Montenegro | News | Sports

Male Eastern European Sports Fans Kiss in Anti-Homophobia Ad: VIDEO

Itsok

"It's OK to be different" is the message of this anti-homophobia sports fan-focused PSA reportedly running in Montenegro.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via ed kennedy at afterelton)

Comments

1. No, it should be considered "normal" not "different", okay or not.

Posted by: anon | Dec 22, 2011 5:47:11 PM

2. @ANON: Let's start a new campaign. "Different is normal." "Down with homogeneity." (Actually, I like the first one more.)

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Dec 22, 2011 6:14:58 PM

3. different is not the opposite of normal, so there's no contradiction imho

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Dec 22, 2011 6:18:52 PM

4. As a neuropathologist once told me when we were discussing human brains: there is no "normal", only average.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 22, 2011 6:23:01 PM

5. I would have thought this usage of different stems from the slogan of "All Different, All Equal" used by the Council of Europe. Don't get people started on the meaning of 'normal'... so fraught!

Posted by: SeanR | Dec 22, 2011 6:40:08 PM

6. This ad is actually quite homophobic. We're normal, not different. Can't towleroad see this?

Posted by: david | Dec 22, 2011 6:54:07 PM

7. At the end it said that the Canadian International Development Agency was involved in the production of that. Once again, so very proud of my country!

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 22, 2011 6:58:35 PM

8. That's Rad!

Posted by: MoJo | Dec 22, 2011 6:59:39 PM

9. Different/normal = either way this is a huge step for any former Yugoslav country. I was in Montenegro last February and it is an amazingly beautiful country that deserves more attention.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 22, 2011 7:04:35 PM

10. HA! Of course they're Arsenal fans! ;)

Posted by: Chris | Dec 22, 2011 7:26:37 PM

11. "All different, all equal" is the slogan of the Council of Europe. When the word "different" is used that way, it refers to people being different from each other, not to a minority being different from the majority. I think you need more information before you can assume bigoted intent. I'm not even sure if there is a complete one-to-one correspondence between the English and Serbian words.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 22, 2011 7:39:17 PM

12. "We're normal, not different."

@David:
    "Different" is not a negatively-charged word and it's accurately uced here. "Normal" is not necessarily positive or negative, either.

I am different from my heterosexual brother and he is different from me. Homosexuality is not the norm in the world, left-handers are not the norm, talented athletes are not the norm and geniuses are not the norm. We are all "different" and difference can be wonderful.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 22, 2011 7:51:41 PM

13. Previous commenters are right, and furthermore the "it's OK to be different" line, which I immediately associated with the Council of Europe's "all different, all equal," which has been around some 15 years, is not even in the video.

The video itself only says "We're part of the team."

Please explain how that could possibly be homophobic?? Homophobia looks quite different, and we saw it this past summer just up the coast from Montenegro in Split.

Oh, and this has been out for at least a month on Balkan social media :-)

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 22, 2011 8:05:18 PM

14. Yeah, that is definitely gonna decrease those countries' homophobia.

Posted by: HoHo | Dec 22, 2011 9:02:01 PM

15. 'different' is fine by me. if there's no difference, then there would no need for terms like gay vs. straight.

Posted by: redball | Dec 22, 2011 9:10:18 PM

16. Normal is in the eye of the beholder.

Posted by: Edd | Dec 22, 2011 9:49:43 PM

17. we are normal we are different.... whatever !!!! i like the PSA and the music too ...oh and the kiss of course very cute!!!

Posted by: xael | Dec 22, 2011 10:15:16 PM

18. I suppose this is a big step in the right direction for Monte Negro. Too bad though the two guys kissing on the video had to actually flee Podgorica (the capital)and hide in fear for their own safety.

Posted by: Yiannis | Dec 23, 2011 4:00:33 AM

19. As a gay man, I would like to be kissed by a handsome bearded Slavic man! Some Slavic men are boyishly handsome, very sexy and their facial hair is a turn on.
    I see masculine beauty, sexiness, lots of male comradery, exuberance, celebration, vitality, being human, good cheer, merriment in this video. These young men love each other's company and are right to celebrate each other and to enjoy their youth. Life is serious enough. I am all for this video. Thumbs up!

Posted by: Mousemess | Dec 23, 2011 4:22:16 AM

20. Mousemess I heart you.

Posted by: Christopher | Dec 23, 2011 4:36:16 AM

21. Let's all "Like" the video... A lot of people have "Dislike"d it (58%) so lets turn the tide!

Posted by: Chris | Dec 23, 2011 5:17:47 AM

22. Agree with Chris: most Youtube people have disliked the clip...let's turn the tide!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Dec 23, 2011 8:06:00 AM

23. There isn't much spoken in the ad, and I believe the ad text correctly translates as "We are part of the team" (as the video title itself suggests).

Where did this different/normal debate come from?

Posted by: Randy | Dec 23, 2011 1:46:30 PM

24. i lived in Croatia, and this is a big step for that country. Next door in Serbia they can't even have a pride parade in fear of violence. The normal/different debate is distracting..this is a landmark ad for this region

Posted by: Astro | Dec 23, 2011 2:19:38 PM