Comments

1. graphicjack says

Why the negativity? I think it’s awesome that NYC honour the 100K lost and all the ones affected by HIV/AIDS. I wish more cities all over the world had memorials… it’s a great initiative and I know that they were having trouble getting this through because of NIMBY people who didn’t want an AIDS memorial in their neighbourhood. Considering it’s proximity to St. Vincent’s, this is an important part of history to preserve. Congrats to the team heading this. I would visit NYC just to see it.

2. Paul R says

“to only the 100,000 people”? Really? 100,000 people really isn’t an “only.”

As for the money spent, it will doubtlessly be matched by donations to HIV/AIDS research. And memorials are created for tons of people who died before their time. I cannot see how anyone can be against this.

SF has an AIDS grove in Golden Gate Park, and I can’t imagine complaining about that either. Parks and memorials comfort and engage people and promote awareness and understanding. If that makes you bitter, I’m sorry for you.

3. tim says

I think this is totally awesome and important for grounding the GLBT community in that area and marking a time in our history. I don’t know what the deal is with all these negative comments!

4. jason says

AIDS was never a gay condition. It was a condition of those who led appalling lifestyles characterized by extreme promiscuity, constant amyl sniffing, poor diets and reckless partner choices, including choosing total strangers with whom to have sex.

I simply loathe it when gay men try to spread the gay umbrella to those within our community who have chosen to lead very poor lifestyles. I don’t want to be under your umbrella, simple as that.

5. JeffNYC says

Jason: You can “simply loathe” whomever you want, but the simple fact is you don’t get to choose who gets the gay umbrella and who does not.

You have the right to your opinions of the character and integrity of my dead friends and lovers–whom you never had the good fortune to meet–but you should know that the nastiness of those opinions make you simply loathsome.

Based on your post, I don’t think I want you under my umbrella either.

6. jason says

I’m actually a very compassionate person. I care about sick people. I want people to live very long lives.

But I hate it when self-righteous gay twits moralize about how we “gays” are all at risk when in fact we aren’t. I don’t want to be a part of your identity politics notion. I don’t want to be a part of your pity card plays. I don’t want to be a part of your distortions.

If you were truly concerned about AIDS, you’d be insisting on the shutting down of those vile bath-houses that encourage promiscuity and sex with total strangers. Pigs might fly….