Education | New Jersey | News | Viki Knox

Activists, Students to Protest NJ Teacher Viki Knox and Her Anti-Gay Facebook Comments on Tuesday

On Thursday, I posted about Union Township, New Jersey teacher Viki Knox and a controversy that had erupted over Facebook remarks she made calling homosexuality a "perverted sin" that "breeds like cancer" and attacking a school display recognizing Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender History Month.

KnoxThis Tuesday, Garden State Equality is sponsoring a rally and protest at Union High School at 6:30 pm:

Garden State Equality will protest this Tuesday, October 18 at 6:30 pm at the next meeting of the Union Township School Board. It's your chance to tell the school board to take action against the Union High School teacher over her alleged Facebook remarks that ruthlessly bash LGBT people. THIS TUESDAY at 6:30 pm, Union High School, 2350 North 3rd Street, Union Township, New Jersey. The school board meeting starts at 7:00 pm, but please arrive no later than 6:30 pm for our news conference and then to get seats. PLEASE SHARE THIS POST ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE AND FORWARD IT TO YOUR FRIENDS' PAGES.

Wrote Knox on her Facebook page:

"Homosexuality is a perverted spirit that has existed from the beginning of creation. The word of God refers to it often. That's if you believe the Word to be truly God's intended blueprint for his people. I have friends and loved ones who are practicing/ living as homosexuals. Yes I love can care about them. We hug and exchange gifts. We have family dinners. But how they live and their actions, behaviors -CHOICES are against the nature and character of God! Do I tell me so? Yes, of course. Do I treat them bad? If course not! Jesus never did that to ANYONE he meant. He spoke to them of their situation and offered them life eternal. He didn't say it was okay but we've all sinned and come short if God's will for us daily. That's why we Christians true followers pray, repent, and spend time with Christ daily. The Word of God instructs us to die daily to our flesh-meaning our will. What we want; what feels good to us; what we like; what we can rationalize and justify. I do not pretend to know ALL things. Nor do I pretend not to have biases, failings and faults. But I know sin and it breeds like cancer!"

See a PDF of the page HERE.

The Star-Ledger Editorial Board wrote a scathing assessment of Knox's actions in an editorial yesterday:

She might as well have hopped on a soapbox across the street from the school and screamed her anti-gay rant into a bullhorn. Or stapled posters to telephone poles around town.

While we all should be allowed an inner circle with whom we can speak freely, Knox gave up those protections when she posted her comments on the most public forum there is — the internet. She created a fearful, hostile environment for students. That’s unacceptable.

Knox has the right to a hateful view, but once her beliefs are made public, she doesn’t have the right to a taxpayer-funded, $70,688-a-year job in which she is expected to treat all students equally and with respect. She should absorb the harshest action possible, suspension or firing.

Comments

1. "Yes I love can care about them...do I tell me so?...Jesus never did that to ANYONE he meant."

This woman is a teacher? Aside from being reprehensible in her views, she should be fired for not being able to write coherent sentences. It does reveal her ignorance.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 17, 2011 8:13:04 AM

2. Congrats for the great editorial in yesterday's "Star-Ledger" newspaper. I hope this self-described "Jesus freak" gets her intolerant position thrown back in her bigoted face by the school board. However, I won't hold my breath. I come from a family of school teachers who practiced tolerance all the many years they taught public school students. While I know they had some differences with certain students actions and beliefs, if they could do right by those same students, so could this ignorant homophobe.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 17, 2011 8:21:03 AM

3. The woman can not write in simple English. Lots of typos-- poor sentence construction. I hope that she doesn't teach English Composition or literature. I'd like to know more about her function at the school.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 17, 2011 8:46:28 AM

4. How can an idiot like her be a teacher? Boy, do I feel sorry for her students!

Posted by: Peter | Oct 17, 2011 9:12:11 AM

5. I agree with the other four comments, if this type of stupid flies as a teacher these days, I feel bad for our children. If this woman wants to be an Jesus-freak activist, she can d that-----on her own time and own dime. Hopefully the school does what they need to do, and release this woman from her contract.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 17, 2011 9:27:22 AM

6. She should have been fired a long time ago for being an illiterate teacher. WTF?

Posted by: Ashlee | Oct 17, 2011 10:21:58 AM

7. The Star-Ledger editorial is absolutely right. Spewing intolerance in a public forum like Facebook is no different than shouting it on a street corner or in front of the school where you teach. She had the right to say whatever she wanted to say, but once that speech becomes public (as it does on Facebook) and creates a hostile environment in the classroom that is detrimental to the learning experience of her students, she's crossed the line. Those who were vigorously protecting her the other day (arguing that Facebook is protected private speech or that free speech should also be free of consequences), or even ludicrously comparing her to Frank Kameny, should read this sensible editorial.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 17, 2011 10:28:27 AM

8. Here's the deal - as long as this woman works for a PUBLIC school, she CANNOT be fired and is PROTECTED by the First Amendment. Please people, stop acting like Dr. Laura, Sarah Palin and Merle Haggard. KNOW WHAT THE FIRST AMENDMENT IS ! What she said was deplorable. She should be protested. But she works for a government organization and the government cannot reprimand or punish her for the crazy, hateful sh*t she says ! It's up to the people to protest her words - NOT THE GOVERNMENT. If she worked for a private school, then yes, she should be fired immediately. But her hate speech is protected if she works for a government run, taxpayer funded, public school.

