Dan Kloeffler | I'm Gay | News | News Clips | Zachary Quinto

Zachary Quinto Inspires ABC 'World News Now' Anchor Dan Kloeffler to Come Out, Reach Out for a Date: VIDEO

Kloeffler

ABC 'World News Now' anchor Dan Kloeffler came out on the air last night. He writes:

Kind of a big moment for me while filling in on World News Now, which is by far the most fun you can legally have at 3:00 in the morning! Yunji de Nies and I were talking about celebrity headlines, when I read the story about Zachary Quinto, who played Spock in “Star Trek,” coming out as gay in a magazine interview. Because WNN is a show where you can offer some personality, I had a little fun with the story saying that I would drop my rule against dating actors.

I’ve never shared that I’m gay on-air, even though I’ve been out to my family, friends and co-workers for years. In fact, an old boyfriend – now best friend – has always given me a hard time about not doing so. But for the same reason that Zach decided to come out, I too, no longer wanted to hide this part of my life.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Honestly, World News Now is far more entertaining than you'd expect.

Posted by: Robert | Oct 17, 2011 7:31:22 PM

2. I love this! Kudos to both, and perhaps even more gay celebrities will come out.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Oct 17, 2011 7:41:34 PM

3. Ah, World News Now was where I first found Anderson Cooper. Kismet?

Posted by: theo | Oct 17, 2011 7:44:11 PM

4. That was "coming out" ? Geez, he sort of played it for laughs. I wouldn't have taken him seriously if it hadn't been for the follow up reporting. Hey, whatever works. Good for him. Maybe he'll get that date...

Posted by: norseman | Oct 17, 2011 7:45:14 PM

5. Bravo!

Posted by: Max | Oct 17, 2011 7:53:23 PM

6. Awesome! Hopefully this will be the new "celebrity deaths", in that they will always come in at least 3s.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 17, 2011 7:59:15 PM

7. @Max +1

Posted by: Felix | Oct 17, 2011 8:04:38 PM

8. @Norseman: Geez, give the poor guy a break--he was nervous! He was coming out on live TV for God's sake. And the "it gets better" talk at the end made it pretty obvious he wasn't joking.

Posted by: McCoysMarketNYC | Oct 17, 2011 8:06:00 PM

9. I think the casual outing is just as relevant as the outing itself... it really shouldn't be a big-deal. As the t-shirt says, some people are gay- get over it.

And, at risk of being accused of being a Star-fukker, I'd go out w/ Zach too! ;)

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Oct 17, 2011 8:12:40 PM

10. Not every coming out has to be full of drama and seriousness. Some do, some don't. It depends on the person and the situation.

Sometimes it is better for people, both in the closet and out, to see the subject approached as if announcing one's eye color, or that you like mustard- after all, don't we WANT it to be that way for everyone one day? It has to start somewhere.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 17, 2011 8:19:08 PM

11. @ Felix *besos*

Posted by: Max | Oct 17, 2011 8:25:17 PM

12. @Mike: Agreed 100%

Posted by: Moony | Oct 17, 2011 8:35:07 PM

13. Why are all these newly-out men so good-looking? There must be something in the water!

;)

Posted by: George F | Oct 17, 2011 8:43:30 PM

14. Keeping 'em coming guys! Watched Anderson today and he truly loves his mother. I think he holds back on being gay because he may fear his credibility as a news reporter will be harmed - won't be allowed to go to Muslim countries, S. Africa, Jamaica, etc., for fear of harm but he has the talk show now and once he grows into it (he was a little frightened at first) he should and could surpass Oprah. Anybody see the new Rosie Show? Another winner guys! Yesterday she had on Kevin Bacon (and his brother) and an amazing 72 year old hot Valerie Harper (Yeah, Rhoda!). She has had a great list of guests and needs to refine the show a bit but should do very well. Like Oprah, who used her show to promote African Americans, Rosie makes sure the world of gayness is included in every show (many times). Support them both, they do great jobs.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 17, 2011 8:58:42 PM

15. Nice Segue!

Posted by: MoJo | Oct 17, 2011 9:43:32 PM

16. Andy! You should have come out while you reported on the news guy coming out while he reported on Spock coming out! Missed opportunity! :P

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Oct 17, 2011 9:48:17 PM

17. Out is In!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 17, 2011 10:08:40 PM

18. Good luck to both of them. They're heros

Posted by: JEFFUWS | Oct 17, 2011 10:09:40 PM

19. David Muir please! (I know he's out personally, but publicly would be nice and he used to be on WNN)

Posted by: unruly | Oct 17, 2011 11:23:53 PM

20. Okay, I'm glad that the gay guy from ABC News came out of the closet, but honestly, with that face and those mannerisms, etc., did ANYONE on earth every think he was banging broads left and right? I mean, I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's about as macho as Richard Simmons in not pants on Gay Day at Disneyland. It would be way more newsworthy if macho, manly-type gay guys came out instead of these slightly-built, soft-spoken, guys with low testosterone levels. Just keeping it real for all of you pathetic, middle-aged queens and your faux activism! So don't hate on the messenger... listen to the message!

Posted by: TANK | Oct 17, 2011 11:25:55 PM

21. Oops... I meant to say Richard Simmons in HOT pants in that last message! Sorry for the slipup!!!

Posted by: TANK | Oct 17, 2011 11:26:50 PM

22. @THEO i was thinking the same thing, that's where i first took notice of cooper, at 3am. (and once after his work, before mine, at 7am, on the street corner at w66th where abc is located...)
    i might drop my rule against dating news anchors.

Posted by: shane | Oct 17, 2011 11:32:11 PM

23. omg the three syracuse area news stations have had tons of gay reporters jumpstart their careers here. im glad dan is happy enough to let a little bit of himself show to the world

Posted by: charles | Oct 17, 2011 11:53:36 PM

24. @Theo: You talk about "pathetic middle aged queens" and then say "don't hate me." Well, that doesn't work. Your pleas don't get you a pass for making ignorant remarks. Shame on you.

As you say, "just keeping it real."

Posted by: Frank OFile | Oct 18, 2011 12:02:36 AM

25. I addressed my remarks to Theo...should have been to TANK. Sorry.

Posted by: Frank OFile | Oct 18, 2011 12:03:37 AM