Baptist | News | North Carolina

NC Baptist Leader Hopes That Marriage Will Be Kept Away from Gay 'Sinners' in a 'Civil' Manner

Rev. Mark Harris, leader of North Carolina's Baptist Church, says he wants a "civil" debate on marriage, the Charlotte Observer reports:

Harris"Over the next several months, I am going to stress that this is an opportunity for the church to celebrate marriage and its biblical foundation - rather than talking about something we're against," he said.

"From a biblical position, all I can do is state my position: I believe that homosexuality is a sin ... That said, I don't believe that that position is at the heart of this amendment. If homosexuals choose to maintain a relationship and live together, that's their business. I don't believe people should be discriminated against."

Same-sex marriages, he said, aren't good for children. "I just believe that marriage between a man and a woman is ideal," he said. "It is such a unique union, and it is absolutely essential to the future of humanity."

Harris was elected to lead the North Carolina chapter in November.

Comments

1. Gay face.

Posted by: Kent | Dec 27, 2011 6:21:43 PM

2. Just another reason, why I drive thru , but NEVER spend any $$ in that state, NC has some beautifull natural areas, nat'l parks,etc, but NO WAAAY is it gettin any of my $$..Rev Mark is a perfect example of 'why'.....but i MUST ADMIT...that old 'bread truck' you live in??? well, its kinda kewl

Posted by: codyj | Dec 27, 2011 6:23:03 PM

3. he is, of course, a complete idiot. but by his own logic he should be opposing all the Jewish and non-Christian marriages in America.

truly.

gay marriages do not harm children. homosexuality has, at no point in history, ever torn any families apart.
    in contrast, anti-gay sentiment tears apart families daily.

something for this small-minded bigot to ponder.

and marriage has absolutely nothing to do with the "future of humanity" - grace, understanding and the acceptance of diversity, however, have everything to do with the future of humanity.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 27, 2011 6:23:45 PM

4. These religous nut-jobs are always harping on "the children". Last time I checked raising children was not a pre-requisite to enter into marriage. They use it as a red-herring to make all of their followers feel warm and fuzzy about denying civil rights to gay people. Ass Holes, all of them!

Posted by: David | Dec 27, 2011 6:39:15 PM

5. I will give you odds his father was opposed to interracial marriage and quoted some bible verse to justify his opposition.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Dec 27, 2011 6:52:51 PM

6. These anti-gay people are always calling for a civil debate about our freedoms. Imagine if gay people were to debate heterosexual men's rights to marry. There would be riots on the streets and guns everywhere.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 27, 2011 6:55:51 PM

7. "We need to have a civil discussion about how I want to trample your civil rights into the dust. Now while we discuss me trampling your civil rights I want to remind you that you need to keep a civil tongue in your head". Ok Reverend, I will be civil while calling you a liar, liar, pants on fire you ignorant phuck! Can you give references for your beliefs about children being better off in a straight household than a gay one. I can quote studies which show your opinions to be not true and your are still an ignorant phuck if you think that gay people are going to quietly allow you to run over them in your quest to get your way with the marriage laws of North Carolina. Is that civil enough for you?

Posted by: vanndean | Dec 27, 2011 6:56:15 PM

8. ""It is such a unique union, and it is absolutely essential to the future of humanity."

Yup...it's so unique that some heterosexuals choose to have these unions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, times or more. Just ask Larry King...or Newt Gingrich.

Posted by: Taylor | Dec 27, 2011 6:56:47 PM

9. Boycott NC and all Baptists. Give 'em nuttin!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 27, 2011 7:21:17 PM

10. But other sinners ARE allowed to marry. Why not us? Even people who aren't very good parents -- STRAIGHT people who aren't very good parents -- are allowed to marry and raise children.

You know, according to Christian theology "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God," so if civil law is based on whether or not a person is a sinner, then NO ONE can get married.

I just don't understand how some sinners get to be married while others don't. That just doesn't seem fair!

Posted by: james | Dec 27, 2011 7:22:13 PM

11. marriage is such a unique union that 90% of americans enter into it!

sorry, dear, gay couples are more unique than that, more unique than you can ever hope to be!

