Marilyn Monroe | News

BigGayDeal.com

Michelle Williams Does Marilyn: VIDEO

Marilyn

Michelle Williams does her turn as Marilyn Monroe in the upcoming film 'My Week with Marilyn' and it's a mighty convincing turn.

Watch her perform "Heatwave" along with another clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Neither of these clips suggest in the slightest way Marilyn Monroe to me, but I guess I need to see the film before I say too much!

Posted by: Chopsie | Nov 4, 2011 11:38:17 AM

2. That was awful. She isn't sexy enough to play Monroe. Plus, in that trailer she sounds a bit British.

Posted by: Andreas | Nov 4, 2011 11:47:39 AM

3. Have either of you ever seen Marilyn outside of a photo? I think Michelle is spot on and, while everyone in Hollywood seems to be ready to hand the Oscar to Meryl, again, my vote goes to Miss Williams.

Posted by: Wayne | Nov 4, 2011 12:12:24 PM

4. Marilyn had a very unique speech sound, and sexiness doesn't mean anything...Michelle seems to give life to marilyn by making her a real person and not the myth or idea we have of her...but a real person

Posted by: Bosie | Nov 4, 2011 12:32:51 PM

5. I think she looks and sounds great in it. Do you expect her to mince around doing a campy Marilyn Monroe impression all the time?

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 4, 2011 12:51:10 PM

6. The book (The Prince, The Showgirl, and Me) by Colin Clark is terrific. I hope the film lives up to it.

Posted by: rob | Nov 4, 2011 12:55:23 PM

7. I'm with Wayne, Bosie and Jerry. The opening number leaves much to be desired, but Williams ends up winning you over.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Nov 4, 2011 1:54:20 PM

8. When playing a person of such iconic stature, the first mistake is to be too much like the stereotypes. Performances of that nature have no depth and no place to go.

Purists criticized Marion Cotillard's portrayal of Edith Piaf at first, but in context of the film, it's perfect. I'm dying to see this film and Michelle Wiliams is always terrific.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 4, 2011 2:13:05 PM

9. Color me skeptical. There's nothing sexy at all about the Heatwave clip. And that silhouette pose she strikes at the piano is just all kinds of awkward. I really like Michelle, but I just don't get this.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Nov 4, 2011 3:17:48 PM

10. Sorry, but that was not convincing. Michelle is a fine actress and I'm sure she will give a good performance in the film, but when it comes to capturing Marilyn's essence, she falls flat. The person who captures Marilyn's aura best is Jimmy James, a gay man.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 4, 2011 5:36:04 PM

11. Jimmy James is the best MM impersonator IMO. As for Michelle, nevermind that the figure, hair and make up are just not quite there, based on that trailer alone, she fails to capture Marilyn's mannerisms and speech pattern...I have seen plenty of interview footage of MM without the trappings of the characters she played on screen and if that is what Michelle was looking to recreate in this movie, she still falls flat. MM did not have a British twang btw. Plus I don't see much appeal in a portrayal of a fictional episode of MM's life, which this seems to be.

Posted by: marica | Nov 4, 2011 6:04:20 PM

12. Lame. Movie won't work.

And the guy wearing a 2011 haircut ... yeah he's cute, but he's not Marilyn Monroe era.

I am certainly not going to see that movie. Yawn.

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 4, 2011 7:39:13 PM

13. Silhouette is totally off, wrong body.

Posted by: BBB | Nov 5, 2011 7:59:27 AM

14. LOL what's up with the homoerotic moment in which on guy hops on the other guy's back at 0:03? Aren't they supposed to be over her?

Posted by: stranded | Nov 5, 2011 4:39:35 PM

15. My goodness they totally miscast her. She doesnt have the vulnerability, femininity and charisma Monroe had. She doesnt evne have the figure. Monroe had a certain kind of sauciness to her, a look - Michelle Williams just cannot do it. She looks like a butcher's wife dressed as Monroe. They should have cast someone like Jamie King for the part. In fact i can think of a host of actresses who could have done a better job. What a total fail.

Posted by: Elle | Nov 5, 2011 4:59:42 PM