Clay Aiken | Donald Trump | Gay Marriage | George Takei

Clay Aiken, George Takei to Compete on Homophobe Donald Trump's 'Celebrity Apprentice'

The cast of this year's Celebrity Apprentice has been announced and it includes two celebrities who have been fairly outspoken for LGBT rights in recent years, the AJC reports:

Takei"The fifth season of “Celebrity Apprentice” features no Atlantans for the first time since 2008 but will include  its very first ‘American Idol” alum: Clay Aiken, according to People magazine....But will he be able to get along with the likes of Adam Carolla (comic), Debbie Gibson (1980s pop star), Arsenio Hall (talk show host), Cheryl Tiegs (model/actress), Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), Therese Guidice (sic) (”Real Housewives of New Jersey”) and George Takei (”Star Trek”)? There are clearly some strong personalities there, which is what makes this show tick. Guidice, of course, is the NeNe Leakes of this year’s crew. Snider even showed up in the past “Apprentice” and looks to be this year’s Meat Loaf type. Hall will surely make his presence known, as will Carolla. Aiken will mix it up for sure, too."

Takei married Brad Altman in September 2008.

As you may recall, Trump has been loud about his opposition to same-sex marriage and partner benefits for same-sex couples.

TrumpThe Des Moines Register spoke with Trump in March:

"Asked whether he supports allowing same-sex couples to marry, Trump said no. Iowa conservatives have overwhelmingly opposed the 2009 Iowa Supreme Court decision overturning the state’s ban on gay marriage."

“They should not be able to marry,” he said. But asked whether gay couples should be able access the same benefits as married couples, he said his “attitude on it has not been fully formed. Given a second to think, Trump said on marriage and civil benefits, “As of this moment, I would say no and no.”

You might also recall that he compared same-sex marriage to an ugly golf club.

“It’s like in golf,” he said. “A lot of people — I don’t want this to sound trivial — but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive,” said Mr. Trump, a Republican. “It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And, I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.”

Comments

1. No gay person should go anywhere near Trump and his show. If these two guys have any sense of pride in their being gay, then appearing on this show puts the "whore" in "media whore".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 14, 2011 11:44:43 AM

2. so since the President feels the same way about gay marriage, gays should stay away from him too?

Posted by: ousslander | Oct 14, 2011 12:17:27 PM

3. I don't think the Donald is a homophobe. He said very nice things of GOProud and hung out with them.

What he said about gay marriage and whatnot was all a show, just like the whole maybe I will run stunt that he pulled. The Donald supports democrats more so than republicans.
    So Andy, I suggest you do some research before you make simpleton claims.

I must stress I am not a fan of The Donald, but neither am I fan of simpleton claims.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Oct 14, 2011 12:22:22 PM

4. Oh come on now ..George Takei is a Great Person, and who knows - maybe he'll be "controversial" ..

Posted by: Gay American | Oct 14, 2011 12:27:26 PM

5. @Joe Soto

If you make anti gay remarks for "just a show" that is just as bad as actually believing it. It's actually worse because then you are just a phony.

I hate celebrity editions of anything. I liked The Apprentice in its original format, being a business major. But, after the whole birther controversy and his anti gay statements I can't support ANYTHING this man is associated with.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 14, 2011 12:34:30 PM

6. Ousslander, President Obama has never called a gay person, "degenerate", which is what Trump called Rosie O'Donnell. He is a nasty homophobe, and it goes beyond his political ideas.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 14, 2011 12:35:34 PM

7. I've always found D. Trump vulgar, loud and crass. A prime example of more money than class. Just plain tacky.

I suspect he doesn't have all that much money either. Why do a tv show like his if you have so much going on?

Posted by: Face it | Oct 14, 2011 12:40:44 PM

8. Jose Soto,

Get real! Trump was more than happy to engage in racist and homophobic posturing when he was "contemplating" running for president. In doing so, he helped to engender bigotry while boosting his popularity. Look at all of the Republican presidential hopefuls who now make the trip to New York to kiss his ring.

Barf!

I question why anyone with any integrity would appear on Trumps' show. The man is revolting.

It's also revolting that you seem to be able to easily dismiss Trumps' "show." The GOP has been running this kind of show for decades and passed legislation for "show" that has oppressed gays and people of color for decades. (See forty years of the Southern Strategy or the anti-gay marriage laws!)

Also, Republicans have a long history of saying bigoted things and being embraced by the media as mainstream pundits. Look at Pat Buchanan, racist, homophobe, and anti-semitic. He can spout bigotry, go on Neo-Nazi hosted talk shows and still be invited as a sage conservative commentator!

