AIDS/HIV | New York | News

Design Competiton Launched for AIDS Memorial Park in NYC: VIDEO

Stvincentspark

A design competition has been launched for an AIDS Memorial Park opposite St. Vincent's Hospital in NYC's West Village, the NYT reports:

AradAt the helm will be Michael Arad, the designer of the poignant and provocative 9/11 memorial in the footprint of the former World Trade Center.

The goal of the competition is to produce a design for an integrated park, memorial and underground learning center to honor the 100,000 New York City residents who have died from AIDS, as well as to commemorate the efforts of the caregivers, many of them St. Vincent’s professionals, who responded to the crisis. Thirty years ago, St. Vincent’s was at the epicenter of the epidemic in the city.

Planners want it to be as much a park as a memorial.

Joining Mr. Arad on the design jury are, among others, the architects Richard Meier and Elizabeth Diller; the landscape architect Ken Smith; the High Line’s co-founder and executive director, Robert Hammond; the choreographer Bill T. Jones; and the novelist and journalist Kurt Andersen.

The coalition is accepting entries through Jan. 21, 2012, on the Web site Architizer.

Watch a video about the competition and the site, AFTER THE JUMP...

NYC AIDS Memorial Park Competition [official site]

AIDS Memorial Park Design Competition from Beechwood Film on Vimeo.

Comments

1. I don't know if it's just me, but if you turn the top picture upside down, the green area looks like a cock and balls.

Posted by: Jcrayst | Nov 29, 2011 9:25:15 PM

2. leave it to NYC to want to construct and AIDS memorial to only the 100,000 people the city has lost. the rest of us can suck it, i guess.

Posted by: deedrdo | Nov 29, 2011 9:47:27 PM

3. not that i don't appreciate the value of a good memorial... but wouldn't the money being spent on it be put to better use in aids research?

Posted by: Sully | Nov 29, 2011 10:43:33 PM

4. Why the negativity? I think it's awesome that NYC honour the 100K lost and all the ones affected by HIV/AIDS. I wish more cities all over the world had memorials... it's a great initiative and I know that they were having trouble getting this through because of NIMBY people who didn't want an AIDS memorial in their neighbourhood. Considering it's proximity to St. Vincent's, this is an important part of history to preserve. Congrats to the team heading this. I would visit NYC just to see it.

Posted by: graphicjack | Nov 29, 2011 11:59:43 PM

5. "to only the 100,000 people"? Really? 100,000 people really isn't an "only."

As for the money spent, it will doubtlessly be matched by donations to HIV/AIDS research. And memorials are created for tons of people who died before their time. I cannot see how anyone can be against this.

SF has an AIDS grove in Golden Gate Park, and I can't imagine complaining about that either. Parks and memorials comfort and engage people and promote awareness and understanding. If that makes you bitter, I'm sorry for you.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 30, 2011 1:14:31 AM

6. I think this is totally awesome and important for grounding the GLBT community in that area and marking a time in our history. I don't know what the deal is with all these negative comments!

Posted by: tim | Nov 30, 2011 1:33:40 AM

7. AIDS was never a gay condition. It was a condition of those who led appalling lifestyles characterized by extreme promiscuity, constant amyl sniffing, poor diets and reckless partner choices, including choosing total strangers with whom to have sex.

I simply loathe it when gay men try to spread the gay umbrella to those within our community who have chosen to lead very poor lifestyles. I don't want to be under your umbrella, simple as that.

Posted by: jason | Nov 30, 2011 7:09:20 AM

8. @Jason: whoa, hold off on the compassion buddy!

Posted by: kodiak | Nov 30, 2011 7:30:03 AM

9. Jason: You can "simply loathe" whomever you want, but the simple fact is you don't get to choose who gets the gay umbrella and who does not.

You have the right to your opinions of the character and integrity of my dead friends and lovers--whom you never had the good fortune to meet--but you should know that the nastiness of those opinions make you simply loathsome.

Based on your post, I don't think I want you under my umbrella either.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Nov 30, 2011 7:51:13 AM

10. I'm actually a very compassionate person. I care about sick people. I want people to live very long lives.

But I hate it when self-righteous gay twits moralize about how we "gays" are all at risk when in fact we aren't. I don't want to be a part of your identity politics notion. I don't want to be a part of your pity card plays. I don't want to be a part of your distortions.

If you were truly concerned about AIDS, you'd be insisting on the shutting down of those vile bath-houses that encourage promiscuity and sex with total strangers. Pigs might fly....

Posted by: jason | Nov 30, 2011 8:14:58 AM

11. Yet, it perfectly fine to a man to meet a woman at a bar, buy her a drink, then go home with her? By your logic we should shut down all bars!

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Jan 30, 2012 7:52:36 PM