Chris Matthews | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Chris Matthews Speaks with Booed Gay Soldier Stephen Hill: VIDEO

Hill

On Hardball last night as part of his look back on 2011, Chris Matthews did a follow-up interview with Stephen Hill, the gay soldier who was booed earlier this year in the GOP debate.

Hill talks about his reactions to the booing, why he asked the question, and talks about having to 'de-gay' his house when fellow soldiers came over before repeal of 'DADT'. Hill says that the experience post-repeal has been "100% positive".

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Fine young man, good values, articulate, well-groomed.....and with a masculine demeanor.

See how easy it is?

Posted by: Rick | Dec 15, 2011 11:04:32 AM

2. I admire this guy. He managed to get in mention of his husband,called out Baldasaro, called shame on the people who booed him and cheered Santorum. Too bad Chris didn't give him a chance to finish off the segment.

Posted by: v | Dec 15, 2011 11:07:40 AM

3. Yeah... and with the balls to live his life out of the closet. Unlike you RICK. And guess what, no matter how well-groomed and masculine he is, tons of straight people will never accept him, simply because he's gay. Which throws your straight/gay utopia without women right out the window.

Not everyone is the same, so stop trying to have them conform to your ideal of what a man should be. It is not genetics or inborn in us to act and carry ourselves in the same way.

And you speak like a true closet case out of touch with the real gay world. This twisted, skewed idea that all gay men are prancing fairies in feather boas and heels. That is a minority in the gay world. If you actually left your house, you would see that most gay men look, dress and act fairly normal. Your only contact with gay men are highlight reels from gay pride parades on youtube.

Your misogynistic and digusting posts continue to reveal your true nature. Sad, lonely, bitter and in complete denial regarding all reality. But you'll probably take your anger/self-hatred to the grave. While all the men you deem sissies live out and proud with true courage.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Dec 15, 2011 11:45:52 AM

4. Yes Rick, Being yourself is easy. What is difficult is trying to be straight, because that is not who he is.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Dec 15, 2011 12:31:20 PM

5. RICK, if it's so easy then why aren't YOU Out?

Seriously. Why haven't you posted the URL to your own page or youtube video where you show us all what a strong masculine gay role model you claim to be?

it's as easy as copy=and-paste.

*ahem*

Here's the thing with LGBT people serving openly in the military - it pisses off the bigoted Conservatives who want to claim to "Support the Troops" because it means that they're "forced" to support and acknowledge the hard work of LGBT people.

they don't want to do that. they want to hate gays AND support the troops, and by allowing lGBT people to serve openly it forces them to accept the reality that the people they want to support do indeed include US.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 12:41:20 PM

6. What's your point, Rick?

Just like so many trolls that have come and gone on Towleroad, you too will scab over and disappear into the forgotteness of nobody cares land.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Dec 15, 2011 12:52:23 PM

7. And Santorum never served one day in the military let alone volunteered and I suspect not one of his kids will either.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Dec 15, 2011 12:57:52 PM

8. PLEASE stop engaging with the troll! It only makes him giggle. Probably a high-pitched, girly giggle that he then punches himself in the nuts for doing because he's so ashamed.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 15, 2011 1:03:12 PM

9. I'm out at work and with my family and friends and I see nothing wrong with RICK's statement. I think its fine in the context he inferred. Quit getting worked up about trivial nonsense, stick with the facts and not what you think he implied.... and put your pinkies down. Sheesh!

Posted by: Jason | Dec 15, 2011 1:22:43 PM

10. sure "Jason"
    where's your link to your own page/video? oh right. you'd never be able to give one. it sure is easier complaining from the Coward's Closet, eh? ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 1:31:13 PM

11. @LITTLE KIWI:
    I agree with RICK and JASON.

I am a man who likes men.

I am out, even in my work. Every seminar I give, when I introduce myself, I talk about my partner Michael.

I understand some of my clients may not be comfortable with my sexual orientation, so I don't make a point to rub it in their faces. My sexual orientation is completely irrelevant to my work, and I think it's great that none of my clients seems to care about my sexual orientation. It's not very interesting, but here's my work-related website: www.mwxc.com

Posted by: Chris | Dec 15, 2011 2:09:07 PM

12. The repeal of DADT is supported by more than half the public, so this issue will disappear after the nomination process is over. RS himself wouldn't be bothered to risk a losing vote in Congress over this issue in the off chance he's elected.

Posted by: anon | Dec 15, 2011 2:19:55 PM

13. "I understand some of my clients may not be comfortable with my sexual orientation, so I don't make a point to rub it in their faces."

That's Closet-speak. What, SPECIFICALLY, do you mean by "rubbing it in their faces?"

I've been fully 100% Out to everyone, since i was a teen in high school. there's no "rubbing anything in anyone's faces" and I'd like to you explain exactly what you mean, with specifics.

Thank you for your impossibly-boring weather website. Now, can you point to the very specific pro-LGBT Equality work you are doing as a Publicly Out And Masculine Gay Man?

