I'm Not Gay | News | Nick Jonas

Nick Jonas: None of the Jonas Brothers are Gay

The Advocate's Brandon Voss asks Nick Jonas what impact it might have on his career if a Jonas brother came out of the closet. Jonas replies that the question doesn't apply:

JonasThe amazing thing about our fans is that they’re incredibly supportive about everything that we do, but I have to separate us from the equation because the three of us aren’t gay. If someone in our position came out, I’d hope that support would carry over and that their fans would love them just the same.

Jonas adds that despite his Evangelical Christian upbringing he has no issue with gay people:

My upbringing was faith-based, but we believed you should love all others as you want to be loved, because everyone should be treated equally. That’s helped me have an understanding of people on different journeys and in different walks of life. At the end of the day, we’re all the same, because we all want to be loved.

Though he dodges a question on whether he supports same-sex marriage:

My friends are my friends, and people that I’m acquainted with don’t necessarily share the same opinions as I do, and that’s how I’ll put that. My thoughts on gay marriage are that everyone has the right to love and be loved, and that’s the position I take.

Jonas says he's had a lot of gay friends over the years and was introduced to gay people as part of the Broadway community. He says his gay fans give really good gift:

My brothers and I totally look forward to meeting them, because they really respond to our style, and it’s cool to see how our influence has impacted what they’re wearing. They also give really good gifts at our meet-and-greets — hats, scarves, and other things. They always have good taste.

Stage Brother [the advocate]

Comments

1. God damn, There is just nothing creepier than when these "idol" talk about fan gifts, like it's some sort of morbid tribute.

Also, when in a position of influence, especially youth, Doing crap like not telling people what you think shows your cowardice. Stop being such a baby and tell people that you are OK with gay marriage (or against it, whatever, own it).

Posted by: Fenrox | Jan 18, 2012 12:40:18 PM

2. Why do I feel patronized by a delusional airhead?

Posted by: Rob | Jan 18, 2012 12:54:57 PM

3. I actually didn't feel his marriage answer was evasive in the context of the question; the question was that because he was seen hugging an anti-gay figure, his gay fans worried he might be anti-gay, and what is his position on gay marriage. So in replying that his opinions are not those of some of his acquaintances, he was referring to the anti-gay marriage figure (Warren). He didn't say, "I'm for marriage equality," but I think he might believe he did give that impression.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 18, 2012 1:00:46 PM

4. Phew...well I can sleep tonight.

Posted by: mb | Jan 18, 2012 1:02:00 PM

5. I just saw DanRad on broadway in the role. He fully and completely supports gays and gay marriage. I wouldnt waste a dime on seeing his silly a** in this show. I do NOT support those who cannot come out and openly support me.

Posted by: JWL | Jan 18, 2012 1:25:16 PM

6. Why is The Advocate giving air-time to a homosexuality-denier? The Advocate is trash. Nuff said.

Posted by: jason | Jan 18, 2012 1:26:25 PM

7. I wouldn't know a Jonas tune if I heard one, but this Jonas's response is significant, not because he's a Jonas, but because the younger Evangelicals are heading into the direction in which matters of sexual orientation are a non-issue. Having grown up in Evangelical Land, I have to point out that this is a huge shift, and though some of us may think, "Too little, too late," I am very glad to live in a time in which I've gotten to witness this shift, and contributed to it in my small way. It truly is getting better.

Posted by: KJ | Jan 18, 2012 1:26:44 PM

8. When someone's this evasive in their answers as Mr. Jonas is here, you know he's a bigot.

"My thoughts on gay marriage are that everyone has the right to love and be loved, and that’s the position I take." Could his answer be more dickish? How about, "Yes, I support marriage equality." except that he doesn't.

And you can be sure he believes being gay is a sin. How many times have we been down this road with these fools?

We have "good taste" and give "good gifts". I'll bet he believes we're fabulous dancers too. Charming.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 18, 2012 1:31:53 PM

9. I'm glad I read the full interview because he came across a lot better and more supportive of the gay community than these quotes suggest.

