Chris Colfer | Darren Criss | Glee | News

More Details About Glee's Gay Sex Scene [SPOILERS]

Chris Colfer speaks to TV Line about losing his TV virginity, AFTER THE JUMP...

CrisscolferTV Line:

Prior to getting the script Ryan approached Darren and I and told us that they were doing a virginity episode, and Darren and I just kind of looked at each other with wide eyes like, “Huh? What?’ And while we always have faith in the writers, we were a little skeptical. But then we got the script and shot it and everything was fine. What I thought could be raunchy and over-the-top was just very sweet and emotional. That’s kind of how it is with Glee. Ryan will come up and tell me they’re [tackling] this big, sensitive issue and I’ll freak out. But then I have no reason to freak out because it’s always handled really well.

I was totally [prepared] to have to do a shirtless scene. Or at least wear like a tank [top] or something. I even asked if I could wear a tank and they said no. I think having two gay guys having sex on television was enough. They didn’t want to [reveal] a bunch of skin on top of it. I was like, “I want to wear a tank! Let me wear a tank!” [Ultimately], I wore a T-shirt.

He adds, to E!'s Jenna Mullins:

Yeah, I was expecting to being showing some skin but we got there and they wanted Darren in a tank and they wanted me in a shirt, so I don't really have to worry.

I really hope that if Kurt and Blaine do anything for society or the world or anything like that, I really just hope it kind of sets the standard for gay kids. I don't mean to upset anyone by saying this, but it is just kind of a known fact that a lot of gay kids are very promiscuous and non-exclusive with each other when they have relationships, which is really sad. But I think with Kurt and Blaine, I would hope would set an example of what something should be and could be. You know, two people finding each other and really loving each other and wanting to give the world to each other.

More at TV Line about the gay bar scene with Kurt and Karofsky (Max Adler), and the full E! interview is here.

Comments

1. glee creates stereotypes.. what a horrible show.

Posted by: sean | Nov 7, 2011 12:16:51 PM

2. "And there are just so many cool things you can do as an actor: you can grab your drink, you can play with a cherry, you can lean on the bar, you can lean on a stool."

-Chris Colfer, Golden Globe winner, two time Emmy nominee.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 7, 2011 12:38:10 PM

3. This sounds good and from what Chris says it seems the writers are going to work to keep Blaine and Kurt together. It is true about the promiscuity. There was never a time in my life when I wasn't gay, from my earliest memories and by the time I was ten I had been messing around, fascinated by the whole sex thing and the phsyical attraction to other boys. The first real love affair came around 17, ended and I was heart broken. I dated and played until I was 23 and fell head over for Greg. He (Greg) had feelings he didn't know how to deal with. We had known each other for months but once we began dating became inseparable. We dated solidly for three weeks and with an unbelievable desire to jump the guy I refrained, fearful he would bolt. I knew he was what I wanted in life.

And when we did sleep together it was and remains as good as it gets. Anyway, we're married now and I've obviously offered too much info... (LOL!) I look forward to tonight's show.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 7, 2011 12:51:12 PM

4. I really love my boyfriend and want to give him the world, but the fact of the matter is that we're both not as experienced bottoming to be able to bottom for the other (basically, he's too big for me to take and vice versa). As a result, our relationship is non-exclusive and it's not sad, it's awesome.

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 7, 2011 12:55:09 PM

5. @Andrew are you or your boyfriend under the impression that back door sex makes or breaks a relationship? If so, reconsider. The majority of guys and dates I've had see the act as a rare one despite what you see in gay adult films. Seriously, oral sex and physical intimacy is the most desired and sought after. It is a rare occasion when a partner may ask me to top or bottom and the latter leaves no desire for me. Perhaps to please a partner I may top but even then it is for his desire, not mine.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 7, 2011 1:14:47 PM

6. OS2GUY, TMI, dude. TMI. You always overshare about your "love story." But I should thank you for not adding too much about how your now husband was straight before you converted him. You kept that part subtle, such restraint.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Nov 7, 2011 1:17:35 PM

7. I have a hard enough time believing their relationship to also believe that the two of them would ever have sex that wasn't awkward, ending in mutual giving up. Seriously?