Posted by: Tre | Oct 17, 2011 11:21:02 AM

9. Mrs. Knox is a true believer in the word of God. God's word does say that homosexually is unseemly and to turn away from from them. His word also says that people would despise those that are good. I am a Christian which means I trust God and believe in His word. That does not make me a "Jesus freak" but it does make me a candidate for a healthy Godly lifestyle, one not filled with prejudice, hatred or vengeance. This belief also makes me care about the human being and his phlight. God has the best answer for living. Man may think his way is right but it leads to destruction. God doesn't make mistakes. Should Mrs. Knox be fired, NO. I believe she is probably one of the best teachers at the school. She promotes truth with love and that's the way it should be received.

Posted by: Betty | Oct 17, 2011 12:34:22 PM

10. If my child was a student at that school, I would make damn sure that this person was not teaching her. I would make sure that she also would never have access to my child, ever speak to them, or have any contact whatsoever. Iw ould go down to the school and make that known, and speak to her directly myself so she knew how serious the matter was. And that would be whether or not my child was LGBTQ or not!

Parents have much of the power, so if no one would take her class, she would be O-U-T.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 17, 2011 12:44:24 PM

11. "Here's the deal - as long as this woman works for a PUBLIC school, she CANNOT be fired and is PROTECTED by the First Amendment."

She is not necessarily protected by the First Amendment. Many public teacher contracts specifically address what their employees can and cannot do in public and on public forums, ones that are viewed as representative of the school. (It could be argued that these contracts are unconstitutional, but that's a separate question.) Furthermore, you cannot simply say anything anytime anywhere with no consequences. Having the right to say something is quite different from being able to say it without penalty. Facebook itself controls speech. Speech is controlled all kinds of places. When speech leads to a hostile environment it becomes action, and students need to be protected from an atmosphere that interferes with their learning process.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 17, 2011 12:53:44 PM

12. Public school teachers should not be on Facebook. They should have more circumspect and respect for the student-teacher non-fraternization policies than to post on social media networks.

It is a huge responsibility to be a teacher and if you can't handle it...don't teach.

She should be forced to take administrative leave just a they forced the gay teacher with the faux blowjob picture to do so.

Fair is fair.

Posted by: Rin | Oct 17, 2011 1:41:19 PM

13. I'm a very strong advocate for First Amendment protections, even going beyond the letter of the law. But TRE, you're wrong about how it applies in this situation. The courts have repeatedly found that employers are not only allowed but actually required to step in when an employee is creating a hostile work environment. If she were constantly haranging a fellow teacher who was gay, the school would have to step in. And while this is an educational setting and the students are not co-workers, and courts have limited protections that students are afforded, I would be surprised if they didn't find for a hostile educational environment.

Had she posted her comments anonymously (and then someone tracked down her identity), or had she used her privacy filters appropriately to keep her diatribe out of view of her stdents, that would be one thing and I would be defending her First Amendment rights. Had she been marching in a parade and someone happened to take a snapshot, I would be defending her. But her screed was targeting students and frightening them. How could a gay student possibly return to that class?

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Oct 17, 2011 2:36:59 PM

14. "KNOW WHAT THE FIRST AMENDMENT IS !"

How about you take your own advice?

Nobody has denied this idiot her First Amendment rights. The entire reason we're discussing her is because she enjoyed the full exercise of her First Amendment rights. Now she can enjoy the consequences of exercising them.

Why do you believe that hateful idiots have an inalienable right to work in public schools? Do you not understand employment law? Contracts? Morals clauses? Social media provisions?

Since you don't understand something as fundamental as the First Amendment, I'm not the least bit surprised all the rest of that is also beyond your grasp.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 17, 2011 2:55:33 PM

15. "I am a Christian which means I trust God and believe in His word."

There are no gods, you moron. And you're not even following your own mythology. In the bible, Jesus never said one word about gay people.

If you're going to be a bigot, don't compound it by being a coward and hiding behind the sky fairy -- especially when the sky fairy disagrees with you! Just be a bigot. You're still a failure and a freak no matter what, so it's not like you've got anything to lose.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 17, 2011 2:58:45 PM

16. Would one of these Jesus freaks please quote a passage in the New Testament where Jesus condemned homosexuality.

Posted by: Bill Cooney | Oct 17, 2011 3:44:21 PM

17. @Bill

they won't and can't. They just quote their interpretation of Paul (the protestant's "Jesus") and misquote the Hebrew Bible.

Jesus only condemned hypocrites and those who sat on their asses and did nothing to help the poor and needy...that's why most protestants are uncomfortable with the Gospels.

Posted by: Rin | Oct 17, 2011 3:53:37 PM

18. "Homosexuality...has existed since the beginning of creation," says viki Knox. Doesn't that mean she thinks I was created in her God's image? Her God made me gay? And her problem with that is...? To quote Gordon Merrick, "they say if it's love, the Lord won't mind." My sentiments, exactly1

Posted by: MichaelD1026 | Oct 17, 2011 4:00:36 PM

19. I will exercise my 1st Amendment rights by saying "Miss Viki can take her bible and shove it up her who-ha!". Sorry Ms. Knox--but i dont believe in your bile...err, i mean bible.

Posted by: Chicklets | Oct 17, 2011 7:59:39 PM