Towleroad October Housekeeping

Good evening Towleroad readers. Hope everyone is having a great October.

TowleroadbannerYou may have noticed that we've had a new writer on the weekends. Penn Bullock, who has done a fantastic job the past few months, has had some scheduling conflicts and can't continue. I want to publicly thank Penn for the amazing work he did here. I'm also happy to say that Penn's partner Brandon K. Thorp has joined us, and those of you who have tuned in for the past two weekends have seen his byline here.

BktBrandon is a 28-year-old essayist and journalist working in Brooklyn. He worked for five years as a drama critic and investigative reporter with Village Voice Media, for whom he won two Green Eyeshade Awards. In 2010, a story Brandon co-wrote with his partner, Penn Bullock, exposed anti-gay activist George Alan Rekers's international affair with a male prostitute. As a result, the writing team won a 1st place award for Feature Writing with the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies and went on to produce a 4-part Rekers-related documentary for Anderson Cooper. Before moving to New York, Brandon worked for three years as a drama critic with Miami's NPR affiliate, WLRN, and currently serves as a guest anchor on Sirius XM's OutQ radio channel and writes occasionally for Gawker.

Just wanted to welcome Brandon officially. Welcome, Brandon!

A few more things…

TRAVEL

We'd love for you to take 5-10 minutes of your time and FILL OUT THIS COMMUNITY SURVEY about how you travel and what you are looking forward to travel-wise. Not only will it help us with future coverage, but it will help us attract advertisers to keep this site running.

Nextfall

THEATRE

Also, if you're in LA, there is a Towleroad exclusive ticket discount for Next Fall at the Geffen Playhouse. It's $40 flat for the best seat available for shows from October 25 to November 13. it's a great deal because there are no fees. Use the code TLRD40 either online or by phone to the box office.

Also, tonight is the LAST CHANCE TO ENTER for free tickets to Next Fall in L.A. (or want to get on the list for Theater-related discounts and promotions in the future.) The contest closes TONIGHT at midnight. The winners will be drawn in the morning and winners need to get back to us in 24 hours.

SHARING

TowleroadbannerYou might have noticed we recently put new SHARING buttons at the bottom of each post. Please feel free to use them liberally! When you like or share something it is meaningful and appreciated by us and does in fact make a difference in terms of our content being found on Google or on Facebook.

You should check out Reddit and Stumbleupon which are among the SHARE buttons on the far right side that might be unfamiliar to you. They are great sites, and we love having our content shared there as well.

FOLLOW us on TWITTER @TLRD and visit us on FACEBOOK HERE.

Finally, I wanted to thank everyone for reading and give a thanks to our advertisers for your support. I want to give a special shout-out to Becks Beer, Rdio (follow us on Rdio HERE), and the Ace Hotel which have been big sponsors of the site over the past few months. Join us for Gay Pride in Palm Springs where we're proud to be a co-sponsor of the Ace Hotel's alternative programming efforts all week.

Towleroad turns 8 YEARS OLD this week. We've published more than 26,000 posts since we started and logged more than 30 million pageviews. This has been our best year yet and we can't thank you enough for reading and coming back.

ANDY TOWLE and MICHAEL GOFF

Comments

1. Drew says

I will be sure to start posting towleroad stories again on facebook. For a while there I had stopped posting direct links because it wouldnt allow me to use a picture from the story, just the Towleroad logo, which isnt going to get the attention of my followers. It seems that now you can use the photos from the stories again. finally.

2. brenda says

I love Brandon K. Thorpe’s writing.

And I love Towleroad.

Congrats on your anniversary.

Please consider running more lesbian-oriented posts.

Thanks.

–Brenda Kwang, a regular reader and commenter in Baltimore, MD

3. Max says

Andy and Michael, besos to you both. This site rocks! Any chance you could add an archive of all the banners you’ve had at the top over the years?

Oh, and I concur with Brenda!

4. TANK says

Hmm… this Brandon dude has a bit of a gayface thing going, but he is kinda cute in a “young twink who’s all grown up now way.” Yep, I’d definitely hit that till the cows came home! By the way, I agree: Towleroad is the best site for gay guys around. Some of the trolls who post mindless chitchat and illogicle ramblings can be annoying as all get out, but this site still rocks, as the kids today would say! Congrats to all who make it work… you all get a big thumbs up from Tank!

5. David says

I was unaware that Brandon Thorpe was one of the journalists who exposed Rekers. That was some amazing journalism and it required some fast moves by the reporters to catch Rekers and his luggage assistant at the airport. I would be very interested in some follow up posts on that story, both as to how Brandon tackled the fast-breaking story and as to what has become of Rekers and Giovanni.
    Kudos to you, Brandon.

6. Mary says

Andy, Towleroad is one of the best sites on the Internet. I’m not part of the LGBT community, but I find this site fascinating and I’m learning a lot from it. I’ve enjoyed the discussions here so much that my browser’s “Favorites” menu now has a “TOWLEROAD” folder with links to various articles. I’ll have to start making subfolders soon at the rate I’m going! Congrats on a job well done. And consider yourself in good company. My other favorite site is Free Republic. I may be the only person on the internet who enjoys both!

7. bruce says

CONGRATS on a wonderful, well-written and thought-provoking site, Andy and Michael!!!

I have been an avid reader every single day for the past seven years (sorry I missed your first year). TOWLEROAD has given me a sense of growing pride over the years…considering the fact that I had been in the closet until quite recently.

I look forward to many more years of your site. “Cheers!”

8. Nathan says

Yay! I love your site, and I’ll keep coming back, even if you’re wasting my time with shirtless male model pics. But please keep wasting my time with videos of James Franco kissing himself. And politics. Thank you!

9. K says

Seconding Max -please please PLEASE give us an update on the banners! I’m begging you! Especially the person reading the book – I’m desperate for the backstory! Please!

Also, happy anniversary!

10. Andy Wedel says

Quick, meant-to-be-helpful comment on the survey; please forward to the survey makers if it would be appropriate. The survey is much too long as well as redundant. I’m all for helping out and I started the survey, but after 10 minutes it was clear I had a long way yet to go and I stopped because I’ve got a life. Unless the survey is designed with this expectation in mind, the results will suffer from a perhaps unwanted type of self-selection: you’ll preferentially get information on bored and/or neurotic people with too little going on in their lives. These are not the only people who pay attention to ads.

11. uffda says

A very enjoyable site to be sure. I love it, and the comments, and congratulate you for Eight Years of service to the discerning.

Little Kiwi should have his own column. Ratbastard shouldn’t, though he tries.