News | T.I. | Tracy Morgan

T.I.: Celebs Should Be Allowed to Speak Out Against Gays Without Being 'Shut Down'

Ti

In the new issue of Vibe, T.I. sounds off on the Tracy Morgan controversy, and suggests that it's un-American for gay people to speak out against those who criticize them:

Man, I will say this, the funniest joke I ever heard Tracy (Morgan) say during a stand-up was, ‘C’mon man, I think gay people are too sensitive. If you can take a dick, you can take a joke.’ [Cracks up laughing.] That shit was funny to me. And it’s kind of true.’

While T.I. makes clear that he supports anyone’s sexual preference, he then connects, in his opinion, a current oversensitivity among gay people with a consequential and ironic offense of the First Amendment. “They’re like,‘If you have an opinion against us, we’re gonna shut you down.’ ... That’s not American. If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace.’

Comments

1. The comical part about this entire thing? How NOM and the others are most likely going to suddenly anoint this man as a savior of free speech in spite of his vulgar songs and lyrics.

Posted by: a.mcewen | Nov 25, 2011 8:31:23 PM

2. Oh T.I... and I'm sure you think the world is just a peachy place when people hatefully drop the "N" word left and right. Free country and all that jazz, right?

Posted by: Paul | Nov 25, 2011 8:32:10 PM

3. I wish people would allow me to openly speak about getting blacks back into the fields and Jews back onto the trains. Gee, it's a free country and all. It's simply not American to keep my hate speech in check.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 25, 2011 8:34:22 PM

4. If that is his way of saying we need to lighten up a bit, he has a point

Posted by: Anjouan | Nov 25, 2011 8:34:46 PM

5. I take it he can take a joke.

Posted by: Abejabi | Nov 25, 2011 8:36:36 PM

6. "You're just too sensitive' is a typical perpetrator strategy. YAWN.

Posted by: Jenn | Nov 25, 2011 8:39:20 PM

7. Free speech also includes our right to judge others on the speech they chose to use.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 25, 2011 8:41:47 PM

8. Oh, I get it -- free speech for everyone except us. We have to shut up. Yes, when you put it that way, it does seem constitutional...

Posted by: kit | Nov 25, 2011 8:49:26 PM

9. You know the ironic thing about this? I know several gay black men and women who leapt to this assclown's defense (including me) when he was arrested for a parole violation. I was one of the first people to say that maybe he should be given another chance. Won't make that mistake again.

Posted by: Dr. Verdon Coleman | Nov 25, 2011 8:50:17 PM

10. I love blue humor, but Morgan's comments went too far. Furthermore, free speech does not shield you from consequences.

Posted by: a.mcewen | Nov 25, 2011 8:52:44 PM

11. Isn't it amazing that people like T.I. want their free speech rights unabridged but don't want to suffer the consequences for what they've said...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Nov 25, 2011 8:56:33 PM

12. I'm sure he thinks that Michael Richards had the right to say those things and should've been treated differently.

Posted by: Syrax | Nov 25, 2011 9:07:42 PM

13. Once again we need to explain what "Freedom of Speech" actually is.

Freedom of Speech means you are free to speak your mind without GOVERNMENT interference. No one from the government stopped Tracy Morgan from saying whatever he wanted to say. No one from the government is going to stop T.I. from saying whatever he wants to say. Freedom of Speech is alive and well.

Freedom of Speech does not mean that you will be free from the judgement of others and any consequences of that judgement.

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 25, 2011 9:14:24 PM

14. I bet he's grateful that people of color have the right to make boneheaded, ignorant statements without having crosses burned in their yards. Does he realize that such rights wouldn't exist for him if most people believed they should be able to be "against blacks" in peace?

Posted by: sparks | Nov 25, 2011 9:15:08 PM

15. TI needs to spend some time with some gay folks that had to recuperate from being beaten up by good straight folks that didn't like them being gay.

Posted by: bkmn | Nov 25, 2011 9:16:27 PM

16. What a vile little man this TI is. And to think that Ellen De Generes has had him on her show and has supported his career. Shame on you, Ellen.

The problem with TI's position is that speech against gays isn't just speech. It is speech designed to cause an effect. The effect is to curtail our rights, both legally and socially.

In any case, free speech works both ways. You talk, we respond. That's how the world goes.

Posted by: jason | Nov 25, 2011 9:18:35 PM

17. It is NOT racist to point to the hypocrisy of some black people. Some black people - especially the young ones - never had the consciousness of their fathers and mothers, the people who had to fight for their civil righs. Many young blacks are thus ignorant of the dangers of prejudice.

TI needs to be educated on the dangers of prejudice and bigotry.

Posted by: jason | Nov 25, 2011 9:24:29 PM

18. TI, like most ignorant losers, misapprehends the meaning and reach of the First Amendment, which reads, in pertinent part: "Congress shall make no law...." I.e., the Government may not unduly infringe on its citizens rights to speak.

1A has no private equivalent and does not foreclose the ability of concerned citizens to lobby advertisers to pull ads from publications/TV shows or the like.

Posted by: FinanceGuru | Nov 25, 2011 9:24:58 PM

19. What this thug TI is saying is "You gays must shut up whilst we take away your rights. Don't you dare criticize us for taking away your rights".

Posted by: jason | Nov 25, 2011 9:29:30 PM

20. Coretta Scott King my dear hero what happened to these black children?“Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism
    and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to
    dehumanize a large group of people, to deny
    their humanity, their dignity and personhood.”
    ― Coretta Scott King

Posted by: sal | Nov 25, 2011 9:32:12 PM

21. He has Free Speech, but the consequences will cost.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 25, 2011 9:39:16 PM

22. Dear T.I. Go back to jail so we can all forget that you were ever a "thing".

Posted by: johnplanxnetwork | Nov 25, 2011 9:54:43 PM

23. The hypocrisy. It burns. If someone started ranting against the "N-word-ers", he would likely be the first one to react and call for action. It is not "shutting down" to call out hate. People are free to say pretty much anything they like. They are NOT free to avoid the consequences of their speech.

Posted by: justinw | Nov 25, 2011 10:03:47 PM

24. Maybe, someone needs to glitter bomb him.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Nov 25, 2011 10:08:29 PM

25. What is it with these black ignoramuses being thrust on us by the music industry? What on earth have we done to deserve this litany of anti-gay idiots (50 Cent, Usher, Beenie Man, Buju Banton) being given recording contracts and fame and success? Perhaps it's time we ditched this extremely homophobic industry.

Posted by: jason | Nov 25, 2011 10:37:49 PM