DOMA | Immigration | News

Married Gay Binational Couple Brandon and Luke Vow to Fight DOMA

Brandon tells the story of how he met and married Luke, a South African, and decided to step forward as a public face against the Defense of Marriage Act, at Stop the Deportations:

Brandon_lukeI will fight for my right to sponsor my husband for a “green card,” a privilege heterosexual Americans take for granted. With President Obama’s recent decision not to defend DOMA and signals from the Department of Homeland Security about protecting LGBT families from being torn apart by deportation, we believe that this is the time to challenge our exclusion from the family-based immigration system that otherwise works reasonably well to keep opposite-sex binational couples together.

We start here today by arguing our case in the court of public opinion. Recently, we joined Stop The Deportations – The DOMA Project, and I filed a petition for Luke as my spouse. We know that puts us in a potentially perilous position: unlike an opposite-sex couple my petition will face the insurmountable hurdle of DOMA and unlike all other spouses in our situation, Luke could face deportation if we are not ultimately successful.  We do not want to be forced into exile and we cannot imagine life apart. This means we might have no option but to fight this in the courts and in Congress like so many thousands of gay binational couples who have raised the profile of this inhumane and cruel discrimination.  Whatever the short-term challenges, we will not allow ourselves to be torn apart by my government.

Married New Yorkers, Brandon and Luke, Join Fight Against DOMA [stop the deportations]

Comments

1. my congratulations!

Posted by: buy a research paper | Nov 28, 2011 12:06:42 PM

2. Right on guys! Your certainly have my support along with, I would imagine, the majority of the gay community. Thank you for stepping forward and putting a face on the issue.

I'm lucky in that my husband is Irish, born here, while his parents immigrated and became naturalized American citizens. Altho English is their second language and I often have to turn to Greg for an interpretation, I love them for giving me Greg and for accepting me as their son-in-law. I simply cannot imagine life without him and if the threat of having him or his parents deported hung over our heads it would be heartbreaking and a very big hurtle to jump. Best wishes to Brandon and Luke.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 28, 2011 12:28:59 PM

3. I wish you both well. May you succeed and may the stupidity stop.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 28, 2011 12:43:37 PM

4. I hope these guys succeed, and I'd gladly donate a little money for the cause.

And yes, BOBBY, may the stupidity stop!!

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 28, 2011 12:49:55 PM

5. It's very courageous of this couple to stand up for equality in immigration law.

Politicians won't touch it because they think things like this can't happen to upper middle class people like themselves.

Obama needs to be challenged to address this issue when he's in NYC this week.

Posted by: yonquersconquers | Nov 28, 2011 2:04:25 PM

6. Right on, boys. Go get 'em. :)

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 28, 2011 5:15:18 PM

7. good luck, to both of you...dinners on me if you want to 'warm up' in fla,anytime, stat safe,stay well, VERY PROUD of both of you.

Posted by: codyj | Nov 28, 2011 6:21:37 PM

8. Sterkte en alles van die beste!

Facing similar challenges however neither of us are citizens. One of us holds a Green-card and the other works on a diplomatic visa which would be revoked should his job situation change. Under DOMA we have no protection or ability to sponsor the other a Green-card. You have my full support and if there is anything I/we can do to help let me know.

Good Luck!

Posted by: RCK | Nov 29, 2011 10:37:47 AM

9. Right on guys!! With more and more petitions stacking up and lawsuits against doma, will give them no choice! Can't wait for the day that comes true! I'll party party like a rock star! gay rock star. = 4 all

Posted by: Alberto | Nov 29, 2011 5:10:11 PM