David Boies | Gay Marriage | George Clooney | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

George Clooney Speaks Out for Marriage Equality, Will Play Attorney David Boies in Prop 8 Play

George Clooney tells E!'s Marc Malkin that he'll be playing AFER attorney David Boies in the L.A. production of Dustin Lance Black's '8'. Clooney's participation was announced in December, but until now it was unclear what role he would be playing.

ClooneySaid Clooney to Malkin: "I think the world is changing and it's becoming less and less of an issue and I think it shouldn't be long now," Clooney said. "I think younger people are looking at this like, 'Who cares?' I do believe it's generational, much like the civil rights movement. Young people started taking to the streets and things changed. This really is the final leg of the civil rights movement."

Clooney told The Hollywood Reporter in December: “It is astonishing that gay and lesbian Americans are still treated as second-class citizens. I am confident that, very soon, the laws of this nation will reflect the basic truth that gay and lesbian people -- like all human beings -- are born equal in dignity and rights.”

'8' will run one night only at Los Angeles’ Wilshire Ebell Theatre on March 3.

Comments

1. He gets better with age. Saw The Descendants couple weeks ago. I knew he was going to be good based on the reviews. However, I didn't expect him to move me to tears. The guy has depth.

Posted by: Scar2 | Jan 13, 2012 3:35:24 PM

2. A play? Why a play? How about a movie? A play will be seen by, what, 30 people?

Clooney is being slightly disingenuous in his concern for GLBT rights as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it's some form of perceived "compensation" for his almost total lack of support of our rights movie-wise. He's truly been lacking.

Posted by: jason | Jan 13, 2012 3:36:05 PM

3. Oh, and he's doing it for one night only. How token, George.

Posted by: jason | Jan 13, 2012 3:55:27 PM

4. The play is only being shown once. That is just like the Broadway performance. It's not unusual and it's not George's fault.

Posted by: Azgaard | Jan 13, 2012 4:31:18 PM

5. This performance is a fund-raiser with tickets starting at $500. Clooney is a major draw and will help to sell-out the show.
    I fail to see the down side of this.

I suspect that this will either be made into a movie or a performance will be filmed and released on video or pay-per-view. Either one of those could also be used as a fund-raiser.

As an added attraction, they might include the actual courtroom footage - if they change the stupid rule that bars its release.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jan 13, 2012 4:51:37 PM

6. Once again "Jason" opens his mouth and idiocy dribbles out.

Among other things George was co-producer of Todd Haynes' "Far From Heaven."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 13, 2012 5:48:23 PM

7. George has never done one movie role that can be considered a gay role. He has that straight image to protect, of course.

Many say that it is exactly that, an image. Scratch the surface and you find something altogether different....

Posted by: jason | Jan 13, 2012 5:54:02 PM

8. People change. If George Clooney's attitude is improving with age, so be it. There's no down side to people changing for the better.

Posted by: Artie | Jan 13, 2012 6:04:25 PM

9. So it's a one performance play instead of something that might be seen by millions. But sometimes, a big change happens because one person is in the right place at the right time to hear the right words. I'll be hopeful and optimistic about that. Ripples in the water...

Posted by: justinw | Jan 13, 2012 6:57:20 PM

10. He could, and I wish he would do a lot more for our (and his) cause, but as long as he remains closeted, he probably won't.

It's Hollywood's worst kept secret, yet he still appears too worried about his career to make the move. Which he really needn't.

Please just go for it, George! :)

Posted by: Jules | Jan 13, 2012 7:33:07 PM

11. Le sigh. Wish I could afford a ticket. It was one thing when this was one night 3000 miles away - but now it's in my home town. Bah. Want.To.See.It.

Posted by: Zlick | Jan 13, 2012 7:39:52 PM

12. I've never heard any rumors about George Clooney being gay. You know, guys, some people ARE straight. Deal with it. Travolta and Cruise, on the other hand... Well, who knows?

Posted by: Abel | Jan 14, 2012 12:22:58 PM

13. I am an independent but I will tell you that George Clooney and the stupid celebrities have not even investigated any of Obama's record. Pure ignorance is rampant in Hollywood because they are basically siding with a socialist president who lies to the public and then does other things without anyone looking. He is undermining the country and has been for years. Anyone who has anything to do with Georrge Soros & The Bilderberg group is socialist/communist. Do your homework. George Clooney is supporting a socialist and other celebrities are as well. Just because your good looking doesn't mean you have good judgement. Thanks George for destroying our country! I won't see your movies..

Posted by: wilsonsandy | May 11, 2012 3:40:38 PM