Nick Jonas: None of the Jonas Brothers are Gay

The Advocate's Brandon Voss asks Nick Jonas what impact it might have on his career if a Jonas brother came out of the closet. Jonas replies that the question doesn't apply:

JonasThe amazing thing about our fans is that they’re incredibly supportive about everything that we do, but I have to separate us from the equation because the three of us aren’t gay. If someone in our position came out, I’d hope that support would carry over and that their fans would love them just the same.

Jonas adds that despite his Evangelical Christian upbringing he has no issue with gay people:

My upbringing was faith-based, but we believed you should love all others as you want to be loved, because everyone should be treated equally. That’s helped me have an understanding of people on different journeys and in different walks of life. At the end of the day, we’re all the same, because we all want to be loved.

Though he dodges a question on whether he supports same-sex marriage:

My friends are my friends, and people that I’m acquainted with don’t necessarily share the same opinions as I do, and that’s how I’ll put that. My thoughts on gay marriage are that everyone has the right to love and be loved, and that’s the position I take.

Jonas says he's had a lot of gay friends over the years and was introduced to gay people as part of the Broadway community. He says his gay fans give really good gift:

My brothers and I totally look forward to meeting them, because they really respond to our style, and it’s cool to see how our influence has impacted what they’re wearing. They also give really good gifts at our meet-and-greets — hats, scarves, and other things. They always have good taste.

Stage Brother [the advocate]

Comments

1. Fenrox says

God damn, There is just nothing creepier than when these “idol” talk about fan gifts, like it’s some sort of morbid tribute.

Also, when in a position of influence, especially youth, Doing crap like not telling people what you think shows your cowardice. Stop being such a baby and tell people that you are OK with gay marriage (or against it, whatever, own it).

2. says

I actually didn’t feel his marriage answer was evasive in the context of the question; the question was that because he was seen hugging an anti-gay figure, his gay fans worried he might be anti-gay, and what is his position on gay marriage. So in replying that his opinions are not those of some of his acquaintances, he was referring to the anti-gay marriage figure (Warren). He didn’t say, “I’m for marriage equality,” but I think he might believe he did give that impression.

3. JWL says

I just saw DanRad on broadway in the role. He fully and completely supports gays and gay marriage. I wouldnt waste a dime on seeing his silly a** in this show. I do NOT support those who cannot come out and openly support me.

4. KJ says

I wouldn’t know a Jonas tune if I heard one, but this Jonas’s response is significant, not because he’s a Jonas, but because the younger Evangelicals are heading into the direction in which matters of sexual orientation are a non-issue. Having grown up in Evangelical Land, I have to point out that this is a huge shift, and though some of us may think, “Too little, too late,” I am very glad to live in a time in which I’ve gotten to witness this shift, and contributed to it in my small way. It truly is getting better.

5. MARCUS BACHMANN says

When someone’s this evasive in their answers as Mr. Jonas is here, you know he’s a bigot.

“My thoughts on gay marriage are that everyone has the right to love and be loved, and that’s the position I take.” Could his answer be more dickish? How about, “Yes, I support marriage equality.” except that he doesn’t.

And you can be sure he believes being gay is a sin. How many times have we been down this road with these fools?

We have “good taste” and give “good gifts”. I’ll bet he believes we’re fabulous dancers too. Charming.

6. says

in a day and age when so many people in the public eye can, and WILL say, “I SUPPORT EQUAL MARRIAGE AND EQUAL RIGHTS” there’s no excuse to make excuses for pussyfooting wimps who can’t be clear and direct.

this is not impressive.

7. ESA says

The Jonas Brothers are patently offensive, but so is having my comment deleted for using the word tw@t. If for some reason, that is offensive to whatever filtering mechanism this blog uses, then I would certainly suggest finding something that at least addresses comments more consistently.

8. TampaZeke says

The “gay-marriage” quote here is taken WAY out of context. If you go to the Advocate and read the entire interview, including the question that the out of context quote here was in response to, you’ll realize that he wasn’t at all evasive and he was very clear in his support for marriage equality. He was making the point that he has “acquaintances” who don’t favor marriage equality that he disagrees with but as for he and his “friends” they support marriage equality.

