New Jersey | News | Republican Party

Medford, NJ Republican Mayor Chris Myers Resigns, Two Months After Rentboy Scandal

Medford, NJ Republican Mayor Chris Myers resigned yesterday, a month after he was exposed by a man who claimed Myers paid him for sex, the Courier Post reports:

MyersAn anonymous person, claiming to be a male escort, launched a website in early October with photos allegedly depicting Myers in his underwear in a California hotel room. The website also showed alleged pictures of Myers’ open wallet and mayoral ID card. The site has been inaccessible since Oct. 21.

The alleged escort claims Myers, the married father of two, paid $500 for sex, but did not provide him a car and other promised gifts.

Myers has claimed that he was out of town when the alleged encounter took place, in October 2010, and on November 3 publicly denied the allegations at a City Council meeting.

In announcing his resignation, Myers said he felt “it’s time to pass the baton, and allow others to take the reins.” In a prepared comment, Myers said he was “looking forward to leaving the public arena and enjoying the next chapter of my life with the most wonderful family and friends any one could ask for.”

The paper reports that Myers has only attended one meeting since the story broke in October.

One of the photos of Myers posted by the alleged escort, AFTER THE JUMP...

Photo_myers

Comments

1. "What you do in the dark always comes out in the light of day."

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Dec 6, 2011 11:19:49 AM

2. I'm kinda disappointed to say that I would hit it.

But anyways, that's a good snitch to blow up his spot like that. Setting up a web site. That's not your basic jumpoff move.

Posted by: new-new | Dec 6, 2011 11:21:55 AM

3. That hooker has to be the dumbest kid in America. He really thought that the john he met once was going to give him a car and lots of other gifts?

Posted by: ChicagoR | Dec 6, 2011 11:25:49 AM

4. Not a good look.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Dec 6, 2011 11:35:59 AM

5. Some thoughts:

Those underwear are ghastly.

Prostitution is not necessarily a victimless crime (Myers has lost a lot and I wonder if his family and friends will forgive him his deceptions).

Prostitution is degrading to everyone involved.

If this can happen to a John in Newport Beach, it can happen anywhere.

Posted by: Fahd | Dec 6, 2011 11:38:15 AM

6. I am sure his wife and kids are so proud.

Posted by: Bubba | Dec 6, 2011 12:16:10 PM

7. @ChicagoR - It's actually more common than you think. This government official is really the dumb one here.

Focus.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Dec 6, 2011 12:38:08 PM

8. um...I'd hit it.

Posted by: Willie | Dec 6, 2011 12:54:35 PM

9. When these stories of gay closeted Republicans come out I always hear a sound track playing in my head, "And another one's down, another one's down, another one bites the dust."

Catchy tune, can't remember whose it is though. Could be a theme song for GOProud, ha.

Posted by: jaime jones | Dec 6, 2011 12:59:21 PM

10. @FAHD: Prostitution is not necessarily degrading to all those involved. If it involves consenting adults and one is willing to pay the other for sexual services, then it is a mutually-agreed contract. Promises are optional and if you were told you were going to get a car, it's time to draw up a contract. Otherwise, prostitution is as good a way to earn money as any other. It's free-market economics. I got something you want to pay for.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 6, 2011 1:11:34 PM

11. Medford is extremely small. South Jersey is mostly farms and senior citizens.

Posted by: anon | Dec 6, 2011 1:23:04 PM

12. @Hollywood: I agree that the legislator is an idiot (and that he had the most to lose). But the hooker believed he had an enforceable contract because the guy promised him a car after having sex once. That's really stupid.

And I agree with Jamal49 that prostitution isn't necessarily degrading to all involved. We're all selling something; it's just a matter of what and the form of payment.

Posted by: ChicagoR | Dec 6, 2011 1:28:10 PM

13. One cannot enter into a legally binding contract for illegal activities.

Prostitution objectifies the other and degrades both involved.

No doubt, men will still pay for it as they always have, and younger men will still see it as easy money, especially with the opportunities for casual prostitution so rampant in the internet age.

However, no amount of sugarcoating or libertarian claptrap can change that those who participate in money for sex arrangements are diminished in their humanity.

I will defend anyone's right to have a different opinion.

Posted by: Fahd | Dec 6, 2011 1:37:38 PM

14. I could see paying a prostitute $500, but a car? Seems fishy. Unless it was a longterm, ongoing thing? Might even be that he tried to extort a car and went public when it didn't pan out.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Dec 6, 2011 1:44:56 PM

15. @Fahd: I defend your right to your opinion, but I can't agree with it in the slightest. I've had plenty of friends who either paid for sex or got paid for it, and in no way were they "diminished in their humanity." They just exchanged money for sex, period.

