Gay Marriage | News | Washington

BigGayDeal.com

Governor Christine Gregoire to Introduce Marriage Equality Bill in Washington State: 'It's The Right Thing to Do'.

As Andrew said she might do in a post yesterday, Washington Governor Christine Gregoire today announced her intention to introduce a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in her state, the Seattle Times reports:

Gregoire“It’s time, it’s the right thing to do, and I will introduce a bill to do it,” Gregoire said. “I say that as a wife, a mother, a student of the law, and above all as a Washingtonian with a lifelong commitment to equality and freedom. Some say domestic partnerships are the same as marriage. That’s a version of the discriminatory ‘separate but equal’ argument.”

If legislation is approved, Washington would be the seventh state in the nation to legalize gay marriage, after Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York.

“Our gay and lesbian families face the same hurdles as heterosexual families—making ends meet, choosing what school to send their kids to, finding someone to grow old with, standing in front of friends and family and making a lifetime commitment,” Gregoire said. “For all couples, a state marriage license is very important. It gives them the right to enter into a marriage contract in which their legal interests, and those of their children if any, are protected by well-established civil law.”

Today's statement was the first time Gregoire has publicly endorsed marriage equality. The bill will be introduced during the legislative session that starts on Monday.

Read Gregoire's full statement HERE.

Comments

1. Very powerful press conference today...so proud of my Governor today! With advocates like this , we will seee Marriage Equality In Washington state in 2012!

Posted by: steve | Jan 4, 2012 2:39:34 PM

2. Anyone from Washington, or with knowledge of its state politicos, know of the chance of it passing and Wash being the 7th state?

Posted by: giff | Jan 4, 2012 2:46:50 PM

3. I'm glad we are getting to the point where marriage equality bills can be proposed by governors and enacted by legislatures. Very proud of New York State for being a powerful example. Wishing supporters in Washington state good luck in this effort.

Posted by: Alberto | Jan 4, 2012 3:07:15 PM

4. As a Washingtonian, I'm so proud of our governor today. She makes such wonderful points about separate but equal and the realities of gay family life. Yay!!!

As for passage, I'd say it's more than 50% likely. Polls show most Washingtonians are on board and in 2010 the voters re-affirmed the "everything but" law we have now. Also, the folks pushing the bill now are VERY thoughtful and strategic, so are unlikely to "throw away" the opportunity.

In terms of state demography: the Western part of the state tends much more liberal than the east. But at the same time, there is a strong libertarian slant to the east and a respect for "fairness", so it's not such a political third rail.

Posted by: David R. | Jan 4, 2012 3:14:38 PM

5. While Democrats have control of the house and Senate, it is not too uncommon for some of them to vote with the Republicans, especially those elected in the east side of the state (mostly rural, smaller and more conservative population) or from the suburbs. I guess Gregoire announcing she wasn't going to run for reelection has done even more good for progressives here in WA. She is extremely unpopular because of the state budget cuts. Now she has not only given Democrats a fighting chance by not running again, but also by is also proposing this great piece which could rally the base.

Posted by: Emmanuel Carrillo | Jan 4, 2012 3:16:56 PM

6. @Giff, the chances are good. The votes are there in the House. The Senate will be the legislative hurdle and given the state's demographics there should be a small handful of potential pick ups, even GOP ones. There are a few GOP State Senators representing districts in the Seattle suburbs, and given those they represent it might actually be in their best interest to support a marriage equality bill.

Gov. Gregoire said she was going to get the votes and I'm guessing those GOP State Senators are high on her list.

Posted by: searunner | Jan 4, 2012 3:32:28 PM

7. This news actually brings tears to my eyes. It's true, gay families are just like straight ones. We work together, as husband and husband, to build a better life for ourselves and our family (son). What school do we put him into, growing up and old together, caring for one another in sickness, the unconditional love. There are those who have no clue what that means or how it feels but every time Greg wraps his arms around me and says you're my world or Steven (son) says "I love you daddy," the fact that we are legally married brings it all home to me. We are a family and we are loved. It's the most wonderful feeling I can think of, honest.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 4, 2012 3:46:31 PM

8. I strongly recommend people watch Gov. Gregoire's speech and listen to the Q&A afterwards.

She spoke honestly and powerfully today.

Posted by: searunner | Jan 4, 2012 3:53:16 PM

9. Good for Washington - I am more optimistic about it passing there than Virginia or Maine. I just hope it isn't a repeat of NJ or Rhode Island, or NY in 2008, where Democrats voting "no" scuttled the gay marriage bills.

Posted by: KP | Jan 4, 2012 4:15:31 PM

10. Rah! for my state, my governor and the realm I love. She is perhaps the equal of that great late Jack Layton of Canada who claimed himself a "Layton homosexual" -thanks Kiwi for letting us know about that a few months ago.

The Northwest has a long history of liberalism, live and let live is in the blood of people who are surrounded by our sensational land and seascapes (which isn't a political theory, it's just the only reason I can think of for people to be too otherwise preoccupied to beat up on each other).

If we actually achieve marriage equality soon it will be big time frosting on the cake. Now I want to be in love again.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 4, 2012 4:50:25 PM

11. As somebody who's on vacation in Seattle this week, I must say, this is wonderful! My partner and I have been eyeing up a move to Seattle for some time, we're even looking at neighborhoods on this trip, and announcements like this make the decision even easier.

OS2GUY: As somebody in the beginning stages of building the life you describe (although my partner wants 5 kids--I'd be happy with 2), your comment brought tears to my eyes. THANK YOU!

Posted by: Derek in Madison | Jan 4, 2012 4:55:36 PM

12. OK, be welcome Derec and partner. You're in for a great life.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 4, 2012 8:24:34 PM

13. My first question is, Are You a Christian?
    Do You believe in God? Do you obey Gods word? Do you own a Bible? and Do you read some of it each day?
    The reason I ask is this, Why are you doing this Same sex marriage thing? You are The main leader in Washington State. Can 2 men in bed make a baby by themselves? How about 2 women? Are you married to a woman? Why not? Before you make the biggest mistake of your life and have God frown apon you, You might want to turn to the bible for guidance. If you do not know where to look in the bible, I invite you to have a bible study with Me. You choose the place and I will bring my bible and if you do not have one I will bring two, one for me and one for you. I tell you thios again, if you make this offel addition to law with out Bible help you will be making the biggest mistake of your life. God sees what you are doing and He is not happy with your decision. Think again Govenor, Before it's too late. If God had ment for Man to sleep with Man, when God made Adam, God would have taken a Rib from Adam and made a John and not a Eve. Save yourself Govenor before it's too late.
    Your Friend.
    Mack.

Posted by: Mack Varnes | Jan 8, 2012 12:45:15 PM

14. The Iranian Transactions Regulations Practice Guide is the first ever practice guide wholly ay that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

Posted by: Nike Heels | Jan 12, 2012 10:40:49 PM