2012 Election | Dan Savage | Keith Olbermann | Rick Santorum

Meet Rhiannon Pyle, the NH Student Who Confronted Santorum Over Same-Sex Marriage

Rhiannon

Buzzfeed speaks with Rhiannon Pyle, who confronted Rick Santorum on same-sex marriage yesterday: "When I got that opportunity I was like, I got this."

She says she wish she'd pushed harder: "I wish he'd answered about that because he just kind of like didn't even answer that part of it."

In other Santorum news, Dan Savage wrote a piece for The Guardian about Santorum's "homophobic frothing" and appeared on Keith Olbermann's show on Current TV on Tuesday night, reminding viewers that not only does Santorum have an anti-gay agenda, but an anti-straight one as well.

Writes Savage:

But Rick Santorum and the GOP have a much bigger problem on their hands than a joke my readers made at Santorum's expense nearly eight years ago. The GOP's doubling down on homophobia, the non-stop gay bashing, is going to cost them votes – and not just the votes of 9,000,000 (or more) LBGT Americans out there, but, again, the votes of tens of millions of our straight family members, friends and coworkers.

Watch the Olbermann clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Savage

Comments

1. Dan is smart. Dreamy too!

Posted by: Drew | Jan 6, 2012 12:22:15 PM

2. I love you, Rhiannon Pyle!

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Jan 6, 2012 12:38:51 PM

3. I hope her gay friends are taking her out for cocktails tonight.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jan 6, 2012 12:47:36 PM

4. Is Dan Savage actually getting hotter?

Posted by: tom a | Jan 6, 2012 1:37:25 PM

5. Savage is exactly right. The GOP constant hammering against gays will bring their demise. That message is only marketable to a small and dying breed of Americans, like the hate speech against Blacks in the 50's and 60's of which the Democrats were responsible. Our Democracy has been evolving since the rich, male, landowners of English descent established a new rule of order. Thanks to patriots like Pyle, the bigots will be silenced.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 6, 2012 1:37:58 PM

6. Dan Savage just got finished posting a column ("Sub's Paradox", 12/28) in which he tells Gay men it's OK to subject themselves to violent and homophobic rape/abuse scenes as long as they construct a "firewall" between their fantasies and their politics! Talk about carrying water for the oppressor! He is attempting to create safe space for Gay shame, of which there is far, far too much in this world. For a truly proud Gay person, there is no room for stigma, least of all in the bedroom! Savage has no credibility whatsoever accusing Rick Santorum of fronting: At least the Senator doesn't camouflage his homophobia in "sex-positive" bullsh*t. Wake up people! Dan-O pitches for the enemy at least as often as he masquerades as our champion. He is a two-faced Trick Daddy, the Newt Gingrich of Gay America!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jan 6, 2012 1:57:30 PM

7. stuffed animal, the idiocy of your blog and your self-defeating insecurities are hilarious.

we get it. you have a vendetta against Dan Savage, Queer Rising, and basically any other LGBT groups and people who have clout and intelligence on their side.

we get it. you're miserable and want others to join your Misery Party.

fail.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 6, 2012 2:15:24 PM

8. p.s. Stuffy I'm a proud gay man, and a proud self-identifying Queer.

suck on it. :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 6, 2012 2:18:54 PM

9. Hey Kiwi - I tried to read through his ramblings a few times, but can't get through the self-indulgent pontificating. He's more a sociopath than an intellect. And I don't mean that as an insult - I actually think he's a sociopath.
    I should've known I was in for maniacal rantings as soon as I read his bio:
    "I am a GUERRILLA CHRISTIAN, a Gay man who dares to accept JESUS CHRIST as his Lord and Savior and is willing to FIGHT for his beliefs."
    Oy.

Posted by: wiredream | Jan 6, 2012 2:28:37 PM

10. Bwahaha.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 6, 2012 2:30:58 PM

11. right? paging all nutcases!, eh? yeah. he hates queer-identifying people, thinks non-Christians go to Hell, and wonders why nobody wants to join in his crusade.

it's because you're certifiable, Stuffy. duh.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 6, 2012 2:32:52 PM

12. Rhiannon Pyle (what a name!!!) is an official Soldier Girl.

truly rad.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 6, 2012 2:37:06 PM

13. Rhiannon and I go to the same school and we are all so proud of her!

Posted by: pooterz | Jan 6, 2012 2:49:46 PM

14. Rhiannon looked into an eye of Santorum and didn't get dirty.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jan 6, 2012 2:52:56 PM

15. God, I've got to get something DONE today...but Kiwi if you ever get in real trouble one of these days, say someone grabs you and cuts out the tongue - I'll send money. You need a long life to also express the gold at center and not too fully covered even now.

Miss Pyle (indeed, what a name, but someone named Little Kiwi has no room to complain, give it to a parrot sweet one - don't hit me, don't hit me). Anyway, you rock Rhiannoa, and it's delightful to hear that you are a star now. It's true.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 6, 2012 3:02:55 PM

16. Oh, I doubt the Republicans will lose many votes from str8 people over gay rights. It won't occur to them to care.

Posted by: anon | Jan 6, 2012 3:23:22 PM

17. Anon, all I have to do is say to the straight people in my life that _____ is a homophobe and provide an example, and they pretty much will dig out the pitchforks and start the torches on their own.

Posted by: JayKingOfGay | Jan 6, 2012 5:10:22 PM

18. Santorum knows that he is not getting the gay or black vote. It will be interesting to see how far he goes with out the help of the his lunatic fringe supporters

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 6, 2012 5:58:23 PM

19. ah, swoon for Dan again :--).

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jan 6, 2012 9:09:21 PM