Catholic Church | New York | News | Pope Benedict | Timothy Dolan | Vatican

BigGayDeal.com

Gay-Hating NY Archbishop Timothy Dolan to Be Elevated to Cardinal

Archbishop Timothy Dolan, who warned of the Communist threat from same-sex marriage in New York during the run-up to its legalization last year, will be among those elevated by Pope Benedict to Cardinal in a ceremony on February 18, City Room reports:

DolanPope Benedict XVI also named 21 other new cardinals on Friday. Eighteen of the new cardinals are under the age of 80, Reuters reported, and therefore eligible to enter the secret conclave to elect a new pope after Benedict dies. There are 120 cardinals who serve as papal elector.

Vatican Radio carried the official announcement and the names of all those who will be elevated in February.

Archbishop Dolan, who was named to succeed Cardinal Edward M. Egan in February 2009, is set to deliver a mass at the Cathedral of Saint Patrick on Friday morning and would respond to the announcement.

Dolan, who claimed to be deceived by politicians over the marriage equality vote after it happened, also said this:

This is a very violation of what we consider natural law that’s embedded in every man and woman and we’re really worried as Americans that it’s going to be detrimental to the common good.

And called it 'Orwellian social engineering', comparing it to polygamy:

To tamper with that definition, or to engage in some Orwellian social engineering about the nature and purpose of marriage, is perilous to all of us.  If the definition of marriage is continually being altered, could it not in the future be morphed again to include multiple spouses or even family members?

And suggested it was a Communist threat:

Last time I consulted an atlas, it is clear we are living in New York, in the United States of America – not in China or North Korea.  In those countries, government presumes daily to “redefine” rights, relationships, values, and natural law.  There, communiqués from the government can dictate the size of families, who lives and who dies, and what the very definition of “family” and “marriage” means.

He also put it same-sex marriage in the same category as marrying one's mommy.

Apparently it was enough anti-gay hate to get him a big promotion.

Comments

1. ...and the Roman Catholic Church continues its dizzying glide into irrelevance with its gay-hating and baiting behavior. Yup! Reward the good little homophobe. Encourage him to spew his hate-speech from the pulpit of the country's largest churches and watch as the congregations in all but 3rd-world countries wander-off to find a religion with less hate and more Jesus-like compassion. Frankly, it might be a good thing. The faster the RC church self-destructs, the better for the world.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 6, 2012 7:56:31 AM

2. Hey Mr. Bishop! My son was born of a virgin too. Nyah!

Posted by: TJ Parker | Jan 6, 2012 8:00:46 AM

3. We all know what this means -- 22 guys are going dress shopping!

And gowns, and robes and tiaras, wait, no tiaras, just special hats. Red ones.

Posted by: the pageantry persists | Jan 6, 2012 8:07:09 AM

4. I call gayface on Archbishop Dolan!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 6, 2012 8:13:56 AM

5. ....and Jesus puked.

Posted by: wwjd | Jan 6, 2012 8:14:55 AM

6. Ms. Dolan! Felicitations on your fuculation!

Posted by: TJ Parker | Jan 6, 2012 8:15:17 AM

7. It is true that in the media Dolan vocally tows the party line on same-sex marriage.

I am out and Catholic. I have personally witnessed Dolan interacting with openly gay Catholics in New York City more than once. He showed no signs of hostility, harassment or condescension towards us.

Dolan ain't pro-gay, but it is unfair to call him gay-hating.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 6, 2012 8:24:47 AM

8. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Rob | Jan 6, 2012 8:27:07 AM

9. What a surprise, not... Another closet case hating on out gay people, merely so he can put on a fancy dress and parade around.

Posted by: homer | Jan 6, 2012 8:39:15 AM

10. this shows what kind of behavior is rewarded at the Vatican.

As to Alex's statements about Dolan, even the sidewalks in front of St Patrick's continue to be barricaded during the Pride March every June--while, conspicuously, members of other churches on the parade route are in front offering trays of cold water to marchers on Pride Sunday.

So, Alex, say what you like, but these facts remain. You may stay in a self-abusive relationship with that organization as long as it suits you, but don't try to sell the idea that Dolan is a Christian.

