Football (American) | News | Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow's Wife is in a Brokeback Marriage

Michael David Smith at NBC Sports notes how many in the NFL are losing patience over Tim Tebow's relationship with Jesus:

Tebow“If you’re married, and you have a wife, and you really love your wife, is it good enough to only say to your wife, I love her, the day you get married? Or should you tell her every single day when you wake up and have the opportunity? And that’s how I feel about my relationship with Jesus Christ,” Tebow said. “It is the most important thing in my life, so every opportunity I have to tell him I love him, or I’m given an opportunity to shout him out on national TV, I’m going to take that opportunity.”

And Tebow's also not just emotionally cheating on his wife, he's cheating openly and often:

There’s a distinction, however, between what Plummer criticized Tebow for and what Tebow responded to. Plummer wasn’t objecting to Tebow saying “I love you” to Jesus. Plummer was objecting to Tebow saying “I love Jesus” to the public, and saying it in just about every public appearance he makes. There’s nothing wrong with a man saying “I love you” to his wife every day, and there’s nothing wrong with a man saying “I love you” when he prays every day. What Plummer was saying is that he doesn’t think Tebow should inject his religious beliefs into a football discussion. Just as Plummer would, presumably, think it a little weird if an NFL player mentioned that he loves his wife in every interview.

JesusAnd, you know, he'd leave her for him:

But that leads to the next thing Tebow said in his interview — that his love for Jesus is greater than a man’s love for his wife, greater than Tebow’s own love for his family and greater than Tebow’s own love for football, and so it doesn’t matter to Tebow what Plummer thinks. Tebow said his relationship to Jesus is more important than anything else.

“I look at it as a relationship I have with him, I want to give him the honor and glory every time I get the opportunity,” Tebow said. “And then after I give him the honor and glory I always try to give my teammates the honor and glory, and that’s how it works. Because Christ comes first in my life, and then my family, and then my teammates. I respect Jake’s opinion, and I really appreciate his compliment of calling me a winner, but I feel like every time I get the opportunity to give the Lord some praise he is due for it because what he did for me, and what he did on the cross for all of us. I really appreciate his opinion and I respect him, but I still will give all the honor and glory to the Lord because he deserves it.”

Meanwhile, fans are turning Tebow into Jesus, which is a whole other eye-rolling kind of worship.

Previously...
Tim Tebow's Man on Man Victory Kiss [tr]
Tim Tebow Can't Talk About Same-Sex Marriage [tr]
Tim Tebow Defends Participation in Focus on the Family Ad [tr]

(via outsports)

Comments

1. "And then after I give him the honor and glory I always try to give my teammates the honor and glory, and that’s how it works." YEAH, BABY!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Nov 23, 2011 9:12:21 AM

2. Well, his behavior may be a little out of the ordinary, but as long as he doesn't try to impose his belief system on me or be a bigot, good for him if it makes him happy! I have no problem whatsoever with religious people. I know quite a few who are very devout and very gay friendly and loving. The wacko people are the ones who manipulate religion to make a quick buck by appealing to bigots and hate. It is unfortunate that the haters are the ones who get all the press. They are giving religion a bad name. P.S. I'm an atheist.

Posted by: MikeH | Nov 23, 2011 9:25:04 AM

3. Ohh we can see WHERE this is going! When Nitwit T-Bo retires, or is forced to via Injury, then a quick course on the internet in Theology,get a parstor certificate and .....Wa-Laaa INSTANT PREACHER for Jesus....Dollars to Doughnuts, he turns this into a $$$$ making scam, and the sheeple will eat it right up.

Posted by: Gay American | Nov 23, 2011 9:25:32 AM

4. He's probably trying to take the focus away from his lousy performance these days, but it's not working. Fans are noticing and we want him to improve his relationship with football or get off the effing field.

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 23, 2011 9:25:45 AM

5. Oh, Andy, you are just so clever! I get the joke: Tim Tebow is cheating on his wife (?) because he loves Jesus more than he loves her! How hilarious! You know, Tim Tebow is such a difficult person to make fun of, but you found his weakness. Your post was just so funny: you really do have a sophisticated, droll sense of humor! Maybe you sould tell jokes for a living! You know, I think that there are lots of retirement homes down in Florida where people would enjoy hearing your witty and sarcastic comments. You could be the next Don Rickles if you tried hard enough!

Posted by: TANK | Nov 23, 2011 9:26:34 AM

6. " You could be the next Don Rickles if you tried hard enough!"

