Crime | News | Seattle

Gay Seattle Hairdresser Danny Vega Beaten into Coma, Dies

Seattle hairdresser Danny Vega has died of his injuries, two weeks after being beaten unconscious by a group of teens, KING5 reports:

VegaOn Nov. 15, Vega, a prominent figure in the city's Filipino American community, was taking an evening walk nearby in Seattle's Rainier Valley neighborhood when three teens attacked him from behind, said police. They beat Vega unconscious and took his cell phone and keys. Vega was hospitalized with severe injuries to his kidneys, liver and brain. He fell into a coma and was later put on life-support.

Vega, whose family believes he was targeted in a hate crime, has been on life support for 12 days. He died Sunday:

Family,  friends and neighbors also held a vigil for Vega Saturday night at Othello and Martin Luther King Way in the Rainier Valley. Although police were not investigating the attack as a hate crime, his family believes Vega was targeted. He was openly gay and not afraid to show it.

The Seattle Times adds:

The attack occurred about four blocks from Vega’s home, where he also operates Danny Vega’s Hair Design, according to public records. Vega was able to walk home and call 911, according to Seattle police. He told officers he lost consciousness during the attack. He was later taken to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, police said.

Vega’s family has said they believed Vega, who was gay, may have been targeted because of his sexual orientation. Seattle police are not investigating the incident as a hate crime, citing a lack of evidence.

Comments

1. Very sad. Even if it wasn't a hate crime, the fact there are teenagers who are so unruly, and so inhumane, they would cause this sort of injury against another human being is shocking and enraging. Parents need to get control of their children, situations such as this occur way, way too often and it's ridiculous and beyond unnecessary.

RIP to Mr. Vega and well wishes to his family and friends.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 28, 2011 9:52:15 AM

2. Rainier Valley... Probably not a hate crime, probably just a crime, Lots of borede teens there with access to drugs and violence.

This is so sad, what is happening to Seattle?

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 28, 2011 10:29:19 AM

3. Add Seattle to the list of cities you want to avoid. Heartfelt wishes go out to his friends and loved ones. The jerks stole his items - aren't any traceable, ie, the cell phone, the credit cards, maybe even his jewelry? What ARE the Seattle police doing and why aren't they doing more?

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 28, 2011 11:15:18 AM

4. These idiotic BIASED policemen really piss me off. Lack of evidence my ass this is just ANOTHER city to cross off the list irresponsible heartless and IMMORAL police officers.I hope the ones who did this pay the price and rip to this poor victim that should still be alive.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 28, 2011 11:34:55 AM

5. Apparently, Seattle PD is too busy pepper-spraying non-violent political protesters to investigate actual crimes.

Posted by: Jester | Nov 28, 2011 2:30:50 PM

6. I live in Seattle, and compared to other cities of its size, it is very gay-friendly, but the SPD are worthless. Utterly, completely worthless. Rainier Valley is the south end, not yet gentrified and pretty crime-ridden. Chances are, his sexuality did factor in, but it will be impossible to prove; that's the nature of the laws, not the fault of the SPD (who are still corrupt, violent, and worthless. Utterly, completely worthless).

I will say, though, that the gay neighborhood is less safe than it was a few years ago. Bigots and rednecks are moving in closer to the city and are bringing violence. I have to believe that national gains and improved visibility is forcing these barbarians to retaliate...but I take solace in the sense that it is their last hurrah. All the same, I recommend to all of my friends that they learn some self-defense basics. Things are probably going to get worse before they get better.

Posted by: T.s. | Nov 28, 2011 3:52:35 PM

7. I just moved to Texas. I'm exercising my right to own a concealed weapon, all legally and with training. If an motherf'ers try anything on me, I'll not hesitate to defend myself. I like to take the Malcolm X approach, at least until laws protect against all hate crimes, and I'm recognized with respect. With generalized and accepted hate (Republicans, Christians), I don't give a sh*t about the haters. Just stay away from me.

Posted by: newcityspot | Nov 29, 2011 11:28:07 AM

8. condolence to the family of Danny, but please don't mentioned race for this crime.

Posted by: kabayan | Nov 30, 2011 11:53:33 PM

9. Kabayan- Gee, kinda self serving? Rave is an issue. It is not racist to resent hate crimes.Blacks sure would be mentioning it if there were several dozen white on black incidents. Blacks rampaged through a Jewish neightborhood in NYC for 3 days because one black kid was killed in a car accident by a Jewish driver. Blacks committed slews of hate crimes against Asians in both LA and NYC in the same era. Many black folks openly sypathize with those who do it. BUT IT'S RACIST TO OBJECT TO PEOPLE MAULING ELDERLY PEOPLE TO DEATH? IT'S RACIST TO NOTICE THAT 99% OF THE PEOPLE DOING IT ARE YOUNG BLACK MALES? If there were three dozen elderly black people attacked in Seattle, some of them murdered, all 99% of them were committed by young Asian males YOU REALLY THINK THE BLACK COMMUNITY WOULD NOT BE AT THEIR THROAT? Get real.

Posted by: jane | Dec 1, 2011 2:22:06 AM