I'm Not Gay | News | Taylor Lautner

Taylor Lautner: 'Definitely Not' Gay

GQ Australia asks Taylor Lautner about his sexuality:

Taylor-lautner-gq-australia-1011-3"[My publicist] Liz [Mahoney] says I don't talk about my personal life," he told the magazine when asked about a rumoured split from his Abduction costar Lily Collins.

Undeterred, GQ turned their attention to the rumour that the owner of People's fourth ‘most amazing body' prefers Team Edward to Team Women -- a rumour that began when Lautner was spotted dining with gay Hollywood magnates Gus Van Sant and Dustin Lance Black.

"No, definitely not," Hollywood's highest paid teen said when asked whether either Van Sant or Black made a pass. "I think they know I'm straight. But they're great guys. They're a lot of fun." Adding rather blandly: "It's not a coincidence that there was a writer, a director and an actor at dinner."

Watch a behind-the-scenes clip of Lautner's GQ spread, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Straight out asking him if he's gay would seem too obvious maybe? Instead he just so happens to mention that he's straight during the interview. But then maybe I'm just being cynical :). I don't really care or know if he's gay or straight. If he is gay though, he's very unlikely to come out right now.

Posted by: GC | Oct 12, 2011 4:12:54 PM

2. don't really care whether he is or isn't. but his answer, "it's not a coincidence..." seems a little coached to me.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Oct 12, 2011 4:16:58 PM

3. Oh God, leave the kid alone.

Posted by: T | Oct 12, 2011 4:22:03 PM

4. I suppose if Tom Cruise is straight, anything is possible.

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 12, 2011 4:25:06 PM

5. @ T -- What you said. Christ, leave them ALL alone. Why is anyone's sexuality our business, unless they're closeted power brokers trying to stuff US back into the closet.

Posted by: MikeMick | Oct 12, 2011 4:27:08 PM

6. The headline here is misleading. He says "definitely not" to whether Gus Van Sant or Dustin Lance Black made a pass at him.

Posted by: Jeff B. | Oct 12, 2011 4:31:25 PM

7. Why would he come out when teen girls queerly still crush over him? Give him 5 or so years and he will come out after Twitlight is over.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 12, 2011 4:35:12 PM

8. Normally, I would side with the "Leave him alone" threads, but really? When Taylor speaks, all I hear is the ghost of Liberace.

Posted by: 99% | Oct 12, 2011 4:37:17 PM

9. I am so tired of actors lying about their sexuality. Even obviously gay actors like Lautner refuse to be honest about it. It's all about $$$, and it looks like very little has changed.

Posted by: Troy | Oct 12, 2011 4:39:31 PM

10. I think GQ's question to Taylor may be the most homophobic I've read in a long time. Regardless of Taylor's sexuality, why would they think these two highly regarded gay men would make a pass at a barely legal age Taylor. Oh, right, because we're all predatory pedophiles. And yes, I know it happens all the time in Hollywood, casting couch, etc, but really have you ever seen that question asked of an actress dining with a famous director?

Posted by: Brian | Oct 12, 2011 4:45:43 PM

11. You got it, Brian.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 12, 2011 4:54:35 PM

12. "I think GQ's question to Taylor may be the most homophobic I've read in a long time. Regardless of Taylor's sexuality, why would they think these two highly regarded gay men would make a pass at a barely legal age Taylor. Oh, right, because we're all predatory pedophiles. And yes, I know it happens all the time in Hollywood, casting couch, etc, but really have you ever seen that question asked of an actress dining with a famous director?"
    You make a very good point BRIAN.

Posted by: Lolalai | Oct 12, 2011 4:55:35 PM

13. Gents, not to be unduly rude, but whether he sounds like Liberace, and regardless of how sick you are of closeted actors, why is it any of our business if he bats for our team? If the kid leaves us alone and doesn't make homophobic remarks, let him have his life. Same for Tom Cruise, who I personally think is a platinum-plated asshat. Has he ever run us down in public? I just hear about him defending himself.

Posted by: MikeMick | Oct 12, 2011 5:19:20 PM

14. "let him have his life"??????????

WTF are you talking about?

That we should be quiet and shouldn't comment Taylor's bearding? We shouldn't discus his gayness?

Posted by: Geez | Oct 12, 2011 5:27:07 PM

15. So who was the actor having dinner with them?

Posted by: Brian | Oct 12, 2011 5:31:12 PM

16. Are there still people who think that acknowledging that a public figure is obviously gay -- whether that figure wants you to or not -- is so vile that it can only be reserved for the most vicious enemies of human rights? I don't understand how you can hate gay people that much. Didn't that self-loathing thinking go out of style in the '90s?