No, that spot is already taken...and we who've read Towleroad for atleast the last 3 years know by whom.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 23, 2011 9:30:35 AM

7. @DE WRECK FROM PHILLY: I assume you meant to say, "that spot has already been taken," girlfriend? Otherwise your sentence doesn't make sense. But don't put yourself down like that, honey! There are a lot of pathetic, bitter, middle-aged queens around here who resemble Don Rickles much more closely than you do! You're more like Towleroad's Norm Crosby!

Posted by: TANK | Nov 23, 2011 9:39:25 AM

8. Tebow is borderline delusional. I hope Jesus doesn't tell him to kill people or blow up things.

Posted by: QJ201 | Nov 23, 2011 9:44:12 AM

9. If somebody said in every interview "I love my wife" people would find it odd and we propaply would soon find out that they are cheating their wife or that they gay.

So, how can you cheat Jesus?

Posted by: Just me | Nov 23, 2011 9:47:55 AM

10. You can't compare Jesus to Ennis or Jack just because you don't agree with Tim Tebow's albeit over-the-top love of Christ.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Nov 23, 2011 9:49:28 AM

11. i'm not sure about delusional, but it does have certain aspects of obsessive-compulsive behavior; plus some poor self-confidence issues...

Posted by: mike/ | Nov 23, 2011 9:50:42 AM

12. Another creepy Christian. Someone needs to tell this guy that there is a difference between following Jesus & stalking him.

Posted by: DearComrade | Nov 23, 2011 9:53:00 AM

13. I've noticed that the people who are constantly talking about how wonderful their religion is, and how much they love their god, in general have very little actual faith. In addition, Tebow is violating his own god's instructions with his constant public prayer.

Matthew 6:5-6 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Posted by: Rich F. | Nov 23, 2011 9:53:34 AM

14. People who profess their love for fictional characters over and over again are just plain weird.

Posted by: homer | Nov 23, 2011 9:55:34 AM

15. Love God however you wish but your relationship with God is not a spectator sport.

Posted by: Joey | Nov 23, 2011 9:57:49 AM

16. Tebow overlooks the admonition by his Beloved
    that it's most proper to pray privately and not make a big public deal of it, like the Pharisees did. Proclaiming the Good News does not require constant yammering. Maybe T misunderstands that the faithful are known by how fruity they seem.

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 23, 2011 9:59:06 AM

17. Of course, Jesus DID make it clear that he wasn't in the Family Values camp, admitting that he was ready to tear husbands from wives and children from parents. Maybe Tebow should commit fully and leave his wife.

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 23, 2011 10:00:56 AM

18. This young man is seriously messed up. It is blatantly obvious where this is all going to end.

Posted by: enough already | Nov 23, 2011 10:04:11 AM

19. "Well, his behavior may be a little out of the ordinary, but as long as he doesn't try to impose his belief system on me or be a bigot, good for him if it makes him happy!"

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I do find the obsession over him rather bizarre. I thought Tulloch tebowing after the sack was pretty damn funny, but there's a certain viciousness to attacks on him as a person, and until he makes an actual anti-gay comment, I don't see the point. Until then, he's just another insecure person who feels he needs the crutch that religion provides.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 23, 2011 10:07:33 AM

20. Jesus would not be happy with Tim Tebow...

Posted by: Tre | Nov 23, 2011 10:08:54 AM

21. Annoying but if my life went that perfectly and then I grew up and got paid millions of dollars to play mediocre football I'd be in love with Jesus too.

Posted by: MKe | Nov 23, 2011 10:09:37 AM

22. So basically he's REALLY gay for Jesus.

Posted by: rovex | Nov 23, 2011 10:10:59 AM

23. Tank what is your glitch?

Posted by: Frank | Nov 23, 2011 10:11:15 AM

24. Well, I know that a bunch of you catty queens are going to clobber me for saying this, but I just wonder how many of you Tebow bashers would slam the door in Tebow's face if he showed up at your door ready for action, with that big muscular body all oiled up, and wearing only a black leather thong and a dog collar with silver studs? You pathetic bitches would bang that till the cows came home, or vice versa! Hey, I have to keep it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | Nov 23, 2011 10:17:05 AM

25. Thanks, Tank, for sharing one of your particular fantasies. It's frequently interesting to know what gets somebody's juices flowing.

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 23, 2011 10:21:18 AM