Posted by: ChicagoR | Dec 6, 2011 1:46:44 PM

16. The REAL scandal is that he used "it’s time to pass the baton" AND "allow others to take the reins” in the same sentence. It's not just his sexuality that's mixed and his pose that's cliché.

Posted by: SRB | Dec 6, 2011 2:23:09 PM

17. Prostitution, like eating meat, is a choice. Vegans can say all they want about meat is murder etc.. But it isn't to me; so it isn't to me. Prostitution may be a victimFUL crime to YOU but it isn't to me; so it isn't to me.

I have mixed feeling on this one. Shred those that work against us - other than being a rethug I am unaware that he worked against us. Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Posted by: Allen | Dec 6, 2011 2:36:00 PM

18. @FAHD -- Nope. Sorry. There certainly ARE those who are "diminished in their humanity" by prostitution -- particularly those who are compelled to work as prostitutes because they feel they have no other options. And I accept that, in our society, that group may constitute the lion's share of those engaging in prostitution. In addition, the common Western anti-sexual conventions may make prostitution a "degrading" choice for many.

But you must realize that there are also many men and women who feel comfortable with their sexual/physical selves in a way in which selling their sexual services (or buying them from others) is NOT something with which they feel uncomfortable or that they find degrading.

Human experience is vast. It is wrong of you to assume that what you might feel about something, no matter how strongly, can be projected onto everyone else. That is the kind of mistake that leads to bigotry -- believing that your disgust or discomfort with something is an absolute rule that must be adopted by all other reasonable people.

Posted by: buster | Dec 6, 2011 2:37:42 PM

19. As a mixed metaphor, "it’s time to pass the baton" AND "allow others to take the reins” could work if the person or persons involved are majorettes on horseback in a relay race.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Dec 6, 2011 2:44:09 PM

20. @ Jamie The song in question was by Queen with the great Freddy Mercury.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 6, 2011 4:19:09 PM

21. How these comments turned into a debate on prostitution instead of Republican hypocracy is strange, but...

I have to agree with Buster that, while some who are forced, for whatever reason, and in whatever role, to turn to prostitution may be diminished by it, those who choose freely to participate in it are not.

Now, the Mayor may have felt forced by the closet to participate, and he is certainly diminished by it now.

Posted by: Mother | Dec 6, 2011 8:58:53 PM

22. id hit it, knowing that a repressed man will do anything in the sack - piggy piggy

Posted by: downtownlaguy47 | Dec 6, 2011 9:05:39 PM

23. Undoubtedly there are a few Happy Hustlers out there, and there's that Gigolos show on Showtime where everyone is cool; Sure, maybe there's no real harm in a college boy letting someone casually blow him for some pocket money, but to me there's an issue of self-respect and respect for the other.

My sense of it is that the vast majority of men who sell themselves on a steady basis need money for drugs. Prostitution is part of the addiction. There's also the homeless or neglected youth who have no choice, and while men don't usually have obvious pimps turning them out, I believe you could find instances of this is most major cities in the world.

On the other side, a man like Myers believes he can't get what he really wants any other way (he's pretty gross so it may be true), or that there's something bad about what he really wants so he has to travel across the country and hire a rentboy. What does that say about his opinion of himself and his self-respect? What does it say about the man he's using and who is using him?

I have nothing against anonymous promiscuity (safe sex), I have nothing against monogamous sex based on long-term fidelity and intimacy or really any kind of sex in between. I'm as libertarian as the next fellow when it comes to sex.

Prostitution though is not about sex its about power.

I know its different on a lot of TV shows and you probably have a friend who is a very happy hustler or you yourself have hired rentboys for years without any consequences of any kind. There's an exception to every rule, and one cannot generalize, but I am relating my opinion based on my reading and experience.

Posted by: Fahd | Dec 6, 2011 9:42:21 PM

24. you know I'm beginning to believe that if we just set up a bunch of rentboys for Republicans we could definitely change the whole balance of government in America.

Posted by: Dan Skinner | Dec 7, 2011 2:51:42 AM

25. Have you notice, that most Republicans caught with their pants down are not so good looking.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that, but chances are if they were cute...they would
    be openly gay and Democrats!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacherj | Dec 7, 2011 3:07:14 AM