Besides, in his private life I'm sure he's quite used to fraternizing with gay men.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 6, 2012 8:43:25 AM

11. They are running an ad campaign here for ex-Catholics to "return home" to the church. Hey, Dolan, AIN'T NO F*CKING WAY! I will return to the church when I see you and Bennie in hell.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jan 6, 2012 8:50:22 AM

12. Some of these comments about religion are terrible. I was raised southern Baptist I left the church many years ago, because I got sick of hearing about homosexuality being an unforgivable sin. However I continue to pray Everyday and I feel closer to God now then ever. I had a very hard year last year and if it had not been for my faith, and family I may have not made it threw.
    I am not a Catholic, but I am sure like with any religion there are bad priests and good. I think those which are understanding should be given credit where credit is due. Religion is an important for some and I think each of us should be respectful of that.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 6, 2012 9:00:41 AM

13. meh

Posted by: Greggie | Jan 6, 2012 9:00:44 AM

14. @Alex. "...but it is unfair to call (Dolan) gay-hating". C'mon, man, you've got be kidding, right? Do you not understand the homophobic hate this Papal mouthpiece has been spewing about our community? He's an enemy of gays no matter what you may think. Get with the program and stop believing Dolan's your friend. If you do, that's plain delusional.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jan 6, 2012 9:04:33 AM

15. I have a question what is a "troll"? I have seen this reference several times and I have been called that several times. I would like to know what it means to you all. The only reference I know of a troll is a person or thing that lives under a bridge. I am just curious. Thanks.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 6, 2012 9:04:48 AM

16. If I were the employee of an international criminal organization for the exploitation of children, I might be a little less sanctimonious about what is "natural law" and what promotes the "common good." But, then, that is probably why an ex-Nazi will never make me a cardinal...

Posted by: kit | Jan 6, 2012 9:21:50 AM

17. For those of you who want us to show some respect for the pious sanctimony of these hate-mongering prelates, I say bullsh*t. The Catholic Church has become a propaganda arm of the haters, filling the coffers of NOM, and making every effort to turn our friends and families against us as we struggle for our civil rights. Religious bigotry is bigotry. Don't try polishing the turds.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jan 6, 2012 9:27:42 AM

18. "company man"

Posted by: doug | Jan 6, 2012 9:35:43 AM

19. The first thing that comes to mind when I see this guy's photo: he is a bottom, not just a bottom, but an insatiable bottom.

Posted by: Xavi | Jan 6, 2012 9:38:17 AM

20. What is "natural law" except the Catholic church's opinion about things? These cultists--a part of the 1%, if not the 0.01%--have been dressing up their various hangups and prejudices as "natural law" ever since Aquinas.

New rule: If it doesn't reflect what's observable in nature, it isn't natural law. Get it, Tim?

Posted by: jomicur | Jan 6, 2012 10:00:21 AM

21. @Alex: A dinner date who is nice to you but horrible to the waiter is not a nice person. Likewise, a person who is nice to individual gay people at a cocktail party and then turns around and uses his (literal) bully pulpit to call us perverted abominations is by definition a hateful bigot.

I will never understand why gay people sometimes clamor all over themselves to apologize for those people who would like nothing more than to see us all dead or invisible.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 6, 2012 10:06:43 AM

22. Some people are just driven to defend authority figures no matter how much -- hell, maybe because of how much -- they despise you and spit on you.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 6, 2012 10:20:41 AM

23. classychazy....You certainly know what a "troll" is if you know how to respond to a blog post......Then you know how to GOOGLE the word TROLL.

Posted by: Stephen Q | Jan 6, 2012 1:32:15 PM

24. Generally, you become a cardinal by putting in the years and having large responsibilities. He's already espousing the views of the church, so adherence to an anti-gay agenda is not the reason for his promotion.

Posted by: anon | Jan 6, 2012 3:42:12 PM

25. Milkman: Facts are facts. Dolan railed against gay marriage and he lost. He knew we would march in the NYC Gay Pride parade but asked us to march without a banner... and he lost.

Does Dolan want gays "dead"? No.

Does Dolan want gays "invisible"? In New York, he knows he can't.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 6, 2012 10:14:45 PM