American Family Association | Comic Books | Kevin Keller | News

Archie Comics CEO Says Gay Character 'Will Live a Long Life, Free of Hate and Narrow-Minded People'

Marriage_keller

Archie Comics CEO John Goldwater has responded to a campaign from American Family Association project One Million Moms asking Toys R Us to remove an issue featuring gay character Kevin Keller's marriage from its shelves.

Said Goldwater: Goldwater

“We stand by Life with Archie #16. As I’ve said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It’s an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday. We’re sorry the American Family Association/OneMillionMoms.com feels so negatively about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by ours. Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people.“

Comments

1. Hear, hear! This is how it's done! Cheers to JG and the Archie world.

Posted by: lewlew | Feb 29, 2012 1:39:37 PM

2. "Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people." How nicely put. We should all have lives like Kevin Keller's.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Feb 29, 2012 1:55:12 PM

3. Perfectly worded. It's great to read something nice for a change.

Posted by: BC | Feb 29, 2012 1:56:28 PM

4. Thank you Mr Goldwater for the strong statement in the face this attempted censorship. Million Moms have the right to their opinion, as you said. However, this mom disagrees. I haven't been to my local comic book shop in a couple months (I need to go there and pick up my outstanding pull). I don't want to take the chance this issue is sold out so I purchased a couple copies of the issue through the archie comics on-line store. One is for my household, the others I'm giving to family & friends, My kids' friends with same gender parents don't often see their reality celebrated in this way. Bravo!!

Posted by: Maya | Feb 29, 2012 2:04:13 PM

5. @Maya. Well said.

Posted by: sylvatica | Feb 29, 2012 2:39:06 PM

6. That's a weird looking kitchen. And the sammiches are made of plastic.

Posted by: Viceroy | Feb 29, 2012 3:42:27 PM

7. that's so nice. the cartoon is perfectly PC! an interracial couple and one is in the military. i imagine they'll be adopting an asian baby, too.

Posted by: Keith | Feb 29, 2012 4:07:51 PM

8. @KEITH.....

Are you trying to be sarcastic.....or are just plain STUPID?

Posted by: Brains | Feb 29, 2012 4:16:32 PM

9. They're so two-dimensional! (adding to Keith's comments).

But let's not question why they were "drawn together".

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Feb 29, 2012 4:49:11 PM

10. Where's Jughead? Why don't I see Jughead in the picture?

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Feb 29, 2012 8:59:25 PM

11. :(

I didn't like Archie comics before Kevin Keller, so what do I do now? Can't I just support their organization by buying Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics makes it) from Toys R Us and writing them nice letters?

The problem is Archie comics are all about relationships (friendship, dating, familial)and I like superhero comics and graphic novels. Like if we saw Kevin Keller taking a super soldier serum I might want to buy it more.

Gay superheroes...I would buy a gay Captain America, but its never like a gay Captain America...it's always some dude with some crappy Mystery Men like superpower.

Maybe I'll write Marvel about making a gay superhero that doesn't suck (like teen Hulk).

...I feel guilty now. I guess I have to buy Archie.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 29, 2012 10:28:51 PM

12. Just to make things REALLY confusing: I read this today, and it's in "Life With Archie," which is currently juggling 2 alternate reality storylines (like NBC's "Awake"), one in which Archie has married Veronica, and one in which he's married Betty. But Kevin gets married in both storylines, though the circumstances of the ceremonies and backstories are somewhat different. Meanwhile, the debut of "Kevin Keller #1" has him still in high school, and dating! Egad.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 1, 2012 12:27:04 AM

13. Manny, if you get to see the cover, Jughead is on it eating the cake (presumably by cutting it before anyone else could get to it!).

Posted by: Mike | Mar 1, 2012 8:38:32 AM

14. @DBack: "Life With Archie" is an innovative title that focuses on the future of the Archie characters. There's an alternate reality storyline going, which explains the divergent futures. The series is quite excellent; you really should read the early issues. They've all been collected in a paperback anthology called "Archie: The Married Life". The Kevin Keller comic book is set in the present day.

I'm really impressed by Jon Goldwater's statement. Archie Comics used to be run by the late Michael Silberkleit, a rocks-in-his-jaws Conservative Christian. Kevin Keller would never have happened under his watch.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Mar 1, 2012 12:25:13 PM