Chris Gregoire | Gay Marriage | News | Washington

BigGayDeal.com

WA Governor Chris Gregoire Condemns Anti-Gay Discrimination, Announces Marriage Equality Bill: VIDEO

C_gregoire

Earlier I posted the news that Washington Governor Chris Gregoire endorsed marriage equality today. Here, via Think Progress LGBT, is her speech.

Said Gregoire, in part:

Some argue that the state should deny a marriage license to same-sex couples based on the premise that marriage is for procreation. Do we then deny a license to heterosexual couples who choose not to have children?… To those who can’t have children or those who adopt?…
To those who have children through in-vitro fertilization?

Some argue that same-sex marriage weakens the institution of marriage. Is this a role of the state? If so, it has failed miserably with a divorce rate among heterosexual couples now at about 50 percent.

Some argue that the state must deny a marriage license based on religious beliefs.

With a marriage license, couples marry in civil or religious ceremonies.

In issuing the license, the state should not involve itself in an applicant’s religion.

The responsibility of the state is to license only. The right of a church is to decide whom to marry, and the state will honor the religious freedom of all faiths.

The arguments used today to discriminate based on sexual orientation should remind all of us of the arguments used to discriminate in the past, and specifically the laws banning interracial marriage...

Gregoire also described her "journey" in endorsing marriage equality: "Let me just tell you I feel so much better today than I have for the last seven years.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. As a native Washingtonian, I say Hallelujah and good on her. I'll keep my fingers crossed that marriage equality will become reality there and across the country... when I think of what it was like for me as a kid growing up in a place where "gay" meant "only people who don't live here", and then imagine what it would have been like if actual married gay couples existed, the difference is clear. I never thought I'd live to see the day when this is actually under discussion.

Posted by: metroptomist | Jan 4, 2012 5:39:05 PM

2. Normally I could give a rat's ass about posting first BUT this Gregoire is one helluva woman who deserves kudos and major respect for breaking equality down in basic steps even the lowest mouth breathers can fathom. Thank you lady!!!

Posted by: TADPOLICUS WEX | Jan 4, 2012 5:39:45 PM

3. I'm honestly crying at my desk while working. This woman is my new hero!!!

Posted by: David | Jan 4, 2012 5:41:51 PM

4. This is amazing LEADERSHIP in our country... equality in the United States of America!

Posted by: Jim | Jan 4, 2012 5:42:26 PM

5. That speech really nailed all the arguments. Concise, cogent, and absolutely watertight in its logic. True, it's what we've all been saying for so many years, but I appreciate the very direct way in which she refutes the tired, bigoted, and discriminatory arguments against same-sex marriage. And until we are fully equal, such clear rebuttals need repeating at every possible opportunity.

Posted by: atomic | Jan 4, 2012 5:47:23 PM

6. I heart my governor.

Posted by: KJ | Jan 4, 2012 5:48:46 PM

7. God Bless You, Gov. Gregoire.

Posted by: Peter | Jan 4, 2012 5:52:36 PM

8. This great lady has summarized in three short paragraphs, with impeccable logic, what should be clear to anybody with half a brain!

Posted by: roupie | Jan 4, 2012 5:53:24 PM

9. Excellent.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 4, 2012 5:55:24 PM

10. I love her, Gregoire 2016! Oh wait, have to go with my governor first, Cuomo 2016!!!

Then Gregoire!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jan 4, 2012 6:07:23 PM

11. Good for her and great for us!

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jan 4, 2012 6:15:52 PM

12. Wow... simple logic and thought by her. I especially liked her comments about the 7 year conflict she personally had. Cudo's to Gregoire! This is really what separation of church and state should be about!

Posted by: scooter | Jan 4, 2012 6:19:35 PM

13. Ditt, ditto, ditto!

How about a Cuomo/Gregoire ticket in 2016?

Posted by: David R. | Jan 4, 2012 6:23:09 PM

14. Everything ATOMIC said! I repsect especially the Governor's acknowledgement of her prevarication, which had the appearance, to my ears at least, of a sincere & heartfelt apology. Congratulations America on another splendid victory in the long & arduous battle. Great strides are made by baby steps.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jan 4, 2012 6:25:24 PM

15. I couldn't be prouder of our governor, today.

Now comes the hard part: we need to get this through the House and Senate. Please support our lobbying efforts: https://equalityfederation.salsalabs.com/o/35037/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=118

Posted by: Rod Hearne | Jan 4, 2012 6:50:27 PM

16. I sent her an email thanking her for her support. I hope everyone on Towleroad will too. It only takes a few minutes and lets our supporters know we appreciate them. So get typing everyone.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 4, 2012 6:51:19 PM

17. This is the first time I've seen people here agree on anything. I didn't think I would live this long.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 4, 2012 7:12:57 PM

18. Brought tears to my eyes. Now THAT is a fierce advocate.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Jan 4, 2012 8:14:03 PM

19. She's a Democrat. Um, so, what do the Log Cabinettes and the GOProud Girls think about that?

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 4, 2012 9:43:48 PM

20. Now that is a leader!! Wish she would run for president this is what we need!! @ Jay that is a good idea & I will do just that!!!!!

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 4, 2012 9:46:40 PM

21. Gave me chills! Her delivery was perfect. I love my annual trips to Seattle even more!

Posted by: Matt Ford | Jan 4, 2012 10:19:01 PM

22. Has anyone noticed that man of the potential contenders for 2016 on the Dem side are now publicly in favor of marriage equality? Not just Gregoire and Cuomo, but my governor Martin O'Malley, Deval Patrick, John Lynch, Peter Shumlin, and Mark Dayton all now support the issue. If even a handful of them run in 2016, assuming the Supreme Court has not already addressed the issue, Dems may actually be forced to actually campaign FOR marriage equality rather than splitting hairs.

Posted by: James C | Jan 4, 2012 11:23:46 PM

23. I am so proud to be a Washingtonian. Thank you governor Gregoire.

Posted by: Akira | Jan 4, 2012 11:46:09 PM

24. Thanks to Governor Gregiore for being a leader in the progress of equal rights. I live in Michigan, and we have a bigoted governor, so this won't be happening here anytime soon. However, her courage gives hope to gay citizens in states which continue to discriminate.

Posted by: Bill T | Jan 15, 2012 11:33:53 AM

25. What a Governor! What a state! What a hope to hold. Gov Chrisie, don't ruin this...

Posted by: ROBERT BAKER | Feb 15, 2012 9:46:10 PM