Because you know dude, despite the fact that you are Visibly Gay, there isn't a single mention of you being gay on your site.

funny, that. in trying to prove me wrong you effectively proved me right.

so thanks :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 2:23:33 PM

14. I'm very aware that some people take issue with MY Sexual Orientation - So I make it a point to be Out, visibly and vocally as not only a gay man, but as a human being deserving of equality.

that's the difference between me and guys like you, jason and rick.

you're still apologizing for being gay, because you seek approval like a coward. i left that nonsense behind when i left adolescence.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 2:27:14 PM

15. "I understand some of my clients may not be comfortable with my sexual orientation, so I don't make a point to rub it in their faces. My sexual orientation is completely irrelevant to my work, and I think it's great that none of my clients seems to care about my sexual orientation"

Two contradictory statements that prove me right and prove you wrong.

in one breath "none of them" seem to care and in the same breath you state that Some of them do, so you downplay it, hide it and apologize for it.

this is what guys you you don't realize - you make gays look like wimps. you know they won't like it, so you cut your own balls off so as "not to offend them" - meaning they only tolerate you if you show wimpy subservience to them.

cowardly.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 2:29:59 PM

16. Kiwi, I can't speak for other conservatives, but I have nothing but respect for LGBT people who serve in my country's military. People have to keep in mind that the purpose of the military is the protection of the nation, and that the military is not a democracy. There is no "right" to be in the military, despite the virtue of wanting to serve one's nation. People are turned away from the military for a variety of reasons if they are deemed unsuitable. We will have to give it a few years to see if this experiment works. I'm more optimistic here than I am on gay marriage, though.

But those who oppose gays serving openly in the military could at least be polite to LGBT servicemembers. Although I don't think the audience was booing this soldier as a human being (just the repeal of DADT) Santorum might have at least shown more tact and acknowledged the man's patriotism and good intentions. I would have.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 15, 2011 2:50:16 PM

17. @ LITTLE KIWI

See page: http://mwxc.com/chris_parker.php

Here's a quote from that page:
    "I lived aboard full-time for 12 years with my partner Michael Zidziunas and Wizard the cat"

What I mean by "rubbing it in their faces?":
    I think it's important that whenever my living situation is relevant, my clients know I'm gay and happily-partnered...but most of the time my being gay is irrelevant.

In my opinion, referring to my sexuality when it is not relevant would be:

1. seeking approval (I don't need approval from anyone to be gay)

2. unproductive, as it might cause a few clients to cease employing my service

No one's interests would be served if I made a public announcement to all my clients that: "If you don't like the fact that I'm gay, please stop using my service".

I can be open about who I am, without making my irrelevant sexuality foremost in my client's minds when we interact.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 15, 2011 2:52:44 PM

18. @KIWI...as usual, you're right about all this and I commend you for speaking out and being fully out. Unfortunately, as much as I resent Rick's subtle implications...he's just not in the same place you are with his sexual identity. Still using masculine/feminine to make value judgements is evidence that he's still on a long hard journey...and you're miles ahead of him.
    We're all relatively new to this self-discovery...and at times we take one forward and two back. But, as a good friend once said..."all in good time my little pretty". Keep up the good work KIWI !

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 15, 2011 2:54:54 PM

19. you are seeking approval because you're selectively HIDING from people whom you're afraid of.

yes. you've proven me right yet again. you Hide It because you know you'll lose business from bigots, and don't have the integrity or balls to live openly and thus change hearts and minds.

only people who are fully Out to everyone can claim that their sexual orientation is "irrelevant" - that you still choose to hide it thus proves that to you it is indeed very relevant indeed.

actually, everyone's interests would be better served if you'd just man up already and live Out, to everyone. it puts a face and name to who we are. you having a case of Gayface doesn't cut it.

You're still giving excuses for hiding and living a semi-Closeted existence. that's not terribly "manly" - that's the domain of insecure boys.

And Mary, Canada has allowed its LGBT citizens to serve openly in our military since 1992. it's worked just fine for twenty years.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 2:59:51 PM

20. Very intelligent and articulate man still disgusts me how he was booed.

Secondly Rick that is a ridiculous comment considering that the gay community consists of all different kinds of human beings some more masculine some more feminine all human beings makes no difference either way.

There is no such thing as a masculine demeanor either you just made that up period.

I suggest you not hate yourself because there is nothing wrong with being masculine or feminine... there is however something wrong when either bullies each other for being either one of those.

Posted by: Kenny | Dec 15, 2011 3:01:31 PM

21. Another example of narcissists pretending to be martyrs. LITTLE KIWI, go post another picture of yourself on your blog and go away already. ;)

Posted by: Jason | Dec 15, 2011 3:06:01 PM

22. I'll go one better, "Jason" - here's a photo of my father and I and his words of support for the LGBT Community.

Care to do the same? Oh...wait....right ;-)

It's not my fault your father won't do the same for you. You should be thanking my father and I for doing the work yours won't do, thus ensuring that future generations won't have fathers like yours.

you're welcome, btw ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 3:16:21 PM

23. http://littlekiwilovesbauhaus.blogspot.com/2011/04/fathers-message.html

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 15, 2011 3:21:56 PM

24. Here's my take: Some straight guys are effeminate. Fine. Some gay guys are effeminate. Fine. I'm just not sure why so many gay guys feel they need to act more-effeminate than they really are - that's what's a turn-off to me...acting more effeminate than you really are.

@Chris in response: Well did you ever think that they are just proud of who they are as human beings? Ive seen plenty of feminine gay guys who have posted videos on YT and so many of them are so happy peppy full of life and love themselves.I think thats awesome I never will understand why some macho gay guys think they can demean others just because they may not be as feminine as some gay guys can be.Theres nothing wrong with that period.

What turns me off are guys who are gay who hide who act WAYY too masculine which is a sign of not only insecurity but also ego and those who mock bully and put down those who are not as masculine as they claim to be.Its ridiculous.

Posted by: Kenny | Dec 15, 2011 3:25:08 PM

25. @ LITTLE KIWI:
    Our differences may come down to how important we feel being Gay is.

For me, being gay is incidental. Many things are more important to me (like maximizing my income, and helping all of my clients, whether they're comfortable with my homosexuality YET or not).

That does not make me semi-closeted.

You and I are both openly gay. Only one of us is militant.

Someone needs to take the bigots' money, so it might as well be me.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 15, 2011 3:31:58 PM