Boston | Catholic Church | News

Nation's Oldest Catholic Newspaper Pulls Column Suggesting Homosexuality Caused by Biological Interference of Satan

The Boston Pilot, the nation's oldest Roman Catholic newspaper, has withdrawn and apologized for a column by Massachusetts attorney Daniel Avila, who also serves as Policy Advisor for Marriage and Family to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Subcommittee for the Promotion and Defense of Marriage, which suggested that homosexuality is caused by Satan interfering with 'typical' biological development.

AvilaWrote Avila in the column:

“…the scientific evidence of how same-sex attraction most likely may be created provides a credible basis for a spiritual explanation that indicts the devil. Any time natural disasters occur, we as people of faith look back to Scripture’s account of those angels who rebelled and fell from grace. In their anger against God, these malcontents prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. They continue to do all they can to mar, distort and destroy God’s handiwork.

Therefore, whenever natural causes disturb otherwise typical biological development, leading to the personally unchosen beginnings of same-sex attraction, the ultimate responsibility, on a theological level, is and should be imputed to the evil one, not God.”

Said Avila, in a retraction: "The teaching of Sacred Scripture and of the Catechism of the Catholic Church make it clear that all persons are created in the image and likeness of God and have inviolable dignity. Likewise, the Church proclaims the sanctity of marriage as the permanent, faithful, fruitful union of one man and one woman. The Church opposes, as I do too, all unjust discrimination and the violence against persons that unjust discrimination inspires. I deeply apologize for the hurt and confusion that this column has caused."

Wrote the paper's editor: "In addition to echoing Mr. Avila's statement of regret, The Pilot also wishes to apologize for having failed to recognize the theological error in the column before publication."

Comments

1. Thanks, Towleroad, for my biggest laugh of the day!

Posted by: johnny | Nov 3, 2011 9:11:41 AM

2. And in the next post we have a dog blinded by a weener.

Posted by: uffda | Nov 3, 2011 9:17:31 AM

3. Apology by Avila and The Pilot are totally inadequate! What a Faux Pas.

Posted by: bill croke | Nov 3, 2011 9:29:02 AM

4. I hate backhanded apologies.

"Sorry, we actually 'love' you and don't think you're the devil! Instead, we think you're just sinners who will go to hell if you don't repent! Oh, and we definitely still aren't with you on the marriage equality thing."

Posted by: brian | Nov 3, 2011 9:42:39 AM

5. Someone's head will roll for leaking this INTERNAL memo.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 3, 2011 9:49:08 AM

6. Mr Avila, you need to get laid.

Posted by: Don | Nov 3, 2011 9:49:34 AM

7. All persons are created in the image and likeness of God? Really? Last time I checked, my parents created me and I look like both of them. So this cult knows for sure what God looks like then?

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Nov 3, 2011 10:10:10 AM

8. So the Pilot refuses to confirm that earthquakes are caused by Satan? That was one of the claims. I think the US Geological Survey deserves to know what evidence the church is hiding!

Posted by: Karl | Nov 3, 2011 10:15:41 AM

9. This kind of "teaching" is business as usual in Catholicland. I have distinct memories of not one but TWO different teachers (one each in Catholic grade school and high school) telling us that homosexuality is a punishment god inflicts on people who have committed other abominable sins.

I always have to laugh when I hear phrases like "Catholic teaching" and "Catholic intellectual."

Posted by: jomicur | Nov 3, 2011 10:15:46 AM

10. Like Pakistan with bin Laden, the church claims to oppose Satan yet they cover up evidence that could be used to track him down. He's walking to and fro? Yeah right.

Posted by: Karl | Nov 3, 2011 10:22:44 AM

11. Odd. I thought there was one real evil in this world, which is the Catholic Church. Foul and fetid.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 3, 2011 10:23:37 AM

12. I am still awaiting a theological explanation for the Catholic church's pedophilia...

Posted by: Todd | Nov 3, 2011 10:25:26 AM

13. he's even erroneous about the story of "those angels who rebelled and fell from grace." That story, which is not in the biblical canon but has its origins in non-canonical literature, was "popularized" in Milton's "Paradise Lost," through which it found its way into popular stories and conceptions of the myth of the so-called fallen angels.

meanshile, Mr Avila's worldview shows himself to be roughly the equivalent of believers in witch-doctors.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 3, 2011 10:40:21 AM

14. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2011/11/03/concerning-the-eccentricities-of-daniel-avila/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 3, 2011 10:42:45 AM

15. "I'm going to create man and woman with original sin. Then I'm going to impregnate a woman with myself as her child, so that I can be born. Once alive, I will kill myself as a sacrifice to myself to save you from the sin I originally condemned you to". Ta Dah!!!!

Posted by: DearComrade | Nov 3, 2011 10:49:31 AM

16. I LIKED his story and wish he hadn't retracted it. WHO CARES if the RCC wants to explain homosexuality or red hair or left-handedness by saying it is the devil's work? I am FINE with that. It's their area of expertise, (such as it is!) So long as they stop pretending to speak with scientific authority or medical authority of psychiatric authority or sciological authority on gay people -- since, as we know, the RCC is not an expert in any of these areas, then again, I am FINE with this. The church should feel free to stay in its area of knowledge and feel free to teach its people any spirituality it likes about the rotation of the earth, the existence of heaven, ghosts, prayer, etc. I think it helps us when they remember their place vis-a-vis the medical and scientific professions.

Posted by: Pete | Nov 3, 2011 10:59:40 AM

17. lol, Why retract, Afraid your paper will lose credibility? LOL

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 3, 2011 11:58:01 AM

18. leave it to the pathetic catholic church!

Posted by: Peter | Nov 3, 2011 11:58:29 AM

19. The devil is responsible for:

- pedophile priests raping thousands of children (in the Unites States alone)
    - bishops moving more pedophiles to places where they raped more children
    - bishops covering it up
    - bishops lying about it
    - all Catholics shunning the victims

The devil is also responsible for making people think that God hates gays more than God hates child rapists and liars in His church.

Posted by: Patrick OMalley | Nov 3, 2011 1:10:03 PM

20. why yes, in fact my mother's name IS rosemary!

Posted by: matt | Nov 3, 2011 4:53:03 PM

21. as a redhead I am insulted by this discussion == Good Bye!

Posted by: David B. | Nov 3, 2011 7:23:49 PM

22. this bull from a bunch of pedophiles is really quite funny. this group of old men wearing dresses walking around carrying long shafts can anything be more gay?

Posted by: walter | Nov 3, 2011 8:54:10 PM

23. I don't care if the trolls roam free, but now that a spammer has invaded, it's time to modify the forum rules.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 31, 2012 8:08:23 AM

24. We could see which you will be getting considerable time and effort in your blog site and comprehensive articles! I will be exceedingly in love with almost every piece of data an individual.liulipingcomment201204

Posted by: oakley glasses | Apr 13, 2012 10:59:20 PM

25. I'm seriously deeply in love with all solitary part of info anyone submit below. Will be rear typically to study much more revisions! liulipingcomment201204

Posted by: oakley sunglasses | Apr 17, 2012 9:36:11 PM