Kelly Osbourne Apologizes to the Transgender Community

Kelly Osbourne apologizes for using slurs hurtful to the transgender community:

OsbourneI'd first like to make it clear that no one asked me to write this.  After reaching out to GLAAD for advice and clarification, I thought it was imperative to explain and amend my wrong. I gained a lot of knowledge, and I now feel the urgency to speak out and teach others. As unfortunate as this incident was, I assure you it was taken out of context, but I cannot deny the words; they did come out of my mouth.

As a lifelong LGBT ally and friend, I feel it is my duty to not only apologize for my wrong but to also correct it. The word “tr*nny” is a derogatory and hurtful word. I was completely ignorant to this and soon came to realize most of my peers and LGBT friends are too. This is a word I will no longer use or allow. It wasn't until I googled it after speaking with GLAAD that I found out just how unbelievably offensive it was.  When friends jokingly called me that in the past, I took it as a compliment or a joke, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

She adds:

Due to the fact that it is Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20, I would like to raise awareness to this injustice in society. It is a day to remember those who have lost their lives due to anti-transgender violence and speak out against the fact that transgender people face disproportionate amounts of discrimination and harassment every day. The lack of knowledge about transgender people contributes to the unparalleled number of violent acts against them every day.

I Support the Transgender Community [glaad]

Comments

1. Greg says

Good for her. I’ve always liked her very much, and knew she was an ally. I was very disappointed when I saw her tweet. Forgive and forget.

2. SCollingsworth says

Took the words right out of my mouth Kyle. THAT is how one apologizes. Not one of those non-apology “I’m sorry if I offended anyone” apologies.

3. daneilw says

WOW! She can be amazing.

This makes me think about myself and the words I use casually.

I’m conflicted though. Half of me thinks that by using those words casually, it disempowers the words. The other half of me thinks that if nobody used those words, the world would be a better place.

4. AG says

I consider myself supportive of the trans community, and I honestly did not know that “tranny” was considered a derogatory term.

I am grateful for this post. It has corrected my ignorance.

5. David says

So wait… we’re not allowed to use tranny anymore either?

Better get the memo to the Golden Shower Girls then.

yeesh…

6. Zlick says

Is this the second non-non-apology (aka actual apology) in the space of a week? I may faint.

Good on her. Way to do it right. And, see how easy it is if you do it right? APOLOGY ACCEPTED.

(well, by me, anyway. Let’s hope any offended parties feel likewise)

7. Wisebear says

Tranny used to mean transvestite, usually affectionately. A Trannyshack night meant come in drag, not come with your gender surgically altered. That was a beautiful apology by our ally Kelly, but it ticks me off that it was even necessary. If the language police can’t filter for intent, they do their movement no favors. And that’s what this jewboy faggot thinks!

8. Hollywood, CA says

I wish some of the leaders in the tRans Community would speak up about this. I didn’t know “Tranny” was a derogatory word. I mean, ANYTHING can be derogatory, depending on how you use it. It’s the difference between The “N” word for Blacks and “Boy” for Blacks. So, is “Tranny” like the “N” word or like “Boy?”

9. missanthrope says

It’s good to see that Kelly has done the responsible and good thing for apologizing for using that trans-misogynistic slur. Thank you Kelly!

10. Dan Stella says

WHAT?.. The word Tranny is derogatory and hurtful?. Who knew!?.. It’s like my favorite word ever… Please.. People are WAY too sensitive..

11. peterparker says

After this, I believe she should establish The Kelly Osbourne Celebrity Apology University. That was awesome!

12. bandanajack says

not to be a spoilsport, but i follow kelly on twitter, and if she wrote that unassisted, i’m a monkey’s uncle. she simply hasn’t that command of the language. this takes nothing away from her putting her name to a thoughtfully written full apology, whoever authored it.

13. Phineas Talbot says

I see the trans bullies have gotten to poor Kelly too. She had every right to call that piece of trash who stole her boyfriend a lot worse than tranny.

14. lizard_queen says

when I first heard about this I didn’t really care (because honestly it’s hardly a rare occurance) but after reading this… I’m impressed. this is exactly how you handle these things.

well done.

15. Andrew says

I always wonder how these people who think “tranny” isn’t offensive feel when they hear people use “faggot” recreationally. Just because it’s been turned into something accepted into mainstream popular culture doesn’t mean it isn’t offensive.

