Australia | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Sister of Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd Quits Labor Party Over Gay Marriage

Loree Rudd, the sister fo Foreign Minister and former PM Kevin Rudd, has quit the Australian Labor Party over its support of same-sex marriage:

Rudd"I knew I didn't want to stay in a party if that was their stand...It's not something I believe in and it's also the way it happened that I dislike. I no longer liked the direction the Labor Party was going at state or federal level and I couldn't work for a party that had endorsed homosexuals marrying...I don't believe gay marriage is good for the community. Homosexuals should be loved and treated right and they should not be discriminated against. It is a horrible thing for them to be discriminated against and that's why my brother introduced laws so they are not discriminated against. But to make that huge leap from their rights to breaking a commandment of Moses, to say homosexuals' relationships is marriage, is utter nonsense."

The Daily Telegraph adds:

Shelley Argent, the national spokeswoman for the lobby group Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays said: "I think what she needs to understand is that it was a fair and equal vote and it was decided to favour same-sex marriage." She added Christians did not stand to lose anything. "It's just one of those really sad things when people are actively working to deny people their rights and dignity,'' Ms Argent said. "It's what I'd call religious, not Christian."

Comments

1. What is it with these religious wackos when they think that religion controls or owns civil marriage in which there is no religious component? I just don't get it. Who are they to say who can and cannot have a civil marriage anyway?

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Dec 13, 2011 7:58:56 AM

2. First Margaret Court and now Kevin Rudd's sister. What the heck is going on in Australia? I never thought it was such a homophobic place. Looks like I'll have to scratch it off my tourism list.

Posted by: jason | Dec 13, 2011 8:03:17 AM

3. Well look at the old bittys .......they're just Jealous they cant get a man

Posted by: Gay American | Dec 13, 2011 8:16:45 AM

4. I don't get how they can say they don't support discrimination then turn around and add except when it concerns marriage. It is completely irrational. Clearly, they are imposing their own religious views on others. Talk about blinded by hypocrisy!

Posted by: MikeH | Dec 13, 2011 8:17:11 AM

5. This is what's so effectively sinister about homophobia. Most homophobes don't have horns and blood dripping from their fangs. They look like your grandmother and come bearing cookies and a smile.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Dec 13, 2011 8:17:40 AM

6. "It is a horrible thing for them to be discriminated against and that's why I want to discriminate against them."

See? Clear as mud.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 13, 2011 8:21:35 AM

7. At the last conference she ranted about the global gay gestapo. No surprises here.

Posted by: James | Dec 13, 2011 8:32:54 AM

8. This is typical right wing Christofascist homophobic double-speak at its best - Aussie-style. We shouldn't discriminate except when it's in the interest of our self-beliefs. Hogwash to her all those like her everywhere!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Dec 13, 2011 8:59:30 AM

9. I guess her bible has an eleventh commandment:

Thus shalt not suffer the homos to wed.

Posted by: Christopher | Dec 13, 2011 9:00:14 AM

10. Are we sure that's not Sally Kern's sister? It looks like her!

Posted by: Chance | Dec 13, 2011 9:13:23 AM

11. Dear Ms. Rudd: Moses did not write anything nor command anything in the Bible. In fact, Moses is probably more myth than fact. Honest translations of Old and New Testament writings will produce no condemnations of loving relationships between people of the same-sex.

In other words, M. Rudd, STFU.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 13, 2011 9:40:41 AM

12. Australia like here has it's not so friendly people, but I still think they'll have marriage before us. I'd visit the country in a heartbeat, hot men!!!

Posted by: George M | Dec 13, 2011 10:03:14 AM

13. Good news. Unless you are a 2000+ year old Jew living in Israel, the Mosaic laws do not apply to you. Go out and have a blessed life.

Posted by: Patrick Wellington III | Dec 13, 2011 10:48:08 AM

14. 100 % agree with Robert in NYC. Civil Marriage is not the same thing as changing your church doctrine. Why do these people have to register their displeasure ? Why do they feel it is O.K. to assign second class citizenship to people based on their interpertation of what is right and wrong when it in NO way affects them. (except they do not get to tell other people how to live their lives).

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Dec 13, 2011 12:05:20 PM

15. You are nonsense! get with it sister!

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 13, 2011 7:12:57 PM