Barack Obama | Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Jamaica | Katy Perry | Mexico | Newt Gingrich | Russell Brand

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: Gingrich Cries, Mexico Marries, And Katy And Russell Split

Katyrussell Road It's over: America's worst singer and Britain's worst comedian to divorce.

Road Newt Gingrich tears up discussing mother.

Road The scheduled end of the world next year will be excellent for Mexico's tourist industry.

Road Cancun to exploit vague legal verbiage to perform gay weddings, attract tourists.

Road The NYT on the fine line Obama walks on LGBT issues:

Mr. Obama’s strategy, administration officials and gay-rights advocates said, reflects two conflicting forces. He recognizes that support for gay rights and same-sex marriage is growing, particularly among young voters.

But he is reluctant in an election year to be drawn into a culture-war issue — one that reliably helps Republicans turn out evangelical voters in their favor and that also strikes a particular nerve with religious black voters, a bedrock Obama constituency in battleground states like North Carolina and Florida.

PattiSmith Road The 10 best physics books of 2011.

Road Happy birthday, Patti Smith. Catch some vintage, savage Smithery AFTER THE JUMP ...

Road The AP's big story on the plight of LGBT seniors:

Experts say many gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender seniors fear discrimination, disrespect or worse by health care workers and residents of elder housing facilities — ultimately leading many back into the closet after years of being open.

That anxiety takes on new significance as the first of the 77 million baby boomers turns 65 this year. At least 1.5 million seniors are gay, a number expected to double by 2030, according to SAGE, the New York-based group Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders.

Road "Sista P" to return to Jamaican leadership after "landslide" election.

Road Neal Polack knew Christopher Hitchens better than anybody:

It was 1972, the height of our mutual virility. He and I went to a pub to celebrate his most recent intellectual victory over the establishment press. I intimated that sometimes women could be funny on purpose. Even back then, the thought enraged him. Hitchens threw a drink in my face, pressed a lit cigarette into my neck, and hit me over the head with a barstool. The next thing I knew, it was two days later and I was lying hogtied and naked beside the M5. Hitch had already severely damaged my reputation in a vicious essay in the Guardian. But that’s how he operated, and that’s why we loved him.

Road Need a New Year's resoluton? Presenting Paul Angelo, gay matchmaker and noted crazyperson, who suggests an "urgent" moratorium on anal intercourse. (HT: Michelangelo Signorile)

Road Longform.org names the 10 best long-form sex stories of 2011. I wrote one of them!

Comments

1. Does this mean that Brand won't be crossing the pond anymore? Here's hoping.

Posted by: cranky1 | Dec 30, 2011 7:44:34 PM

2. This post has a Patti Smith entry and a Katy Perry entry. Just sayin'...

Posted by: starquisha | Dec 30, 2011 8:21:14 PM

3. That anal sex article was utterly ridiculous. Why did BKT even include it?

Posted by: Diego | Dec 30, 2011 8:37:18 PM

4. "America's worst singer and Britain's worst comedian to divorce."

Brandon, please don't be bitchy. I don't like Queerty.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 30, 2011 8:53:44 PM

5. I agree. What's w the bitchy post? Leave that to d-listed.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 30, 2011 9:11:18 PM

6. Have you ever listened to Katy Perry on MTV Unplugged?
    Anyone who can sing like that live is definitely not the worst singer in America.

Posted by: David | Dec 30, 2011 10:18:05 PM

7. Half right. Russell Brand makes me want to hurl...

Posted by: Joey | Dec 30, 2011 10:29:27 PM

8. I second what Ryan and AJ have already said. I come here for LGBT news, and very occasionally visit dlisted when I need a bitchy queen fix. It just seems kind of out-of-place here.