Posted by: Paulie | Jan 18, 2012 1:32:22 PM

10. in a day and age when so many people in the public eye can, and WILL say, "I SUPPORT EQUAL MARRIAGE AND EQUAL RIGHTS" there's no excuse to make excuses for pussyfooting wimps who can't be clear and direct.

this is not impressive.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 18, 2012 1:37:36 PM

11. Have you seen Kevin Jonas talk and walk??? He is way beyond gay.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 18, 2012 1:47:03 PM

12. There was that rumor last year one of them was gay and then, BAM!, the next week Kevin gets engaged. Go do the math.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 18, 2012 1:52:42 PM

13. None IS gay. Not 'are'. Well, that may not be true, but at least the grammar is correct.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 18, 2012 1:55:27 PM

14. The Jonas Brothers are patently offensive, but so is having my comment deleted for using the word tw@t. If for some reason, that is offensive to whatever filtering mechanism this blog uses, then I would certainly suggest finding something that at least addresses comments more consistently.

Posted by: ESA | Jan 18, 2012 2:13:08 PM

15. The "gay-marriage" quote here is taken WAY out of context. If you go to the Advocate and read the entire interview, including the question that the out of context quote here was in response to, you'll realize that he wasn't at all evasive and he was very clear in his support for marriage equality. He was making the point that he has "acquaintances" who don't favor marriage equality that he disagrees with but as for he and his "friends" they support marriage equality.

Let's not make enemies out of allies just because they are Christian. In fact we should embrace Christian allies. They will be very valuable in turning this country around.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 18, 2012 2:16:27 PM

16. @Eric that's not true, "none are" is perfectly acceptable since the number of Jonas Brothers is countable.

Posted by: Zell | Jan 18, 2012 2:19:07 PM

17. Everyone should read the interview before commenting. His comments are taken way out of context in the blog post. The whole gay marriage "evasion" was actually in direct response to a question on Rick Warren's anti-gay marriage view. Nick basically said he disagreed with that view. I have a feeling he didn't want to come out and say he was in favor of gay marriage in order to not piss off his conservative fans (which is still kind of crappy but understandable for a celebrity).

Reading the rest of the interview it is obvious he has a very positive view of LGBT people and says he is going to follow in Daniel Radcliffe's footsteps and support The Trevor Project and other great charities. He acknowledged his gay fans and even gave support for those suffering from anti-gay bullying. All in all, a pretty good interview.

Posted by: KP | Jan 18, 2012 2:25:23 PM

18. Nope, Tampazeke, it's "None is gay" as in "Not one". One is gay, two are gay. Singular.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 18, 2012 2:39:39 PM

19. I guess he never met his brother

Posted by: say what | Jan 18, 2012 3:06:24 PM

20. Eric, I wanted to be with you on this grammar point, especially because "none is" sounds better. But both "is" and "are" are acceptable in this case. Look it up.

Posted by: shane | Jan 18, 2012 3:10:25 PM

21. Agreed - this is totally one of those situations where you have to read the interview in full. Great read.

Posted by: Grunt | Jan 18, 2012 3:37:48 PM

22. Brandon Voss can still keep his wet dreams!

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Jan 18, 2012 3:50:37 PM

23. The headline is incorrect. Jonas only says that "the three of us aren’t gay". That means that one or two could be, just not all three of them. ;-)

Posted by: Paul | Jan 18, 2012 4:02:50 PM

24. None of them have ANY talent either. these closet fags are embarassing

Posted by: Kevin thor | Jan 18, 2012 4:22:29 PM

25. I noticed that too. He said "the three of us aren't gay" which, IMHO, is one way of saying, "...but one of us is". I would think if he didn't have a gay brother he would say "Me and my brothers are not gay."

Posted by: Michael | Jan 18, 2012 5:03:07 PM