Medicine | News

BigGayDeal.com

Painless Dental Cavity Filling Could Be Here by 2013: VIDEO

Dentist

Human clinical trials are underway on the "plasma brush" a device that should revolutionize the dental industry with painless cavity filling:

In less than 30 seconds, the plasma brush uses chemical reactions to disinfect and clean out cavities for fillings. In addition to the bacteria-killing properties, the “cool flame” from the plasma brush forms a better bond for cavity fillings.  The chemical reactions involved with the plasma brush actually change the surface of the tooth, which allows for a strong and robust bonding with the filling material.

“There have been no side effects reported during the lab trials, and we expect the human trials to help us improve the prototype,” said Qingsong Yu, associate professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering of MU, and Meng Chen, chief scientist from Nanova, Inc., which holds a co-patent for the plasma brush with MU.

For those of you who cringe at even the sound of a dentist's drill, this should be good news.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via gizmodo)

“Painless ” Plasma Brush Is Becoming Realistic In Dentistry, MU Engineers Say from MU News Bureau on Vimeo.

Comments

1. yes Im a CRINGER when the drill starts - it literally gives me chills, THAT and any metal touching my teeth.

Posted by: Gay American | Dec 22, 2011 9:57:48 AM

2. This will never see the light of day. The sadists dentists will never allow it to interfere with their fun.

Posted by: Patrick Wellington III | Dec 22, 2011 9:59:30 AM

3. Thank God. The scariest sound in the world for me is that high-pitched whine of the dentist's drill! Even the thought of it is giving me shivers right now.

Posted by: scott | Dec 22, 2011 10:05:23 AM

4. This technology is not a replacement for the dental drill. Your dentist will still need to use a drill to excavate the decay. And of course, root canal therapy will still require drilling.

Posted by: atomic | Dec 22, 2011 10:07:20 AM

5. Atomic@ is a spoiler. I can hardly wait for this device so that my dentist has to pay for his vacations without drilling me, ahem. Dental costs are now astronomical.

Posted by: uffda | Dec 22, 2011 12:06:54 PM

6. Sorry, I can't relate to this boys. The sound doesn't bother me, and I have great dental insurance,

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 22, 2011 1:19:48 PM

7. I'm more interested in getting the industry to use non-toxic filling materials. Most of the current ones are chock full of hormonally-active toxins with a plethora of negative long-term health effects.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 22, 2011 4:51:34 PM

8. (WTF? How did my name get linked to a supposed Adam Lambert demo snippet? Oh well. Ignore please.)

Posted by: Sam | Dec 22, 2011 4:53:33 PM

9. Considering the sound of the drill is the only thing that makes me twinge at the dentist this is very welcome! ...now only if i had Dental insurance to afford it.

Posted by: Redebbm | Dec 23, 2011 12:04:54 AM