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 27, 2011 7:33:36 PM

12. He says he doesn't believe people should be discriminated against, but he just made a discriminatory statement one sentence before that. Wack job.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 27, 2011 7:42:29 PM

13. Why can't they keep their religious noses out of the debate on civil marriage ? I'm asking for State recognition not Church recognition.

Posted by: Robert | Dec 27, 2011 7:48:53 PM

14. Marriage between a man and a woman is ideal if you happen to be heterosexual like 90 % of people are and will continue to be even if we do grow up in the U.S.A. and have marriage equality. Oh and the what about the children jargon is NOT backed up by science.
    It is just the assumption. What is backed up is children being in loving homes.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Dec 27, 2011 8:07:13 PM

15. Oh and why should we be civil when you want to treat us like second class citizens ? And do it in the name of your interpretation of what you think God wants? Some people do not even believe in God or like myself thinks God has way more understanding of human sexuality than you do....

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Dec 27, 2011 8:10:33 PM

16. I would say a majority of children w/ same sex parents become normal productive members of society just like their parents. The breeders are destroying their own marriages, maybe that is what Mr. Harris should be focusing on.

Posted by: Harry | Dec 27, 2011 8:18:31 PM

17. In the "Biblical" sense, weren't women chattel?

Posted by: John Normile | Dec 27, 2011 8:19:12 PM

18. Please call the Baptist Press office and tell them how attitudes like this are tearing families apart. I love to post on this site and I love knowing that people think like me. But ... post AND call, that's my new mantra. I got into an amazing conversation with a woman the Tennessee Board of Tourism a few months ago! She ended up apologizing to me. Anyway, if you're into it...

Baptist Press:
    615-244-2355.

Posted by: willbnyc | Dec 27, 2011 8:24:55 PM

19. If his belief that it's a sin isn't important, I don't see why he couldn't just not include that statement. You can't have it both ways, this his about his belief that homosexuality is a sin, which is based on fortunate ignorance assuming that everyone is automatically straight.

Posted by: Mke | Dec 27, 2011 9:24:54 PM

20. you know what...who cares what he thinks...while it is true we can live together and form relationships and he can believe we are living in sin; however, from a constitutional perspective...his opinion is not based in fact and has no bearing. that is what these religious nutcases need to understand...it doesn't matter what they think...no one is stopping them from worshiping, but when you say I should not have the same rights that you enjoy, then we got a problem!!

Posted by: tommyboy10 | Dec 27, 2011 9:46:58 PM

21. How much does he tip his male hustlers?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 27, 2011 10:18:51 PM

22. Another reason I stopped attending church. I was raised southern Baptist and incouraged to attend church by my father. He was openly gay he wanted me to have a relationship with God. He and his roommate (that is what their relationship was referred to back in the 80'S) raised me. I think they did a wonderful job! Due to the examples that were set for me I have been happily married for 20+ years with two teenagers. My children never got the pleasure of meeting their grandfather he lost his battle with HIV in1990, but I have tons of plctures of him and Bill up all over the house. My up bring was not easy there were plenty of ignorants, stupid, bigots back then. The sad things for me was the biggest bigot of them all was the church. The last sermond I heard was AIDS was Gods form of punishment for being homosexual. After hearing that I was done. I know teach my children about God here at home and I tell them that the Bible was written by man therefor it is as flawed as man is. God makes no mistakes according to the church!

Posted by: classychazy | Dec 27, 2011 11:07:36 PM

23. Why the hell is it always about the children? Do they think gay couples will not have children unless this idiot approves?

Posted by: frank | Dec 28, 2011 12:47:15 AM

24. Yes, we should all be more like Jesus -- run around with a band of merry men and never marry.

What would Jesus do at a wedding? Make sure there was plenty of wine.

Posted by: Read Your Bible | Dec 28, 2011 12:56:26 AM

25. i suppose he must support a ban hetero couples marrying who choose not to or can't have children. There is NO mandate to have children and you don't necessarily have to be married to have them. Marriage is a man made invention. Biblical "marriage" is all based on that fairy tale creationist nonsense when Adam fell asleep and God supposedly took a bone from his side and made a woman out of it. How on earth can any logical or rational thinking person even believe that?He allegedly made Adam out of the dust of the earth, so why would a woman be made from a bone? Makes absolutely NO sense. It really is a fairy tale.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Dec 28, 2011 7:49:17 AM