Jeremy Renner ‘Nauseated’ by Attention to His Personal Life: Details

Renner

Jeremy Renner is disgusted by unwanted attention to his personal life and his housemate and best friend Kristoffer Winters, whom he refers to as his "brother", according to Details:

It's not surprising that in Renner's dating vacuum, the worst bottom-feeding websites have suggested there's something more to his relationship with his pal and sometime housemate Winters. The unwanted attention nauseates him, even as he understands its causes. "I don't pay attention to that horseshit. Build 'em up to bring 'em down?" he says of celebrity culture. "I'm not going on that train, my son. I'm not going on that train. I'll walk. I'll take a bike." He lets out a laugh that sounds like a lawn mower starting up. "I'd rather just not be popular."

Renner doesn't date because he doesn't have time:

When Renner says he's given up his life for his job, this is what he means: "I never dated, because I couldn't afford to date. I didn't even have electricity. You try to put a positive spin on it, like, 'Hey, this is so sexy—look at all these candles!' But I loved what I was doing. The sacrifices I made in personal relationships had the biggest effect on my life. Even now, any woman would take a No. 2 seat to my job."

Comments

1. marshallt says

“I’d rather just not be popular.” … well, an attitude like this really helps. Keep it up and you’ll get your wish.

2. says

I find it interesting that HE is not quoted saying it nauseates him, that is DETAILS saying so.

And why is DETAILS saying it’s so horrible and such a “bottom-feeding” kind of thing to do to speculate about someone’s sexuality? It’s what happens with all stars—people lust after them or DON’T lust after them, use them as cultural touchstones, gossip about them. There is absolutely nothing more negative about wondering if Renner is gay than there is wondering about Brangelina’s family life or wondering WTF is up with the Kardashians or wondering if Justin Bieber might have fathered someone’s baby.

DETAILS is just sucking up to Renner because they wanted him for their magazine; they’re a part of celebrity culture, too, and if anything should be called bottom-feeders for not daring to question their celebrities more and instead just capitalizing on them passively.

3. Jon says

To be fair, HE never said it nauseated or disgusted him. Those are the words of the article’s writer.

In fact, he seems to suggest that simply the attention in general that celebrities receive is what bothers him–nothing at all about the gay rumors.

4. Mike says

he is not any busier than any other actor in Hollywood who is married or dating. What a stupid line…”too busy”

5. Bill says

So, ‘Details’ magazine thinks it is ‘the worst bottom-feeding’ for someone to speculate that Renner might be gay?

Would ‘Details’ magazine think that it’s ‘the worst bottom-feeding’ for someone to speculate he is heterosexual?

Renner may or may not be gay.

But ‘Details’ magazine certainly seems to think Renner’s answer to that question would render him more valuable depending on his response.

Which is yet another reason to never purchase their publication.

6. sal says

okay
    1.MATTHEW RETTENMUND i luv what you said
    2.Details thank you for telling me what kinda trash you are,you have been dismissed

7. FernLaPlante says

Details is worthless and clearly homophobic. It’s okay for them to speculate on what actor is dating which actress but the minute it is same-sex it’s “disgusting.” Plus, I thought Renner was out. Now he is back in the closet thanks to the Hollywood machine? THAT’S disgusting.

8. Paul R says

I don’t think Details is homophobic; I think it’s just poorly written. Every issue has at least one article of specific gay content, there’s tons of worthless, overpriced, long fashion spreads, and many of the staff are gay. But it’s an awful magazine.

Still, Renner is more at fault here. Saying he’s too busy, living with a guy who spells his name Kristoffer, and basically saying he’s not interested in women *might* be why people speculate that he’s gay.

9. Little French Bulldog says

Haven’t really liked Renner’s films, but he seems like a cool enough guy. Not necessarily likeable, but cool enough, gay or not. I’ve known plenty of guys like Renner. Some were gay, some weren’t. Let him live his life the way he sees to.

As for the attention and unwanted speculation……a lot of actors complain when it’s happening, and miss it when it’s gone. If you’re being talked about, it’s because people know who you are. But it’s a little bit sensational for the item to be headlined as it is, Andy. Makes him sound worse than anything he actually said. That kind of sensationalism would piss me off too.

Also, the bottom-feeding website in question was Perez Hilton’s, and if that’s not bottom-feeding, then the concept is meaningless.

10. Aron says

I’m surprised no one’s commented on what Jeremy actually said. It’s true that society’s obsession with celebrity is a sick arrangement of bring them up to tear them down. US weekly, Inside Edition, Details, Michael K, etc – there’s a whole industry around trashing celebrities and it IS nauseating. Good for him for calling it out and doing whatever he can to avoid it. What happened to just letting an actor be an actor and judging him on his work? (not that that has ever really happened, I guess)

11. Chris says

i don’t think anything that either Renner or Details said is in any way homophobic. maybe the “bottom feeding” they are talking about is simply how the tabloid industry in general makes billions of dollars from turning every private detail of a celebrity’s life into public knowledge, whether it’s their sexuality, the clothes they wore to the grocery store or the diapers their children wear.

if anything, this Towleroad post is poorly written, not the Details article. anyone catch the original headline? it’s still part of the URL… “Jeremy Renner Nauseated By Gay Rumors” it’s yet another post on this site where a quote is taken completely out of context and twisted into an insinuation that someone is a homophobe. this site is a great resource for our community, but posts like this just incite anger where none is warranted. headlines that are clearly written to get people riled up and garner a high volume of clicks make Towleroad no better than the Gawkers and Perezes of the internet.

