George Michael | News

BigGayDeal.com

George Michael Gives Emotional Statement Outside London Home, Says He Almost Died from Pneumonia: VIDEO

Michael

An out-of-breath, emotional and physically fragile George Michael gave a brief press conference outside his London home today to speak about the pneumonia that almost killed him and explain to fans and the press why he tried to keep it quiet.

Said Michael: "It was by far the worst month of my life, but I am incredibly, incredibly fortunate to be here – and to have picked up the bug where I did...I got streptococca-something … It's a form of pneumonia and they spent three weeks keeping me alive basically."

Michael thanked all the fans who sent him support and the medical staff that kept him alive.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Happy he's doing better!!! Stay strong George!! Make it a great comeback!!

Posted by: Josh | Dec 23, 2011 11:44:41 AM

2. bizarre....I was just listening to "Jesus to a Child" when Andy tweeted this.

Merry Christmas. My boyfriend is cooking me a tube steak for lunch, and I'm going to suck that down now, so gotta run.....

Posted by: Alan | Dec 23, 2011 11:50:26 AM

3. God bless him. He's a wonderful artist and he didn't deserve to die so soon. What a moving heartfelt statement.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 23, 2011 12:52:11 PM

4. Thankfully he didn't have to read the horrifying comments on this blog from the bitter ones.

Posted by: matt | Dec 23, 2011 2:05:21 PM

5. F--you, Alan. Merry Christmas.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 23, 2011 2:29:38 PM

6. So basically, AIDS?

Posted by: Your Momma | Dec 23, 2011 2:42:07 PM

7. So glad he's recovering. An experience like this can be extremely humbling. Maybe he'll take better care of himself, or at least not put himself at risk by getting behind a wheel after he's had drinks or weed.

btw Jesus to a Child is one of my favorite songs. George is without a doubt one of the most gifted song writers of my generation.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 23, 2011 3:13:54 PM

8. I would wager it was PCP. I hope it doesn't come back.

Posted by: Bakeley | Dec 23, 2011 4:14:02 PM

9. I LOVE THE GEORGE!!!!!! Cheers!

Posted by: Um...Ew | Dec 23, 2011 4:49:29 PM

10. I find it odd that he doesn't know the name of the disease that nearly killed him, no matter how exhausted he is.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 23, 2011 5:28:07 PM

11. Okay. how about a few facts for the masses of ignorance listed in above comments. PCP infection (fungal), a secondary infection to someone who is immunosuppressed (HIV), is a completely different infectious agent from streptococcal pneumonia (bacterial). Both of these infections can lead to weeks on ventilator support and close encounters with death. And if Mr. Michael was sharing accurate medical history, he hasn't forgotten anything. He stated exactly what he had. The fact that people would leap to inaccurate and uninformed conclusions only goes to support the ignorance and misinformation which our world is filled with. Educate yourselves, peeps !

Posted by: SonomaBill | Dec 23, 2011 9:52:50 PM

12. "He hasn't forgotten anything." Really? So the doctors said, "We're sorry to inform you that you have streptococca-something?"

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 23, 2011 10:04:37 PM

13. God, there are some pricks on here.

Posted by: ger | Dec 23, 2011 11:24:06 PM

14. @ Ger ... truer words were never spoken. I should've known I'd be better off saving my breath rather than have some fanciful idea that perhaps I could impart a little knowledge on the public at large. I guess I'll just go back to saving lives in my day job and leave Karma to have her way with the rest of them.....

Posted by: SonomaBill | Dec 23, 2011 11:36:57 PM

15. To end that lowlife, pathetic comment with a smiley is beyond "precious".

Why it's even allowed to stay on Towleroad is mind-boggling...

Posted by: DeeperStill | Dec 24, 2011 3:34:04 AM

16. Internalized homophobia is even more insidious than HIV.

Posted by: CarlottaVonFunkenhowzer | Dec 24, 2011 9:39:25 AM

17. What business is it of ours what disease he has suffered from ? People get pneumonia all the time and no one raises the spectre of AIDS. I hope he gets well soon - he has more issues than just suffering from pneumonia.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 24, 2011 10:56:38 AM

18. Very touching speech by George Michael. Thank you for posting it.

Posted by: fern | Dec 24, 2011 7:14:16 PM

19. "Fast Love" is still his best song ever.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Dec 25, 2011 7:36:33 AM

20. I'd be dying from that terrible haircut....

Posted by: Jack | Dec 29, 2011 12:18:02 AM