News | Photography

A Snapshot of Three Months in England Taken with a Beer Can

Beercan

New Scientist explains:

Justin Quinnell left the "can cam" near Antony Gormley's The Angel of the North, the iconic 200-tonne, 20-metre-tall steel structure near the A1 road just outside Gateshead in the north of England.

After three months, Quinnell removed the photographic paper the can contained, which now held a negative latent image of the apparent movements of the sun, which are caused by the Earth spinning on its axis. "The image forms with time, like a suntan," he explains.

Comments

1. I spent three months in a beer can in England once and this is exactly what it looked like!

Posted by: Trev | Oct 10, 2011 1:23:16 PM

2. I dunno . . . this image looks like it was sprayed on. Like a suntan.

Posted by: Demian | Oct 10, 2011 1:58:44 PM

3. If this is real, which I'm sure it is, this is one of the best pinhole camera photos I've seen in a long time. Very cool.

Posted by: Trey | Oct 10, 2011 2:29:15 PM

4. It is very simple proof that the earth wobbles, doesn't just spin, but wobbles. If it was done for a year the width of the wobble would be about 23 degrees if I remember correctly.

I was named after this effect.

Posted by: Anna Lemma | Oct 11, 2011 8:03:49 AM

5. So the earth spins, wobbles and is tilted on its axis. Doesn't sound like anyone paid a lot of attention to the details does it? Or is that what makes it so special??

Posted by: manufacturer's defect | Oct 11, 2011 8:07:54 AM

6. Cosmic. Literally.

Posted by: tweedle | Oct 11, 2011 9:29:14 AM

7. Copy of the Coach purse is often a good way to keep the same visual style and high quality, but the cost is high, scratched.

Posted by: fake chanel | Aug 29, 2012 12:13:45 PM