Arkansas | Democratic Party | News

Arkansas Democratic Campaign Manager Finds Family Cat Killed, Defaced with the Word 'Liberal'

Jake Burris, who manages Democrat Ken Aden's bid for Arkansas' 3rd Congressional District, arrived home to find the family cat dead and "liberal" written across its body in magic marker. I'm not going to include the photo but it's here if you're interested in making yourself sick.

Reuters: Aden

Aden is running against incumbent Republican Representative Steve Womack. Burris was returning to his Russellville, Arkansas home with his four children when he found the cat on his doorstep, the Aden campaign said in a press release on Monday. The mixed-breed Siamese cat had one side of its head bashed in to "the point the cat's eyeball was barely hanging from its socket," the release said.

Blue Arkansas writes:

I asked Aden for a comment on the record: “This is sickening.  To kill a child’s pet…I’m at a loss for words…I’ve seen the best and the worst of humanity, but this is something else.”

Both Ken and Jake though made it clear that they weren’t going to back down on the campaign trail, both agreeing that caving to this kind of behavior would only make things worse. “I’ve got a gun and I know how to use it.”, Jake said.  “If I have to protect my kids I’ll do it without hesitation.”

Comments

1. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

Posted by: LiamB | Jan 23, 2012 6:41:59 PM

2. How come this was covered first when I posted to Towleroad's facebook with another newsworthy Arkansas story over six hours ago? The HRC got it right at least: http://www.hrc.org/press-releases/entry/hrc-calls-on-arkansas-newspaper-to-drop-anti-gay-weddings-announcement-poli

Posted by: Mike | Jan 23, 2012 6:59:00 PM

3. Omg that person would not live to see another day once I found them, if that was my cat. Serious.

Posted by: aneas t. | Jan 23, 2012 7:02:26 PM

4. Thanks for posting this Andy. Ken is well liked here in our Gay-friendly village of Eureka Springs.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 23, 2012 7:11:19 PM

5. GOP = EVIL

Posted by: Dave | Jan 23, 2012 7:29:32 PM

6. Truly at a loss for words. Has the opposing campaign made any statement? I would hope at the very least disassociate themselves with this type of behavior in the harshest terms possible.

Posted by: secret identity | Jan 23, 2012 7:30:47 PM

7. The Tea Baggers, the Evangelicals , the Right Wing, the GOP, these are the enemies of our rights and the enemies of the Constitution.........
    And now they are killing cats.

Take Notice: any attempt to diminish our rights or otherwise resile from the proposition that "all men are created equal" will result in us arming ourselves against such traitors.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 23, 2012 7:37:52 PM

8. My monies on the tea party

Posted by: George M | Jan 23, 2012 7:47:26 PM

9. The corporate Wall Street Republican Mafia's threat is obvious: Bow out of the election or your kids are next.

Posted by: Fred | Jan 23, 2012 7:50:38 PM

10. I'm very sorry to say that this really didn't surprise me much.

Posted by: Yeek | Jan 23, 2012 8:06:12 PM

11. I'm such an animal lover that this just breaks my heart. We're getting our son a dog for his upcoming 5th birthday and he already has a cat he's raised from a kitten. I go berserk when people mistreat a pet and even though I'm in no way a gun advocate, I can understand Jake's comment about brandishing a gun if it meant protecting his children. (Rest in peace kitty.)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 23, 2012 8:11:43 PM

12. The only monsters are people.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jan 23, 2012 8:53:05 PM

13. Did you forget they tried to murder Rep. Gabrielle Giffords? Why is this so shocking? I hope they find this psycho.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jan 23, 2012 8:56:13 PM

14. What Sean said.

Posted by: justinw | Jan 23, 2012 8:59:26 PM

15. COWARDS!!!! That's what these people are. Wish the law would dual out the same manner of toture and death this poor helpless animal suffered to those responsible.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 23, 2012 9:38:22 PM

16. Typical conservatives. Why would anybody be surprised?

Posted by: Jacknasty | Jan 23, 2012 11:40:25 PM

17. welcome to Hillbilly Arkansas !

Posted by: MarkBoston | Jan 24, 2012 12:41:39 AM

18. Awful. Is half the country on crazy pills?

What I find weird is that words like "socialist" and now "liberal" are seen as the worst thing you can call someone in America. I'm proud to be both.

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Jan 24, 2012 4:44:29 AM

19. No MarkBoston, this is not Hillbilly Arkansas. I live in Arkansas and this is NOT typical behavior here. The fringe right is alive and well here for sure. But do not tar the whole state with your nastiness. I am a liberal and I know quite a few others here too. This was a state with a Democratic Governor, both Senators and 3 of 4 Reps until the last election cycle when it turned. But we are all not a bunch of crazies here. Nor are we all barefoot hillbillies either.
    What this sick person did is despicable. But it could have happened anywhere FOX News airs.

Posted by: LiamLiam | Jan 24, 2012 8:50:02 AM

20. I anticipate the right will become more feral as the election draws near. We need to be on our guard.

They realize it is not enough to use fear on their minions. They must use fear on us, to silence all of humanity. This is their attempt to break us. This is proof that they care nothing about what they say they do. All that matters to them is that we are the enemy, and as such, we are to be slaughtered. We must show them that we will not be intimidated by these hooligans and their pampered masters.

Posted by: Aulton | Jan 24, 2012 9:14:57 AM

21. The retort that any objection to or questions about the economic inequality that exists in the USA is "class warfare" now moves into overt physical acts of No Class Warfare. The upholders of all the varieties of Family Values think nothing of inflicting harm, terror and trauma on the "wrong kind" of families, which seems to be a big, broad category.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jan 24, 2012 12:29:37 PM

22. Liberals would never do anything like that to a conservative politician. The dangerous wackos all seem to lean to the right.

These are the same people who tried to kill Gabrielle Giffords, who bring guns to Tea Party rallies, and sent anthrax in the mail to Democratic lawmakers.

Why aren't people more outraged at this? Why isn't the mainstream "liberal" media picking up on this?

Posted by: dh | Jan 24, 2012 12:58:30 PM

23. This heinous act would make an atheist want to believe that there IS a God above to punish this insane behavior. It really is yet another indication of how sick the messages have been in American society for at least a generation such that civil discourse takes such a dark, dangerous and purely EVIL road.

Posted by: Kenn | Jan 24, 2012 1:42:50 PM

24. Anyone notice that the countries that have the worst kind of in-fighting and class discrimination are ALL countries with strong Bigot based Religions?

Posted by: Jerry6 | Jan 24, 2012 5:18:14 PM