Posted by: Jensen | Oct 14, 2011 12:45:07 PM

9. As a gay man, if I were to actually watch CELEBRITY APPRENTICE, I would have to wallpaper every mirror in my house in shame (it's pretty detestable that any gay man watches it. Maybe they have no mirrors? Or shame?). But for gays to APPEAR on it? Unfathomable and unforgiving.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Oct 14, 2011 12:52:07 PM

10. When The Donald smells money, all his prejudices seem to fade away.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 14, 2011 12:57:14 PM

11. Donald Trump is living proof that money cannot buy class (although I'm convinced he's not worth nearly as much as he would have us believe). He's also a known adulterer who thinks he should be able to determine who can and can't be married. I'm sure George Takei is going into this thinking that he will somehow prove to Trump how normal and wonderful gay people are. Nonsense. Trump will remain the crass, arrogant hypocrite he has always been.

Posted by: Walt | Oct 14, 2011 1:15:13 PM

12. If they are playing for pro-gay charities then good for them. Love to see them take the Donald's money for something he opposes.

Posted by: Craig | Oct 14, 2011 2:00:00 PM

13. How unfortunate. I had a good degree of respect for George Takei until I read this.

Posted by: Tone | Oct 14, 2011 2:04:04 PM

14. Debbie Gibson is also very much one of our allies.

Posted by: Alessar | Oct 14, 2011 3:05:05 PM

15. I am a straight woman who has a number of gay male friends. I think Donald Trump is a loud-mouthed idiot, but for some reason I enjoy Celebity Apprentice. I don't like it, though, when he fires people for stupid reasons. I think George Takei is a pretty awesome guy and can handle Donald's comments. I don't know what charity George will play for, but I know Clay Aiken will play for the foundation he created, The National Inclusion Project, which funds programs primarily at YMCAs and summer camps that include children with handicaps along side non-handicapped children. Inclusion. It's a really great program, and Clay is a very smart guy. I'm not really worried about either of them vs The Trumpster. Trump will keep them around for a while if they contribute to ratings. But those other contestants can be vicious. They're the scary ones.

Posted by: azalea | Oct 14, 2011 4:45:57 PM

16. Entertainment Weekly picks Clay 2-1 as the favorite to win.

Posted by: Gary | Oct 14, 2011 5:17:16 PM

17. I really doubt Clay will win. The reality stars are always at a big disadvantage because they don't have the deep pocket connections of other kinds of celebs and raising money is such a big part of many tasks.

Posted by: jj | Oct 16, 2011 12:01:49 AM

18. Prejudice = ignorance. Maybe by spending time with both Clay & George, it might open Mr. Trump's eyes and mind to the fact that a gay person is no different from a straight person and should be allowed every right they are entitled to. Also, I'm sure both Clay & George are putting the needs of their charities before anything else - including Mr. Trump's ignorance.

Good luck to both men!

Posted by: Jen | Oct 16, 2011 8:00:58 AM

19. I'm proud of Clay and George taking on Celeb App. They're working for their respective charities, and are quite intelligently overlooking Trump's homophobia, in pursuit of their goals. And just maybe they'll enlighten Trump along the way. It's a win-win and I'm hopeful that the LGBT crowd tunes in to support two of our great spokespeople, Clay and George.

Posted by: luckyo | Oct 18, 2011 1:47:07 PM

20. Clay has many friends with very deep pockets. For example Tyra Banks, David Foster, Diane Sawyer, Kelly Clarkson, and many Broadway stars.

Posted by: carol | Oct 24, 2011 7:50:08 AM

21. Clay isn't just a reality star. That's where you go wrong. He's sold millions and millions of cds and toured more than anyone I know, sometimes 3 times in a year. He starred on Broadway for a year and wrote a NY Times bestseller. This guy is 10 years into a very successful career. The Reality gig is ancient history and he has meny powerful and super rich friends.

Posted by: Gary | Oct 24, 2011 3:39:44 PM

22. Clay will be a tough contender in this competition. Clay started his own charity before he was even 30 years old. Clay is a very smart man. Clay is knowledgable about his facts and is patient, but at the same time very persistent. Clay is also very personable. He can get along with anyone due to his high tolerance level. But Clay can also be full of fire when a point needs to be made. I'm sure Trump will be quite impressed. GO CLAY!!

Posted by: Deanne | Oct 31, 2011 10:17:12 AM

23. Can;t wait for his interview on the Adam Carolla Podcast this week!

Posted by: Kristina | Nov 27, 2011 11:20:57 PM