Australia | Grindr | Indonesia | iPhone | Mobile Phones | Tech

Grindr Hacked! 100,000 users exposed down under!

GRINDR-CEO-Joel-simkhai Grindr-1.5-on-iPhone-screenshot--Main copy

Grindr, the the wildly popular mobile app "has been compromised by a Sydney hacker, potentially exposing intimate personal chats, explicit photos and private information of users,"  the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

With recent statements claiming 3 million users globally, the company has been "pushed into a security crisis that has left its users seriously vulnerable considering the vast amounts fo private information traded thorugh the app -- in many cases naked pictures."

The paper was tipped to the story last week, but founder Joel Simkhai denied knowing anything about it in a phone interview with the  paper last Friday, adding that the service had never had a "major breach." But by Tuesday he was forced to admit the site had been compromised as by then the hacker posted user photos, passwords and other information on a site, and it was becoming clear others had discovered the exploit as well.

The hacker site has since come down. Simkhai says protecting user privacy is their highest priority and promised a secure update to the app in days.

Love online: 100,000 Grindr users exposed in hack attack [sydney morning herald]

Comments

1. "But by Tuesday he was forced to admit the site had been compromised as by then the hacker posed user photos"

How the hell did the hacker get the users to "POSE" for photos? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by: Tim NC | Jan 20, 2012 7:35:53 AM

2. Isn't the whole idea of Grindr to be exposed? You're taking photos of your cock and posting them online. What level of discretion and safety are you expecting? You look at any of the adult male blogs and all you see are re-posts of Grindr photos as "The hottie of the day" or "Big Cock of the Day".

Good luck to you and your GOP base.

Posted by: 99% | Jan 20, 2012 7:48:58 AM

3. meh

grindr is for whores anyway & I don't mean escorts. Escorts at least are honest with themselves and can make a decent living at being whores

grindr people are just whores for free

Posted by: say what | Jan 20, 2012 8:32:46 AM

4. Joel "and we welcome any feedback" Simkhai has rarely welcomed any substantive technical feedback about the site. Usual strategy is to delete the feedback on open forums and block the user. Grindr couldn't even do a simple update in days (or weeks) let alone one that handles security. That's a big architectural issue for them. Hosting parties with strippers to advertise their "dating" site is a higher priority.

Posted by: exGrindr | Jan 20, 2012 8:38:09 AM

5. Dearest 'Say What',

You have no idea what you're talking about.

David, and the other millions of other gay dudes with a Grindr account

Posted by: David in NYC | Jan 20, 2012 9:00:06 AM

6. No, I think eliminating privacy is their business model in a nutshell.

Posted by: anon | Jan 20, 2012 9:15:56 AM

7. Your writing is very good, I really like, thanks.

Posted by: law coursework | Jan 20, 2012 9:25:24 AM

8. Haha who cares? Oh yeah, the closet cases, that's who. Douchebags of Grindr revealed!

Posted by: Jwl | Jan 20, 2012 9:38:07 AM

9. Ok David in NYC

There is 1 non whore on grindr

:-P

Posted by: say what | Jan 20, 2012 9:46:57 AM

10. It's OK, David. Those who think they are morally superior and call others whores are usually ones who couldn't get laid even if they were the only man available. I'm not a user of grindr, but if my partner and I had a problem finding others to play, we might just join. TGIFF.

Posted by: stpetegreg | Jan 20, 2012 10:20:27 AM

11. So a bunch of headless torso non-face pic sending "my GF is out of town bro" guys had their faces published?

#whocares #comeoutalready

and yes this is pretty much just aguyswithiphone hacking.

Posted by: brad | Jan 20, 2012 11:31:59 AM

12. It's unreasonable to expect any information on Grindr to be private anyway. Just deserts.

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 20, 2012 11:43:49 AM

13. I'm a little surprised by the hate. I've never used Grindr, but I'm not going to hate on anyone who has. To we have to be so judgmental?

And, yeah, it's kind of a big deal when people post private information and that information's hacked and posted online for anyone to see. It should be a learning experience, though, because a lot of people aren't aware of how bad the security protections are on a lot of sites and online services. People shouldn't post anything they aren't prepared to have hacked and leaked out.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 20, 2012 12:27:36 PM

14. stpetegreg

reality tends to show that the less attractive are the most whorish due to trying to stroke their fragile egos, while the more attractive don't find a need to sleep with every piece of ass that walks by

reality also tends to show the less attractive tend towards open relationships while the more attractive tend towards monogamous relationships

Peace be with you

Posted by: say what | Jan 20, 2012 1:08:43 PM

15. After a botched Android update reset my phone's IMEI to the well-known "test" IMEI, I discovered that when I connected to Grindr, I would be assigned the identity of some random other Grindr user, including his profile, photos, chats, favorites, etc. I presume these were other people who had botched updates as well, and therefore shared this same IMEI. It seems apparent that Grindr's identity authentication, at least for some devices, rests entirely on the IMEI. When I restored my phone to its original, proper IMEI, my previous profile etc. was restored.

Posted by: Guest | Jan 20, 2012 1:11:35 PM

16. I read that there protocol is still open which means someone can be downloading the entire content, chat, photos, happening today from every user. They haven't fixed and thing and haven't told anyone how unsecure it is. CRAZY.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 30, 2012 10:38:39 AM