12. Kyle says

DETAILS and Esquire magazine should be used as toilet paper by every gay man in the world. Both are homophobic rags that cater to the creepy meterosexual “straight” man.

13. Kyle says

Aron, so gay rumors are okay and nauseating? It’s okay to view them as insults and put-downs?

Tell us what Details and Renner really meant. I’m curious.

14. MaryM says

Perez Hilton did not try to ‘out’ Jeremy Renner. It merely reported that Renner and Kristoffer had put their jointly owned home on the market for sale.

15. endo says

Jeezus, most of you people on here are retarded.

It clearly says “the worst bottom-feeding WEBSITES.” It’s referring to specific gossip sites, not general speculation about someone’s sexuality. And those sites – Perez, TMZ, Gawker – are bottom feeders!

16. says

@Kyle, when you get out of Kindergarten, you may learn to stop judging people because of their ages. Go back to your circuit party and leave the adults to their discussion.

17. Matt says

Whats with all of these, “who is he” comments? Renner is not extremely well known but you’d have to be pretty out of the loop not to know who he is. Note to all the old cave dwellers, these newfangled phones out there take pictures and even capture video too. Wow! I know, right?!

18. Self-Loathing Homosexual says

Neither said anything wrong. Get over it people. Gay IS an insult, nauseating, and bottom-feeding. Let’s be real here, people.

19. Bart says

I wouldn’t see a movie because Renner is in it. I wouldn’t not see one because he’s in it either. He doesn’t register with me at all.

20. endo says

Stop being so retarded, Sal.

How do I know this, Chris? Because it says so right in the effin’ copy! The two words “bottom feeding” form a hyphenated compound adjective that describes the noun that follows, “websites.” Why you no good at grammar?

21. endo says

Not really. You’re an ordinary troll trying to make some sort of clever commentary but really coming off as an impotent turd.

I’m someone who is apparently better at reading comprehension than the professional victims on this site.

22. emjayay says

The fabulous black 1963 Lincln Continental goes very well with his skinny tie. Not his though, I bet. Just there to give him some Mad Men cred.

23. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

It is possible to be gay without dating or cruising the Abbey every weekend. Many small business owners, professionals and otherwise-busy people just don’t have the time to stop and bar-hop or date…regardless of sexual orientation.

24. Self-Loathing Homosexul says

@Endo – wha? But, your use of the word ‘retard’ and ‘turd’ proves you’re just as trollish as I. So…you and I are cut from the same cloth.

25. josh says

SO what ???. he has every right in the world to feel or say what he wants…….he still a great actor and everybody knows he is right.so what if he likes acting but hates the late night do anybody life style…is it only freedom of speech only when you approve of it ??

26. Stranded says

@Joe M.

Really? You’re speculating on his sexuality because he took his mother to the Oscars? Clint Eastwood, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Charlize Theron have done it too. Are they gay in your opinion?

27. InGeneral says

@Joe M.

You are “in the industry” and you make a ridiculous comment such as that one? Can’t wait to hire you for all of my video editing needs. You seem so enlightened.

28. Crafty says

Not surprising, this isn’t the full quote. Renner does say that the tabloid media disgusts him because they are lying about his sexuality among other things. He says that the tabloid media are “sick”. So yes it seems they took liberty in using ‘nauseated’, but it seems to be the same sentiment.

29. jaragon says

I find it hard to believe that Jeremy Renner would have a hard finding a woman-perhaps he is not interested in playing that part of the Hollywood game.

30. Christopher Walker says

DETAILS is almost content-free. Its main purpose is to persuade you through mile after mile of well-photographed ads that if you can bring yourself to spend $450 on a pair of shoes, you will look like a heart-breakingly attractive model. It’s a venue for marketers, with an extremely thin veneer of journalism.

31. Rowan says

ARON

You’re full of SH*T. Michael K only deals with bottom feeding celebrities.

They make money off US the fans and treat us like cockroaches.

Saying that, Renner keeps himself to himself and I do feel people like him should be off limits per se. Basically he doesn’t deserve they same scorn as Kim Kardashian or Ryan Gosling who live their lives in the media.

32. Loddy says

“……, my son.” Haha, is he a Newfoundlander? I thought only Newfoundlanders said that!! Aussies too perhaps.

33. codylarico says

I think he is gay. During an oscar special he sat down with ben affleck and said somthn that took ben aback. Who cares. He’s a great actor who loves his job and wants his personal life private. The way it should b. For som1 like him it might b diff to come out in such a way for his career. He’s getting such big roles now, i’d keep my personal life seperate too if i were him in order to keep it. I’m sure when it calls 4 he will mentien in passing of his sexuality if worented. I just don’t like if he is gay he would pretened to be dating or not dating girls like it may b a possibility. That’s when u loose me.

34. says

Oh dear – well, I don’t really read Details Magazine – I just look at the pictures and read the advertisements. As far as Renner is concerned – I think he is a fine actor. I really have enjoyed the entire Mission Impossible franchise enjoyed the last one and thought both he and Cruise were excellent. I’ve also seen and enjoyed the Bourne films, have seen all of them more than once – and Really look forward to seeing Renner in the next one.

35. Alberto Del Rio says

It’s true that gays can be in-your-face and harass straight men who they think are gay. Some (not all) gay men are very, very annoying in their pursuit and don’t seem to understand the word “NO.”