GLAAD | Kelly Osbourne | News | Transgender

Kelly Osbourne Apologizes to the Transgender Community

Kelly Osbourne apologizes for using slurs hurtful to the transgender community:

OsbourneI'd first like to make it clear that no one asked me to write this.  After reaching out to GLAAD for advice and clarification, I thought it was imperative to explain and amend my wrong. I gained a lot of knowledge, and I now feel the urgency to speak out and teach others. As unfortunate as this incident was, I assure you it was taken out of context, but I cannot deny the words; they did come out of my mouth.

As a lifelong LGBT ally and friend, I feel it is my duty to not only apologize for my wrong but to also correct it. The word “tr*nny” is a derogatory and hurtful word. I was completely ignorant to this and soon came to realize most of my peers and LGBT friends are too. This is a word I will no longer use or allow. It wasn't until I googled it after speaking with GLAAD that I found out just how unbelievably offensive it was.  When friends jokingly called me that in the past, I took it as a compliment or a joke, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

She adds:

Due to the fact that it is Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20, I would like to raise awareness to this injustice in society. It is a day to remember those who have lost their lives due to anti-transgender violence and speak out against the fact that transgender people face disproportionate amounts of discrimination and harassment every day. The lack of knowledge about transgender people contributes to the unparalleled number of violent acts against them every day.

I Support the Transgender Community [glaad]

Comments

1. Good for her. I've always liked her very much, and knew she was an ally. I was very disappointed when I saw her tweet. Forgive and forget.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 18, 2011 5:39:55 PM

2. Classy and real. Breath of fresh air.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 18, 2011 5:41:34 PM

3. And that is how one apologizes. Congrats to her.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 18, 2011 5:47:22 PM

4. Took the words right out of my mouth Kyle. THAT is how one apologizes. Not one of those non-apology "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" apologies.

Posted by: SCollingsworth | Nov 18, 2011 5:59:32 PM

5. WOW! She can be amazing.

This makes me think about myself and the words I use casually.

I'm conflicted though. Half of me thinks that by using those words casually, it disempowers the words. The other half of me thinks that if nobody used those words, the world would be a better place.

Posted by: daneilw | Nov 18, 2011 6:14:51 PM

6. Very well done!

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 18, 2011 6:20:40 PM

7. I consider myself supportive of the trans community, and I honestly did not know that "tranny" was considered a derogatory term.

I am grateful for this post. It has corrected my ignorance.

Posted by: AG | Nov 18, 2011 6:21:12 PM

8. So wait... we're not allowed to use tranny anymore either?

Better get the memo to the Golden Shower Girls then.

yeesh...

Posted by: David | Nov 18, 2011 6:25:13 PM

9. Is this the second non-non-apology (aka actual apology) in the space of a week? I may faint.

Good on her. Way to do it right. And, see how easy it is if you do it right? APOLOGY ACCEPTED.

(well, by me, anyway. Let's hope any offended parties feel likewise)

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 18, 2011 6:43:11 PM

10. Tranny used to mean transvestite, usually affectionately. A Trannyshack night meant come in drag, not come with your gender surgically altered. That was a beautiful apology by our ally Kelly, but it ticks me off that it was even necessary. If the language police can't filter for intent, they do their movement no favors. And that's what this jewboy faggot thinks!

Posted by: Wisebear | Nov 18, 2011 6:49:10 PM

11. I wish some of the leaders in the tRans Community would speak up about this. I didn't know "Tranny" was a derogatory word. I mean, ANYTHING can be derogatory, depending on how you use it. It's the difference between The "N" word for Blacks and "Boy" for Blacks. So, is "Tranny" like the "N" word or like "Boy?"

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 18, 2011 6:51:29 PM

12. It's good to see that Kelly has done the responsible and good thing for apologizing for using that trans-misogynistic slur. Thank you Kelly!

Posted by: missanthrope | Nov 18, 2011 6:51:56 PM

13. WHAT?.. The word Tranny is derogatory and hurtful?. Who knew!?.. It's like my favorite word ever... Please.. People are WAY too sensitive..

Posted by: Dan Stella | Nov 18, 2011 7:31:11 PM

14. After this, I believe she should establish The Kelly Osbourne Celebrity Apology University. That was awesome!

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 18, 2011 7:39:48 PM

15. Awesome apology.

Posted by: robertmalcom | Nov 18, 2011 7:45:46 PM

16. not to be a spoilsport, but i follow kelly on twitter, and if she wrote that unassisted, i'm a monkey's uncle. she simply hasn't that command of the language. this takes nothing away from her putting her name to a thoughtfully written full apology, whoever authored it.

Posted by: bandanajack | Nov 18, 2011 8:24:36 PM

17. I've adored her ever since I saw her on DWTS.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Nov 18, 2011 8:53:55 PM

18. Tranny.

Posted by: Chuy Christ | Nov 18, 2011 9:01:28 PM

19. Thank you, Kelly. That was sweet and sincere.

Posted by: Max | Nov 18, 2011 9:18:49 PM

20. @bandanajack
    ...because twitter is where people write eloquently in 142 characters or less?

Posted by: kelehe | Nov 18, 2011 9:24:51 PM

21. I see the trans bullies have gotten to poor Kelly too. She had every right to call that piece of trash who stole her boyfriend a lot worse than tranny.

Posted by: Phineas Talbot | Nov 18, 2011 9:37:19 PM

22. when I first heard about this I didn't really care (because honestly it's hardly a rare occurance) but after reading this... I'm impressed. this is exactly how you handle these things.

well done.

Posted by: lizard_queen | Nov 18, 2011 10:10:59 PM

23. I always wonder how these people who think "tranny" isn't offensive feel when they hear people use "faggot" recreationally. Just because it's been turned into something accepted into mainstream popular culture doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

I applaud Kelly for seeming genuine in her apology. How refreshing!

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 18, 2011 10:34:19 PM

24. Ok I love her even more now.

Posted by: Jasunmark | Nov 18, 2011 10:58:10 PM

25. That's classy. Whether she wrote it word by word herself doesn't matter - here's someone who owns up and it's nice.

As for the few trolls in the comment section, well it's disappointing of course but it's the internet, it's impossible to get rid of low lifes.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Nov 19, 2011 2:59:45 AM