Posted by: luminum | Nov 7, 2011 1:27:29 PM

8. Why is this show so popular. Bad acting, childish storylines. Just like Fame back then.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 7, 2011 1:38:23 PM

9. *SUGARRHILL hopefully someday you too will fall in love. For many years I dismissed any idea of loving someone else as silly. I came from an alcoholic physically abusive divorced home and was out the door at 12. Panhandling and doorways - school was my only constant. I scholared through college and believed what I have today could never come true - but it has. I matured. What I wanted most in life was to love, be loved and to have a family of my own. I sought and found someone who wanted the same. To those who believe it can't happen to them I say think again. Don't give up, pursue it. It could all be gone tomorrow.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 7, 2011 1:52:54 PM

10. OS2GUY, I'm not against sharing personal stories of Love and Triumph. Except your story has always read like a bad mid century Gay novel. And your latest vignette seems to be a ripoff From Homeless to Harvard.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Nov 7, 2011 2:05:46 PM

11. i always had the inkling that i did college all wrong...i should have been scholaring through the whole thing.

Posted by: marion dragulescu | Nov 7, 2011 2:26:35 PM

12. Jesus guys - do you all see how badly we treat one another? I don't think that straight conservatives do this to one another and we need to think about this.

Posted by: jhr459 | Nov 7, 2011 4:20:38 PM

13. Just ran across this on HuffPro: "As for Kurt and Blaine, Colfer says the experience will be anything but a regret. “I’m assuming they’ll be much happier. They’ll probably be a lot more tired,” he jokes. “But I think it brings them closer.”

Tired. Can teenagers get tired from too much sex? LOL! The idea that the act brings them closer together may be a clue to the couple's future. I want one of them to propose to the other. Anita Bryant is sure to go nuts if/when that happens!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 7, 2011 4:22:48 PM

14. @OS2GUY: I appreciate you sharing your story. As a gay male in my early twenties, I see solid relationships like Blaine and Kurt (which, admittedly, are on a very stylized show) and further wonder how realistic monogamy/domesticity are in the gay world. It's really encouraging, then, to see such a successful real-life example.

Posted by: Ethan | Nov 7, 2011 5:16:59 PM

15. I really laughed hard when I first heard the term "Gleetard". I guess it's so bad, it's good.

Posted by: anon | Nov 7, 2011 6:01:35 PM

16. "Spoilers?" You can't spoil this show.

Posted by: not a gleetard | Nov 7, 2011 6:09:13 PM

17. @ETHAN - Thanks, you (and others) are the basis for my sharing. One of the main reasons why the "It's gets better" campaign has been so widespread and successful is because love can and will happen to you sometime during your life. You may think that a pipe dream but it isn't. Many older gay people have never had the freedom or opportunity to openly embrace a same-sex relationship. The X&Y generations do. A lot has to do with being born/raised in SF. Just before our son was born we considered moving to Hawaii. Husband went to Hawaii U and my Grandfather has lived on Big Island since 1945. If I wasn't in Summer School I spent the Summer there. I was willing to go for Greg, to make him happy but it was Greg who eventually turned down the idea. He had become so comfortable here and realized it wouldn't be that way there, as a gay married couple with a son. And the marriage itself gave Greg an ease and happiness he has never felt before (despite a previous hetero marriage).

The thing was finding each other, two people with the same dreams, wants, desires and compatibilities. Neither one of us is perfect but we know there is no one else in this world who would love us as much as we love each other. He and Steven are to me, my entire world. I live to be with them every day. And it is the same for him.

TMI, of course, but the bottom line is - the opportunity will come to all of us at least once. Embrace it. It will be the best time of your life.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 7, 2011 6:25:31 PM

18. I disagree that it's a "known fact" that a lot of gay kids are promiscuous and non-elusive, except inasmuch as "a lot of" (whatever number that means) kids in all other (non-gay) categories are also that way.
    I would not be surprised if gay teens have FEWER sexual partners than heterosexual teens; In fact, I'd guess that's probably the case. My straight friends in high school were having sex with pretty much any willing female.
    I didn't know anyone whom I knew was gay at the time, so the idea of having a boyfriend was a dream to me, and the idea of sex with dozens of people like my hetero friends did was not even conceivable to me.
    But if I'd had a boyfriend I know my mind was fixed on the more romantic idea.
    What Chris stated sounds more like a common perception (or maybe misconception) than a "known fact."

Posted by: GregV | Nov 7, 2011 11:57:44 PM

19. I've never watched this show once in my life.

Posted by: Sergio | Nov 8, 2011 2:14:47 AM

20. Oh, Hell. It looks like the heteronormative monogamy nazis have gotten to Chris. He's one of them, now.

Btw, Andrew, there's no such thing as a top that's "too hung," just so you know. There are only bottoms who are too chicken to put forth the effort.

Posted by: Southern Comfort | Nov 8, 2011 3:18:29 PM