Let’s not make enemies out of allies just because they are Christian. In fact we should embrace Christian allies. They will be very valuable in turning this country around.

9. KP says

Everyone should read the interview before commenting. His comments are taken way out of context in the blog post. The whole gay marriage “evasion” was actually in direct response to a question on Rick Warren’s anti-gay marriage view. Nick basically said he disagreed with that view. I have a feeling he didn’t want to come out and say he was in favor of gay marriage in order to not piss off his conservative fans (which is still kind of crappy but understandable for a celebrity).

Reading the rest of the interview it is obvious he has a very positive view of LGBT people and says he is going to follow in Daniel Radcliffe’s footsteps and support The Trevor Project and other great charities. He acknowledged his gay fans and even gave support for those suffering from anti-gay bullying. All in all, a pretty good interview.

10. shane says

Eric, I wanted to be with you on this grammar point, especially because “none is” sounds better. But both “is” and “are” are acceptable in this case. Look it up.

11. Michael says

I noticed that too. He said “the three of us aren’t gay” which, IMHO, is one way of saying, “…but one of us is”. I would think if he didn’t have a gay brother he would say “Me and my brothers are not gay.”

12. anon says

Since these guys are basically slaves of the Disney company, I would think all their interview “answers” are written by their handler/publicist. They have no wiggle room because Disney is terrified of ruining their image.

13. David says

@Zell, you are wrong. “None is gay” is correct because “none” is always singular. The phrase “of the brothers” has no bearing on the verb used with a singular subject. English 101

14. ProfessorVP says

@Kevin Thor… None of them HAS any talent.

When I went to school, none- which means no one or not one, is treated as one. I know it’s a crazy world out there, but I think “one” is still singular. That said… What is Kevin or any Jonas brother going to say? “We have to be careful to keep our income high. Uh, because many of our fans are idiotic suburban white teenage girls who think they’ll marry us and would turn on us in one minute if one or two of us came out.” I’ve said this before; it is not about saving whales or elimating hunger, it is about money.

15. says

I wouldn’t expect him to have any important ideas about anything. He’s put together an answer that sounds like a lot of answers you hear form people that have been in the industry a while. He can’t really say the party line. His faith-based upbringing… I guess we are supposed to respect that, but I think open ridicule is maybe a better answer. I was really tolerant of Christians for a long time and I think it’s because I was brainwashed by Sunday School. I’m over that now, though. His ideas are ridiculous and he shouldn’t be treated like he’s some philosopher.

16. J L says

“None” can be either plural or singular. Don’t let them tell you otherwise!

As far as the Jonas Brother is concerned: if the article that the out-of-context quote was taken from says that he supports gays and gay marriage, then good for him.

17. Angela Channing says

How can he truly speak for his brothers not being gay? When people asked me if my brother was gay, I replied “I don’t think so, but you never know!”

18. pscheck2 says

He along with others like him, always come out,emphatically, saying they are str8, even though for some time it has been rumored that they are ‘suspect!’ How often, dear posters, have you read where these celebs come out of the closet a year or two later?? Now that this Jonas has declared his ahem,str8ness, he should shortly be assigned a ‘beard’ by his PR people! I wonder how long it is going to take before he has his ‘denouement?’

!

19. jamal49 says

@PSCHECK2 I would LOVE to have Nick’s denouement right in my hand. I think he’s adorable and having seen the JoBros when they did the Garden a while back (my ears are still ringing from the screams; I went with my neighbor to escort her daughter and two friends) I can safely say that of the three brothers, Nick is the most talented. I also think he is as cute as it gets. I hope he has a great run on B’way. Go Nick!

20. Kelli says

I don’t believe any of the brothers are gay however if you are a real fan then you aware of Joe’s overly affactionate nature towards baby bro Nick. I personally think its adorable and yes I’m a big fan of jonascest fanfic and have written some here and there. I love those boys.