All together now: There's nothing wrong with being gay. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth about being gay.

Maybe Taylor Lautner doesn't want to tell the truth about his being gay, but that's his problem, not mine. If he wants his privacy, he can quit his public job. Until then, too bad for him that the world isn't deaf, blind and stupid.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 12, 2011 5:31:13 PM

17. Compared to this guy, Channing Tatum has range.

We've already got Tom Cruise & John Travolta. We don't need yet another horrible gay actor.

Plus, he looks like a very pretty monkey.

Posted by: TPOWW | Oct 12, 2011 5:33:39 PM

18. Ask him if his dog is gay.

Posted by: anon | Oct 12, 2011 5:35:37 PM

19. what kind of interviewer asks if van sant and black made a pass at him?

a classless and homophobic one, that's who

also, he didn't say "definitely not" to being gay

lots of fail up in this piece

Posted by: gomez | Oct 12, 2011 5:36:28 PM

20. Exactly, MikeMick. I believe the only people that should be "outed" are those in positions of power that are working against the LGBT community. Due to his marketability, Taylor Lautner is in a position of power (which saddens me about our celebrity-obssessed culture). But, he has never done anything homophobic, so he should be "left alone".

Also, please remember he's only 19. I grew up in a very religious/homophobic family. It took me 29 years to get strong enough to break free from all of that and accept who I am.

Posted by: alex | Oct 12, 2011 5:36:42 PM

21. Taylor does take a pretty picture but now that his first starring movie bombed he should concentrate of finding a better starring vehicle... an indie movie in which he plays a gay kid might be a good idea

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 12, 2011 5:37:19 PM

22. So other than thinking he "sounds" gay, where is the evidence that Taylor Lautner is gay? He could be. Yes. In fact, I think he might be. But I don't know that and I have no evidence that he is, nor have I seen any.

I don't have any idea really but I'm just surprised at how sure some folks are.

If you have evidence beyond the superficial, why not just reveal it?

We're supposed to be living in a time where we don't put the some kinds of pressure on young men to "butch it up" (regardless of their sexuality) and yet the fact that this young man has a high voice (?) or some other such superficial characteristic has convinced gay men that they just KNOW he's gay because they can tell.

So all gay men have a tell? Only gay men have high voices? Feminine mannerisms? Like only gay men ever?

Maybe some of you know differently but in my experience, there are plenty of bona fide straight men in my personal life whom other folks THINK are gay based upon superficial characteristics like their voice, clothing or choice of activities

If we can now know for certain that a man is gay based upon physical characteristics (as opposed to sexual desire for or activity with other men) then we really can't criticize straight homophobes who claim that gay men have a tell.

You can't have it both ways. You can't scream about people assuming that all gay men are effeminate or that all effeminate men are gay but then use those same criteria to make assumptions about who is gay.

Again, I don't know if Taylor is gay. he could be. But I do know that he says he isn't and that should be the end of it because no one is benefited (least of all the gay community) by gay baiting people about coming out of the closet.

Visibility is important and being out is very powerful but homophobia is REAL and the fear of the repercussions of coming out are real and none of us has a right to demand anything of a complete stranger (regardless of their vocation) unless they are an elected official or servant of the public with political power over out rights.

I mean at some point you have to put up or shut up. Show folks the actual evidence of Taylor's homosexuality or accept that he might be gay and may never come out (like millions of men before him and I'M SURE like some of you who regularly post on this website).

How exactly are we as a community helped by badgering actors and other performers to come out?

Posted by: Pickles | Oct 12, 2011 6:24:13 PM

23. I will not cry for the lad --- gays pay cash too and the is he or isnt he since he turned 18 and got buff makes him fodder for chatter .... that is called ENTERTAINMENT

Posted by: true that | Oct 12, 2011 6:51:31 PM

24. @pickles well both Lance Bass and especially Neil Patrick Harris have better lives and careers since Perez Hilton pestered them out of the closet .... the differnce is that THEY were out socially in Hollywood and playing straight to the public still ...

You know other than a sensative soul and beauty ... there is no indication that he is gay other than he has traits associated with the stereotype

Posted by: true that | Oct 12, 2011 6:54:03 PM

25. The boy has no acting talent. He is pathetic. His 15 minutes will soon be over.

Posted by: Kevin Thor | Oct 12, 2011 7:11:13 PM