News | Zachary Quinto

Zachary Quinto to Play a 'Gay Ghost' on 'American Horror Story'

Z_quinto

Zachary Quinto describes his upcoming guest role on American Horror Story:

"I play a gay ghost. It's basically like my (gay) character on (the former VH1 series) 'So NoTORIous' (above) and my character from 'Heroes' mixed into one."

He says he considers Sylar in Heroes his break-out role:

"'Heroes' really changed the game for me in a way that nothing before it had. That job came out of a really lean period for me. I felt a lot of limitations and, of course, they were all self-imposed. And they were able to find an outlet in that role in 'Heroes' and that really changed my journey creatively and professionally."

And says he's not worried about being typecast as a gay character:

"I've played gay characters before. I've played straight characters before. It hasn't shaped my relationship to my work and they've all been interesting characters."

Comments

1. Well, good thing he came out because of that bullying incident and not because he has a new acting gig or anything.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Oct 21, 2011 11:48:56 AM

2. Fern needs to be pruned.

Posted by: Paulie | Oct 21, 2011 12:14:07 PM

3. Thanks for the spoiler.

You couldn't have just written "Quinto to guest star on American Horror Story" for yoru headline, could you?

*sigh*

Posted by: luminum | Oct 21, 2011 12:36:35 PM

4. All these years after Anne Heche, are we REALLY still going on about how announcing you're gay is a publicity ploy that's a one-way ticket to stardom?

Of course, this is also post-Rupert Whatshisname, when we're still saying how nobody should announce that they're gay because it's an instant career-killer.

Enough of this nonsense. It's 2011. If you're still relatively young and/or relatively new to your career -- or even, sometimes, if you're not -- it's just not a big deal either way. And we all know this now, so, please, let's give it a rest.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 21, 2011 12:44:04 PM

5. What? A gay ghost with a lisp or with a taste for men?

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 21, 2011 3:09:46 PM

6. Why do ghosts have clothes?

Posted by: anon | Oct 21, 2011 6:25:46 PM

7. Never mind Zach, who's the hunk in the sauna with him? :)

Posted by: David | Oct 22, 2011 5:37:42 AM

8. Ha, ghosts in a sauna! Looks like FX has done it again with another great show and I'm set to watch it with the DISH Network subscription I get as an employee. I’m lucky because DISH is keeping FX unlike Directv who’s struggling with negotiations to keep FX and National Geo to name a few.

Posted by: Nicole | Oct 22, 2011 9:56:20 PM

9. Nicole, the sauna picture up there is from his old show in VH1. It's not from AHS.

Here is a link to that video.

Posted by: 3 | Oct 22, 2011 11:16:53 PM