Dustin Lance Black | News | Proposition 8 | Theatre

Dustin Lance Black's Prop 8 Play '8' to Be Performed in Dozens of Venues Nationally

8, Dustin Lance Black's dramatization of the Prop 8 trial which has played a star-studded benefit performance in New Yorker and has another scheduled for Los Angeles on March 3, is going national, the AP reports:

8The pro-gay marriage American Foundation for Equal Rights and partner Broadway Impact are sponsoring dozens of productions of Dustin Lance Black's play starring local actors across the country this election year. It'll be shown in states where marriage battles loom, including Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire and North Carolina.

Adam Umhoefer, the foundation's project director, said the glitzy Broadway show and upcoming California counterpart help fund getting the play mounted elsewhere. "Those big tent-pole shows bring attention to the play so that all these other groups across the country can work on their productions," he said.

It will hit marriage equality 'hotspots' across the nation:

Some of the first productions this year will be in New Hampshire, where gay-rights activists are fighting an attempt to repeal the state's gay-marriage law. "8'' will be performed at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, N.H., on Feb. 7 and then three days later at the Palace Theatre in Manchester, N.H.

"In places where there is specific action being taken — where marriage equality is going to become a reality or going to be prohibited legally, or perhaps, in the case of New Hampshire, repealed — that is a focus and where we want to make sure this play is seen and heard," said Umhoefer.

More than 40 readings are now scheduled in more than 17 states.

As for L.A.'s production, Towleroad recently announced that Matt Bomer and Matthew Morrison will play plaintiffs Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo, respectively. George Clooney has been cast as attorney David Boies.

Comments

1. This is so stupid. He should ask equity to make a special exception. Maybe even charge a viewing fee. Just let people see the damn event.

Posted by: K | Jan 17, 2012 11:56:19 AM

2. Not to be a cynic (too late) but how will mounting these productions help anything? It will just be preaching to the choir. I doubt any anti-gay senators or state representatives will be buying tickets nor will conservative voters. Maybe some independent will be dragged to the play by their gay or lesbian friends but I doubt anyone who is on the fence about gay marriage will willingly see a play about it. Maybe I'm wrong...

Posted by: KP | Jan 17, 2012 1:03:31 PM

3. I don't see any readings in any Southern area besides Dallas. I hope there will be additions in AR, MS and TN... that would be wonderful. I think areas more LGBT ignorant might benefit from this kind of play.

Posted by: Michael J. Hildebrand | Jan 17, 2012 1:21:23 PM

4. US prepare to yawn!

Posted by: David B. | Jan 17, 2012 7:22:16 PM

5. KP, you never know who will be influenced by pro-gay plays, TV shows, movies, etc... I'm on Towleroad because a gay couple was portrayed on my soap opera "As the World Turns." And I almost gave up on the show because it was soon to go off the air and I normaly didn't watch portrayals of gay couples in fiction. But my love for the show won out. One thing led to another - 365gay, the writings of Jon Rauch, Joe my God,...and then Towleroad. While my views have not changed competely, I'm more sympathetic now and likely to not automatically oppose anything that falls under the rubric of "gay rights". And I never thought this could happen.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 17, 2012 7:33:34 PM

6. Hopefully it will also come to Washington State: the next state to have marriage equality. We only need two more senators to see the light.

Posted by: David R. | Jan 18, 2012 12:30:31 AM

7. With the number of big-name stars on board for this, it'd be nice if Fathom Events (fathomevents.com)--the folks who show concerts, operas, sporting events, lectures, and yes sometimes plays--picked up the broadcast for the night. I'd definitely pay $12-$20 to see this play, especially knowing it'd get on people's radar. Century Theaters and Regal Cinemas in Oregon regularly show stuff via Fathom.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 18, 2012 8:52:31 AM

8. Very good written article. It will be helpful to anyone who uses it, including yours truly. Keep up the good work – for sure i will check out more posts. http://www.louboutinshoes2u.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin Sale | May 4, 2012 9:54:34 PM

9. I absolutely love this site.. shoes came right on time nd they areee generous got 2 pairs and the stitching A quality love them, The design and the look of your site are really nice! It makes my reading even more interesting and pleasant! - http://www.kisslouboutin.com/

Posted by: Discount Christian Louboutin Shoes | May 4, 2012 9:54:44 PM

10. This is the best blog I’ve ever seen in my life! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share this with everyone. http://www.christianlouboutinshoesexy.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin | May 4, 2012 9:54:57 PM