Law Enforcement | News | South Dakota

Cops, Nurse Save a Man's Life: VIDEO

Manslife

Ran across this video yesterday on Reddit and realized how often the things that are highlighted in the news are the negative aspects of law enforcement — cops behaving badly, etc. This is just a random incident, but one that just happened to be caught on the officer's dash cam, and it's riveting.

It's important to point out the good that can come from people working together, thinking quickly (and having the right equipment on hand).

Watch the video and read its YouTube description, AFTER THE JUMP...

YouTube:

At 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 27, Jeff Seamans driving through Rapid City with his wife and stepdaughter on their way to Montana. Seamans was a passenger in the car when he went into cardiac arrest; his wife called 911 for help.

Officer Kathleen Callery was the first officer on scene, and was quickly joined by Officer Chris Hunt and Officer Michael Frybarger. The trio administered CPR and an AED shock while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. As the officers worked to save Seamans' life, nurse Laurie Mills drove past the scene. She jumped in to assist the officers, helping to administer chest compressions as medics arrived. EMS took over CPR, and within minutes, Seamans was breathing on his own. Seamans was transported to Rapid City Regional Hospital, where he recovered and was released several days later.

Mills was honored for her assistance with the Community Service Award. Chief Allender also awarded Officers Callery, Hunt, and Frybarger with the Life Saving Medal for their swift response. The Life Saving Medal may be given to officers for an act performed in the line of duty that, through disregard of personal safety or prompt and alert action, results in saving a life.

Comments

1. Great story... but the law really does not protect the nurse who stopped to help. If things did not work out this well, she would have been wide open for suits by the family.

Posted by: Matt K. | Nov 2, 2011 11:03:43 AM

2. I totally agree. Let's not let the bad apples ruin it for the rest of the good cops and everyone else out there who work selflessly every day. They still deserve our respect and thanks in spite of what their colleagues may do.

Posted by: MT | Nov 2, 2011 11:05:47 AM

3. For those truly seeking some comfort in the meaning of life, you will find grace delivered in that video.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 2, 2011 11:06:42 AM

4. Bravo to them, and thank you for sharing the often less "glamorous" and "headline catching" duties officers are faced with, and compassionate samaritans who take action for others benefits. If only we as a human race could take a little more responsibility for the welbeing of others this situation would be far more common.

Posted by: Cal | Nov 2, 2011 11:13:15 AM

5. Matt K: Law in Iowa, http://occp.tripod.com/iowa.html, protects 'Good Samaritans' who help when they can. Don't let fear win!

Posted by: Christopher | Nov 2, 2011 11:27:02 AM

6. That made me cry and I make no apologies for doing so.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 2, 2011 11:32:12 AM

7. What's Brad on about?

Posted by: chad | Nov 2, 2011 11:38:07 AM

8. Good for them!

Not to be a crab or anything, but his wife is the very definition of "no good in an emergency!" I know she's upset, but she can't even help the 1st police officer pull the guy up far enough so CPR can be performed?

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 2, 2011 11:40:27 AM

9. Isn't government awful. These people should have their collective bargaining rights stripped.

According to Republicans they should have checked his insurance card first and if he didn't have any, he should have been left to die. It would save taxpayers money and of course personal responsibility is more precious than life itself

Posted by: Joey | Nov 2, 2011 11:58:11 AM

10. Cops behaving badly makes the news because it is the exception rather than the rule.

Posted by: Diogenes | Nov 2, 2011 12:19:25 PM

11. Let this be a lesson: if YOU or someone near you has a heart attack, you can likely be saved so long as somebody begins CPR. Don't ever 'just stand by' hoping some other person will step up to the life-saving job.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 2, 2011 12:35:08 PM

12. I love how cops are heroes for acting like human beings one time. They're scum. Even the supposed "good cops" are complicit in all the brutality and corruption. Show me a whistle blower and that's a cop I could respect. Since doing that will get you shot in the face by other cops a la Serpico, I doubt doubt any pigs have the stones to do it.

Posted by: andy | Nov 2, 2011 12:44:41 PM

13. Nice to see people working together to save a life- all the negative post for this story are bizarre!

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 2, 2011 6:13:52 PM

14. I'm just curious — just look at the "size" of the family. Of course he's having a heart attack, and of course they're having difficulties dealing with the problem… Americans should start dealing with their physical atrophy and stop being so amazed and shocked when these kind of things happen.

I am so glad I'm not on twitter.

Posted by: why bother | Nov 2, 2011 7:08:48 PM

15. Andy,

Your post is riddled with fallacies. As for scum, you seem to fit the definition.

Posted by: Ron | Nov 2, 2011 7:12:39 PM

16. Oh really Ron? I'm the scum? I've never assaulted or protected an assaulter in my life. I didn't shove a broomstick up Abner Louima's ass while the other thugs in blue stood around and laughed. I didn't shoot Sean Bell or Amadou Diallo or Oscar Grant or beat Rodney King or pepper spray peaceful woman or shoot a peaceful vet in the head... I mean this could take all day. EVEN IF these abuses were rare exceptions, what's undisputable is the silence from cops when they know full well what's going on. If you're gonna say my post is "riddled" with fallacies, then please enlighten me. In my 4 line comment, what are the fallacies?

Posted by: andy | Nov 2, 2011 8:40:40 PM

17. I work in law enforcement and can admit there are some bad cops out there. There are also some who like most humans, make mistakes. That being said, for every bad cop you here about in the news, there are 100 more you don't hear about because they do an awesome job every day.

Posted by: Moby | Nov 2, 2011 8:42:16 PM

18. 1) @ Matt K--most states (including Iowa) have Good Samaritan laws, so the nurse would not be held liable. I'm proud of her!
    2) The cops and the nurse did a great job (the chest compressions were too rapid but they got the defibrillator there quickly).
    3) The only thing that bugged me was the wife and ?daughter. Hang up your f'ing phone and help get your family member out of the car! 4) Ignore Andy. Ron's right.

Posted by: Docportland | Nov 2, 2011 10:26:21 PM

19. Thanks for posting this video.
    It's easy to take things for granted in this country, we're blessed with the services and dedicated people like the officers, EMS and nurse.

Posted by: garyj | Nov 3, 2011 4:00:21 AM