Gay Marriage | Maggie Gallagher | News | Thanksgiving

Maggie Gallagher Offers Tips on Defending Your Anti-Gay Views at Thanksgiving Dinner: VIDEO

M_gallagher

NOM's Maggie Gallagher (speaking for the 'Culture War Victory Fund') tells anti-gays to stand their ground at Thanksgiving and try to cover up their bigotry with a call for tolerance, and some pie.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via good as you)

Comments

1. "Just do what I did - i let my only son know just how much he'd disappoint me if he admits to being gay. I remind him that I raised him as a single mother, and that without me he'd have nothing. i remind him about how i still support his choice to be in musical theatre, and i don't blame him for that choice since he didnt' have a father figure around. and then i remind him that i hate gay people so much that i've dedicated my entire life to ensuring that they're denied equality, and i demonize them publicly for my own financial gain. and then i say pass the yams, because i LOVE yams. and then i say, "Son, you know momma could have aborted you but chose not to, right? You know that because I had you I had to give up some of my own dreams. You know that if you were gay you'd be ruining everything momma worked so far for, right son?" And then he feels real guilty, and I know I've bought myself at least 5 more years of his silence. and that's what being a real Christian is about. by the way, my real last name is Srivastev, but I don't use it because it sounds too 'foreign' and i want people to think im' just a good old american girl. and i don't believe gluttony is a sin. and i like ham better thank turkey ,if you're offering"

thanks, maggie.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 23, 2011 11:08:40 AM

2. So, Maggie has adopted the asymmetrical haircut Rosie O'Donnell had when she first came out as a lesbian. Welcome to 2002.

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 23, 2011 11:09:52 AM

3. Who would listen to this woman? These talking points are ridiculous and contrary what she'd like us to believe, she's a hater and bigot. You can say it all you want Mags, refute away. You are what you are and you chose to be that. Your CHOSEN LIFESTYLE is that of a hateful bigot. Happy Turkey Day and get stuffed!

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 23, 2011 11:10:23 AM

4. nothing all that different then what we have heard before. though she looks different this time. no?

Posted by: robert | Nov 23, 2011 11:13:03 AM

5. So maggie whats your anti gay views and thanks for coming to our thanksgiving :)

Maggies response: ME WANT FOOD NOM NOM NOM!

Posted by: Michael | Nov 23, 2011 11:14:37 AM

6. Wow. She makes Thanksgiving dinner sound awful.

Posted by: Bastian | Nov 23, 2011 11:15:17 AM

7. You'd never get close to MY table, but if you did, and your offered you oh-so-civil talking points, here would be my response:

Posted by: ChrisQ | Nov 23, 2011 11:17:10 AM

8. What a sad cow.

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 23, 2011 11:18:23 AM

9. Ok, so Maggie wants us to be tolerant as she sits on the 'moral high ground.' We are to tolerate her as she sits up there and denigrates us? Hyprocrite. (and kudos to her--I assume--gay hairdresser!!)

Posted by: Christopher | Nov 23, 2011 11:20:09 AM

10. So we should tolerate intolerance? The get to be intolerant, but we should be tolerant of them? She is so full of stupid it's hard to look at her.

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 23, 2011 11:22:39 AM

11. Oops, that should have read "They get to be..."

sorry

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 23, 2011 11:23:36 AM

12. Little Kiwi - You are sorely missed here in NYC. Come back soon and we can have a Sound of Music party.

Posted by: Fritz | Nov 23, 2011 11:27:00 AM

13. What Maggie's saying is so simple really -- discrimination isn't discriminatory.

See? Makes perfect sense.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 23, 2011 11:27:01 AM

14. Nothing says pro-family than a right-winger bringing up same-sex marriage at the dinner table just to make sure their views are known. How pathetic.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 23, 2011 11:27:36 AM

15. If Maggie comes to your Thanksgiving Dinner just pass her the truffles to shut her up until the pie gets served. She'll be so busy oinking and snorting she won't have time to lecture!

Posted by: jaime jones | Nov 23, 2011 11:34:13 AM

16. As much as I hate watching her and hate that anyone gives her a platform, I am glad the obvious circular logic that proves her arguments have no validity, is so obviously stated.

Posted by: rayrayj | Nov 23, 2011 11:38:38 AM

17. Well that's fascinating, Maggie. I see youre still depending on a straight hairstylist. Tsk tsk...

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 23, 2011 11:42:53 AM

18. The one thing Maggie should avoid at the Thanksgiving gathering is second helpings.

Posted by: jack | Nov 23, 2011 11:43:52 AM

19. LOL! These right-wing nutjobs really do use the word "elite" as if it's a derogatory term!

Posted by: Joe | Nov 23, 2011 11:44:16 AM

20. To quote someone else - If you are intolerant and hateful, or feel yourself in some way superior to others you should just learn to leave those feelings alone inside your head where there is clearly a lot of unused space where they can roam free. Please don't spread your nescient opinions and vitriolic babble around. It is inconsiderate of you to display your idiocy. I mean, the fact is that we just think you're an idiot when you say ignorant, racist, hateful, superior, or ridiculous things.

Posted by: Beth | Nov 23, 2011 11:45:20 AM

21. "It's ok to treat different things differently.." isn't that what they did to the blacks.. and women before that? How'd that work out?

Posted by: deryk | Nov 23, 2011 11:51:21 AM

22. I wish I had time to elaborate...but I'm busy making stuffing and pie for my husband and two great kids & five grandkids today...with my husband of 27 years. I don't think the "issue"
    of marriage equality will be a part of Thanksgiving conversation...we're too busy being thankful for each other!!!
    We love being together on Thanksgiving...it's so "familiar".

Posted by: Paul B. | Nov 23, 2011 11:52:05 AM

23. At 0:27 she says "gravies" (plural). Just how many gravies does Maggot eat at one meal? She probably needs a fleet of gravy boats...a gravy navy.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Nov 23, 2011 11:53:42 AM

24. I researched this womans income once. She makes over 200k at NOM alone. Then there are the speaking engagement fees. Im sure all of her traveling expenses are paid and not to mention a LARGE discretionary spending account for dinners with clients.
    She also gets stipends from several other "non-think tanks".
    Yeah shes a pig alright. Shes been feeding at the thanksgiving troff of bigotry for a long time. Shes a catholic and divorced. Shes a glutton which is a sin. Shes a liar and a cheat which are also sins. and most of all shes a self righteous pig.

Posted by: stevenelliot | Nov 23, 2011 11:54:44 AM

25. I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the 1986 Lesbian hairdo. Wait, I had some male friends with that hair too!

Posted by: Mike | Nov 23, 2011 11:56:37 AM