And Katy Perry -- and I'm not a huge fan -- is hardly America's "worst" singer.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Dec 30, 2011 11:09:56 PM

9. I find it odd that SAGE, a gay group, should say that there are "1.5 million gay seniors" without anyone making a comment on the lack of true known numbers -- and when just a few short months ago everyone was all gaga in happiness when Gary Gates of the Williams Institute claimed to much fanfare that there were a mere 2,491,034 (a number which still galls me for the exactitude,) gay men and some 1.5 million lesbians. How could it conceivably be true that our age spread is so heavy with seniors? I would wish that we finally get some accurate numbers on gay folks -- or at least question each and every statistic ever proffered -- for it makes no sense for 1/3 of gay folks to be seniors, no sense at all. Get the numbers, um, straight, for heaven's sake, and don't just take them as gospel by whomever proclaims them.

Posted by: Jim Hlavac | Dec 30, 2011 11:22:35 PM

10. Sorry Brandon but Katy Perry can sing. How about you just give us the info without your personal opinion and cunty attitude.

Posted by: Derek | Dec 30, 2011 11:22:44 PM

11. Concerning the moratorium, If there's any truth to what he's saying and I don't think there is. I think there's a better solution. Ride your lover. You're on top and you're receiving. win-win.

Posted by: Mike from Chicago | Dec 30, 2011 11:26:47 PM

12. Sorry to pile on, but I agree with the spanking, Brandon. Although I'm not a fan of either, they both have their moments. "Worst" is rather unearned for both.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 30, 2011 11:29:22 PM

13. OK, rework it then: One of America's worst singers. Fixed.

Posted by: ger | Dec 30, 2011 11:33:21 PM

14. neither might be of homosexual concern though

Posted by: thom | Dec 30, 2011 11:39:23 PM

15. My my my, the gays with no sense of humor are attacking our BKT again. Heaven forbid that someone try to inject a bit of hyperbolic jest into the proceedings, instead of the usual dry reading of the facts.

Posted by: cranky1 | Dec 30, 2011 11:58:33 PM

16. BKT congratulations on your published story. I'll be reading it later.
    Gracious, it's Our Own Boy!

Posted by: uffda | Dec 31, 2011 12:45:02 AM

17. Thanks, uffda. Hope you like it. - BKT

Typos courtesy of iPhone and Autocorrect.

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Dec 31, 2011 12:49:51 AM

18. Brandon,

Congrats on your publication! I'll have to check that out.
    Also, and forgive me, I have to agree--ever so slightly--with the others. I'm not defending Katy Perry (not a fan, really), but I've read that headline in my Facebook newsfeed dozens of times, if you know what I'm saying.

Still a fan. ;)

Posted by: Blake | Dec 31, 2011 1:46:58 AM

19. I'm with Brandon. Katy Perry's singing is so horrendous, auto-tune can't fix it.

Posted by: TeenageDreg | Dec 31, 2011 1:50:59 AM

20. Is there a bad link for the Ab Fab special? All I get is a pic of the phony People cover of Taylor Lautner. Meh.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 31, 2011 3:14:38 AM

21. Russell Brand is an slimeball who happened to "make it" in the UK before managing to get some success across the pond here in North America. If you have ever watched him on British TV he is crude, gross, not funny, and a former junkie. The Brits love him sadly.

Posted by: Darrell | Dec 31, 2011 3:17:15 AM

22. I'd take a former junkie over Katy Perry. Cripes, have a sense of humor. They were a horrible couple, they're horrible to look at, and BKT can write whatever he likes.

Don't like it, then move on.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 31, 2011 4:18:24 AM

23. wow when did site became high class...this site when down in 2008 when it sold out. Kate perry worst singer??? really mister I post about Reality tele housewives or anyone one young under age and male...seriously towleroad needs a rebirth.

Posted by: Bosie | Dec 31, 2011 5:54:14 AM

24. where is brandon's story?

Posted by: redball | Dec 31, 2011 6:16:18 AM

25. "My my my, the gays with no sense of humor are attacking our BKT again. Heaven forbid that someone try to inject a bit of hyperbolic jest into the proceedings, instead of the usual dry reading of the facts."

Gay men being needlessly catty went out like 10 years ago. There are other ways to make a point.

In any case, I don't see how someone proclaiming someone else the 'worst' is at all humourous. It's just insulting for insulting's sake.

Posted by: Nat | Dec 31, 2011 6:17:43 AM