Divine | John Waters | Melissa McCarthy | News

BigGayDeal.com

Melissa McCarthy is Divine: PHOTO

Melissa-mccarthy-divine

Melissa McCarthy channels the late muse of John Waters in EW's new issue.

One more shot, AFTER THE JUMP...

(ew via ed kennedy)

Divine2

Comments

1. ya know, I love Meliss McCarth...

but part of the outrageousness was that Devine was a MAN!

It's like having women play trans... hire a trans person, fer cryin' out loud.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Oct 28, 2011 9:00:58 AM

2. I agree with Pete N SFO. However, that. Is. Still. Awesome.

Posted by: MT | Oct 28, 2011 9:30:12 AM

3. Melissa has gone from OK to awesome in my mind for these pics! Outrageously fun!

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 28, 2011 9:53:27 AM

4. Nice, I for one am glad to see Divine referenced *anywhere*. Can't wait for the John Waters documentary on the life and times of Divine.

Posted by: Christian | Oct 28, 2011 9:59:57 AM

5. At first I felt a little resentful looking at these pics, but not because I don't think she does a great job looking like Divine, but probably because I really regret that he isn't with us anymore.

Imagine, Divine traveling around the country, harassing NOM and throwing eggs at Maggie Gallagher? Ah, it would truly be a sight to see.

Posted by: Jesus | Oct 28, 2011 10:15:38 AM

6. It's obviously an homage, and the fact that a woman is playing a drag queen totally turns gender identity on its head, which is exactly what John Waters and Divine would love. They would approve. And I agree with Christian, a reference to Divine anywhere is a good thing.

Posted by: ColinATL | Oct 28, 2011 10:17:58 AM

7. I think the resemblance is amazing and McCarthy is divine (no pun intended).

I get that the audaciousness is in part about Divine being a man dressed in drag as a grotesque sort of drag queen (much like with Hairspray. GTFO, John Travolta!), but McCarthy still channels the kind of look and attitude from Pink Flamingos.

Love it.

Posted by: luminum | Oct 28, 2011 10:22:23 AM

8. Good fictional lord, there's complaints about the most popular comic actress in America paying homage to a beloved queer icon? Really?

Screwing with gender and popular expectations and embracing what boring people consider ugly and demanding it be accepted as beautiful and turning fame on its head is EXACTLY what Divine was all about. Divine would have been THRILLED to see this.

The mind boggles that anyone could hate women so much as to take offense at an excellent tribute. And, let me tell you, Divine would NOT have been thrilled by that because Divine did not hate women.

Congratulations to those who get it and shame on every gay man who still thinks this is 1967. Divine was beyond your limitations even then! There is no excuse.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 28, 2011 10:49:36 AM

9. Pete n SFO wrote:
    --------------------
    "ya know, I love Meliss McCarth...

but part of the outrageousness was that Devine was a MAN!

It's like having women play trans... hire a trans person, fer cryin' out loud."
    --------------------

I'll have to disagree on both points:

1. Divine was a character, a role. It may have been created and originally portrayed by a man, but it's certainly not off-limits to being played by someone else of either gender. All of Shakespeare's female characters were originally played by men, but have long been commonly played by women.

2. In many ways it makes more sense to have a female playing a trans person, since BEING female is the actual goal. If I was an MTF trans woman I might be a bit disappointed if the person portraying me (post-transformation) was anything less than a real woman.

P.S. Felicity Huffman was brilliant in TransAmerica, for which she won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar.

Posted by: sparks | Oct 28, 2011 10:55:16 AM

10. Loving Melissa McCarthy this year! She is hilarious, I hope she keeps her head (unlike Roseanne) and outlasts her mostly lame sitcom.

Anyhow, I don't have time to argue with you filth, I'm running to watch PINK FLAMINGOS and maybe the best movie ever, FEMALE TROUBLE.

Posted by: Strepsi | Oct 28, 2011 12:03:47 PM

11. SHOUTOUT TO MISS PANDORA BOXX@

Posted by: Amaezm | Oct 28, 2011 12:47:37 PM

12. Devine would have loved this! Great photo!

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 28, 2011 5:46:21 PM

13. 'Excuse me. Dawn Davenport is eating a meatball sandwich, right out in class. AND she's been passing notes!'

I love Divine and John Waters. I hope there is enough finance raised to complete the new documentary about Divine - entitled 'I am Divinbe!"

Posted by: David | Oct 29, 2011 9:17:22 AM

14. One quick thing to those who think it's weird that she's doing Divine since she's a lady: the photo shoot was her as queens. Queen Elizabeth I. Queen Elizabeth II. That one of the queens was a drag queen? Inspired. I absolutely adore it.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 29, 2011 2:52:34 PM