2012 Election | Mitt Romney | Republican Party

Mitt Romney Touts 'Progressive' Views in Unearthed Clip: VIDEO

Progressive_romney

A new video has surfaced online from Mitt Romney's 2002 campaign for Massachusetts governor.

Says Romney in the clip: "I think the old standby definitions of who votes for which party have been blown away in this campaign. I think people recognize that I'm not a partisan Republican, that I'm someone who is moderate, and that my views are progressive."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Romney spokesperson Andrea Saul responds.

The very last thing the Democrats want to do is run against Mitt Romney. That is why they are focused on his campaign and not on the economy. The Democrats are continuing their campaign of deception in their strategy to ‘kill Romney.’ If anyone has a question of how Mitt Romney will govern as president, take a look at his record of creating jobs, cutting spending, and protecting the sanctity of life and traditional marriage. That was his record as Governor and that will be his record as president.

Comments

1. Pathological Liar – Definition

Pathological liar refers to a liar that is compulsive or impulsive, lies on a regular basis and is unable to control their lying despite of foreseeing inevitable negative consequences or ultimate disclosure of the lie. Generally lies told by a pathological liar have self-defeating quality to them and don’t serve the long term material needs of the person. Therefore pathological lying is lying that is caused by a pathology, occurs on a regular basis, is compulsive or impulsive & uncontrolled

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Dec 13, 2011 2:34:05 PM

2. At this point, although I can't stomach mitt or newt...I think we should hope for newt to win the GOP nomination. He's ultimately unelectable...for any number of reasons, while romney does have something going for him...namely his looks. That could creat a challenge for obama in the general election. But newt could never win the general and we should hope to see him win the nomination for that reason alone. Oh, and of course watching Obama make newt show his true colors would have enormous comic value...and who doesn't need a good laugh?

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 13, 2011 3:25:52 PM

3. Paul -- while I think Newt is a combustible candidate, he'd at least go after Obama and has charisma. I think Obama would win, but Romney looks more electable than he actually is. He couldn't stand the scrutiny of a national election and still seem like a real person. If he hasn't done it by now, it's just not happening -- so it's just not happening.

To win the GOP primary, he'd have to create that kind of buzz and momentum, to instill that energy in the base, and he's never going to do it. So it doesn't look like we'll be seeing Mitt in the general, anyway.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 13, 2011 3:52:40 PM

4. @Ryan...While I agree with you that mitt is not creating much buzz...and it's not doing him any good right now, he does have a subtle electability. I'm not sure what you see as newt's charisma...I guess he would make a good Housewive's of D.C. guest and boost /ratings a bit...is that charisma?
    I still hold a bit of hope that the population at large isn't dumbed down enough to imagine newt playing well with other foreign leaders. He needs his own playpen & rattle, on an island with other psudo-intellectuals like Coulter & Rove....they can go at it with each other.

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 13, 2011 4:54:57 PM

5. I think Romney's good looks trump Newt's charisma. In the end, however, I think they're both (most likely), fatally flawed: Romney's mormonism,testiness, and (now) latent centrism; Newt's looks, wives, arrogance.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 13, 2011 4:55:39 PM

6. I have to say I lived in Massachusetts and my family still does but no one and I mean no one, even republicans seem to remember Romney creating ANY jobs or doing much but embarrassing the state with his position on gay marriage etc.

Posted by: Vincent-louis Apruzzese | Dec 13, 2011 5:15:25 PM

7. Romney's campaign is amateur hour. His latest gaffe is unwittingly adopting the KKK slogan ?Keep America American." Apparently no one on his staff knows how to use google.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Dec 13, 2011 5:46:14 PM

8. Proof of what we already know, but hardly a smoking gun. If he's managed to dodge the previous videos, he can dodge this one.

Posted by: David | Dec 13, 2011 6:03:58 PM

9. The only problem with Mitt's response (that this clip was released by the Obama camp) is that the clip was actually unearthed and released by a Republican blogger.

Why start telling the truth now?

Posted by: John | Dec 13, 2011 6:18:34 PM

10. Gingrich does have an advantage over Romney, he looks like an elephant in a grey suit.

If he ran with Chris Christie it would be like an elephant stampede.

Posted by: truth be told | Dec 14, 2011 8:21:06 AM