing in any way. Thought-provoking & a touch bittersweet perhaps, but that’s a far cry from “dark & depressing.” There are several laugh-out-loud moments! And uh, gay men DO have casual sex, so I don’t get what your reticence is about that…

8. Sean says

I’m already bored by the growing number of films which keep insisting that sexually explicit material is still ‘acting’. Some people who work in films live by the idea that it will make it more ‘real’, ‘Shortbus’ being the perfect example.The sex is real; the rest of it ain’t. I can never figure that one out.

9. Nat says

“with two men has to be dark, somber, melodramatic, depressing or a social comment on homophobia. In that aspect, lesbians seem to have more fun.”

This film is really none of these things – it’s bittersweet and sad, but I think I could apply those words to most relationships. I know there’s a place for films where there’s only ‘happy’ relationships, but that’s not life for most people. There’s something to be said for pathos, and exploring the human condition.

“And uh, gay men DO have casual sex, so I don’t get what your reticence is about that… ”

People – regardless of sexuality – can have casual sex that leads to something more. I recently attended a wedding; the bride and groom’s initial relationship began as a casual one-night stand. That they were able to build a successful relationship – and then hopefully marriage – is a testament to the power of human connection.

10. says

Jack – they are young guys dressing in the contemporary style – not even particularly trendy. For Christ’s sake – they’re wearing t-shirts jeans and sneakers. Don’t be absurd. What a silly way to look at the world you have.

11. Zlick says

Wow, this must be a really limited engagement if it’s not playing in L.A. Um, “limited engagement” practically *means* Playing Only in New York and Los Angeles. What happened to the west coast part of the bargain? Le sigh.

12. says

Find more: http://movieberry.info/genre/romance

13. says

Nice article thanks for sharing this!I like,I am the first time on this site and am really enthusiastic about and so many good articles. I think it’s just very good. i like this type of articles.