News | Rugby | Sports

A College Rugby Player Comes Out to His Team: VIDEO

Comingout

On last night's one-hour documentary series Coming Out on MTV, Nevin, a 20 year-old African American collegiate all star athlete in Ohio, came out to his team.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh that awful pause until the first teammate responded...

Athletes can be the sweetest of human beings. So nice, even moving, to see how this turned out.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Oct 12, 2011 9:21:06 AM

2. The kids are alright.

Posted by: michael | Oct 12, 2011 10:07:50 AM

3. 1) Longest coming out preamble ever. Painful, and probably the fault of MTV's writers/editors.
    2) They usually don't care, unless you show outward signs of effeminacy, whatever that means. It's usually "sissy-phobia," not "homophobia," that gets ya. (We need more "sissy" athletes!)
    3) Anyway, congratulations. That sounds like it was hard for you, so kudos.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Oct 12, 2011 10:40:24 AM

4. For years I was a firefighter for a federal agency. I lived on a compound in a very remote location with a group of other firefighters. On fire assigments I heard a LOT of homophobic comments, but none from my crew. I finally came out to the crew and like the team here, they said it didn't matter. We still worked and lived and drank together. We trusted each other with life threatening situations. One of the guys finally told me the crew had gotten together after I came out and said, in their words, "Mark is gay but he's not a fag". When I met a guy they accepted him at our after hour parties, etc. The point is, I echo Addalusian Dog's comment, straight guys accept other guys that act like them. I am NOT advocating gay guys act like straight guys, (unless that is how you are), I am saying we need to work on attitudes of straight men toward effiminate men. We are all human beings who need to be safe in our personal expression, masculine, feminine or in between.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 12, 2011 11:12:57 AM

5. I was waiting for an "I'm Spartacus" moment.

Posted by: Craig | Oct 12, 2011 12:15:06 PM

6. Wonder how the reaction would have been without the cameras?? Quite different I think.

Posted by: Billy | Oct 12, 2011 12:51:54 PM

7. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
    @Billy, don't rain on the parade, dude!
    If kids see this and it makes them grow more accepting, or more comfortable talking about it, then MTV has done its job.

Posted by: rob | Oct 12, 2011 1:26:20 PM

8. so very very awesome!

Posted by: ACe | Oct 12, 2011 2:38:39 PM

9. In some ways context is everything, and a camera crew changes the context: people are averse to making themselves look bad on camera (and, of course, what "looks bad" is a product of group values). I would like to know what locker room talks happened afterward, and how the team changed (or didn't) after the fact.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Oct 12, 2011 2:41:39 PM

10. To me, this guy is A-list, not the clowns on Bravo's show.

Posted by: George | Oct 12, 2011 3:56:39 PM

11. One of the best things about this was the father who supported his kid in coming out to his team. It challenges the idea that African American parents aren't as accepting as other parents, and I certainly hope it encourages more of them to be accepting.

Posted by: moony | Oct 12, 2011 5:29:12 PM

12. @George... that show is on LOGO.

Posted by: Lew | Oct 12, 2011 5:43:26 PM

13. Hot, smart, talented gay black guy. He's delish. Sign me up.

Posted by: Confused | Oct 12, 2011 6:59:02 PM

14. Nice that someone wanting acceptence from a group of people, someone hoping not to be bullied by his peers, will warn them about "ugly girls" they might be trying to get with.

Posted by: Jake | Oct 12, 2011 8:37:24 PM

15. Good for him. He seems like a nice guy and is very sincere. Kudos!

Posted by: ajjanthony | Oct 12, 2011 10:55:44 PM

16. Jake, get the stick out of your ass.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 13, 2011 1:09:58 AM

17. Stick in the arse or not, the 'ugly girls' comment was inappropriate, and should have been edited out.

Posted by: Gabe RL | Oct 15, 2011 12:31:19 PM