I applaud Kelly for seeming genuine in her apology. How refreshing!

16. G.I. Joe says

That’s classy. Whether she wrote it word by word herself doesn’t matter – here’s someone who owns up and it’s nice.

As for the few trolls in the comment section, well it’s disappointing of course but it’s the internet, it’s impossible to get rid of low lifes.

17. Mel Smith says

Kelly is a true sweetheart, and her apology is totally awesome and classy.

However, let me vent for a moment please. As a gay person that happens to also be a black male, the double standards based on skin color really irks my nerves.

In the past, I have notice a lot of vile and racist comments against black folks by visitors of this website. Those individuals NEVER apologized, and people never corrected them. Out of frustration due to the double standards that I’ve witnessed on postings about homophobia committed by blacks and homophobia committed by whites, I gained the attention of some towleroad readers by venting about how homophobic people in white neighborhoods are, and how Europeans are responsible for homophobia, etc…. I have also vented against heterosexuals too because of their homophobia. Some of you might call me a “double minority”(black and gay).

I made my comments about white homophobia in response to the vile, hurtful and racist comments of some readers of this site. Am I the only one on this site that used to have my “I don’t like heterosexual people moments”???? Some of the white and gay brothers and sisters understood where I was coming from. Others, ????

As a person that respects EVERYONE, regardless of color, sexual orientation, religion, identity, etc, I was called ignorant, racist, and other names by people on this site. “Wow,” I said to myself. “When people post racist rants about black people, it is barely corrected. The minute I vent(out of anger in response to the vile and hurtful racist comments of some viewers) about the homophobia of white people, my views were quickly correctly. Hypocrisy is a
    b!tch!!!” I tried to apologize, tried to explain where my comments came from, tried to explain how my favorite teacher in elementary school was a white woman, etc… Some viewers said I should just go away, etc…

My ignorance and everyone’s ignorance must always be corrected. No one is perfect. And if we are going to live in a positive world, people must be true to themselves and offer a real apology for their ignorance, not some half-a$sed apology. The people who offer nonsense apologies are the individuals we know are against us.

Lastly, before some of you type comments about the numerous topics of this website, please be really careful about stereotyping and using vile language about groups of people. Using words in the wrong manner is dangerous. See, some of us gay folks that also happens to be black, notice hypocrisy. Just chill out and be respectful.

I am a gay rights activist, transgender activist, women’s rights activist, and every other type of activist when it’s based on defending the rights of people.

We need more Kelly Osborne’s of the world. And if a black celebrity offers a real apology for their ignorance, please be equally accepting too. Remember, as a black and gay person, I see certain things. Check the ignorance and hypocrisy of everyone on a equal level.

Thank you for allowing me to express myself on a Saturday morning.

Peace, and have a good weekend!!!

18. dunstan says

except that tranny isn’t offensive. ok, five us are offended by the term “person” so you can’t call us persons any more because it’s a hate crime. so ridiculous.

19. tribute6725 says

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how one apologizes.

Accepted. Nothing else to be said. Move on from here.

20. Jonathan says

I appreciate the apology but enough is enough. Tranny is just derogatory because some idiot woke up and decided it should be. Not gonna stop using the word. Sorry. Tranny Tranny Tranny Tranny Ferocia.

21. upsetter says

The reason why most are eating up her apology is because a lot of gay men use the word tranny also. So it’s kinda like birds of the same feather…..
    If Kelly Osbourne had said ‘faggot’ or any other gay male epithets, the reaction would probably be a little different regardless of how well-crafted her apology is.

22. Eric says

My best friend is transgender, and she calls herself a tranny all the time and once I said I didn’t like that word cause I didn’t see her as a “tranny” I just saw a girl and she simply replied while laughing “but I am”, soooo I guess it depends on who you ask.

23. Paul R says

At the event Trannyshack in San Francisco, which has been running since 1996 or so, the performers are a mix of drag queens, transsexuals (with these first two groups accounting for 95% of performers), drag kings, and real women. They all refer to themselves as trannies.

I don’t understand why the term is considered offensive.

24. Jim says

Kelly,
    As a transgender guy, I just want to say thank you. Im a huge supporter of the MG line, Madonna is my icon as well as Lola. Xo hope to meet u you guys someday!

Jim in Chicago